Bassett Furniture

Updated Jan 23, 2015
Updated Jan 23, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online – interviewed at Bassett Furniture in January 2015.

Manager interviewed me over the phone. She was looking for "deal breakers" from the starts. They are looking for salesmen they can train to be design consultants, not the other way around. Sorry fellow starving artists.

Design Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bassett Furniture.

I applied and an interview was set up with the store manager and design lead. We covered a lot and they asked me to pull together a small design project. After that round I met with the district manager and he was tough but I got the job. I went through two weeks of training and later a design certification process.

Interview Questions
    There is none as you are commission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bassett Furniture in July 2014.

I sent my resume to the hiring manager and was called promptly within a few hours. it was the end of June and I was told that the general manager was going out of town and would be back in town and able to interview me on the 8th of July. I went in she was very friendly and nice and she interviewed me like the other person in the middle is the store with clients and customers walking by. After the interview I was informed that a man named Anthony, the district manager, would contact me an interview me. I was also told that the assessment that I did online would be sent to Anthony. I was told that the assessment was a profile invitation so when I went to started I thought I was just filling out some information about myself. The profile invitation was not just a profile it was a 6 section 4 hour test. The first 3 sections consisted of a full in depth psychological profile. Questions that asked things like are you the life of the party? Do you follow the rules? Do you sometimes break the rules? Do you sometimes like to be alone? Do you sometimes feel overwhelmed by life? As a master's level psychotherapist I find that this type of testing is a lot for a design position. I am trained to give these tests. These tests are meant to confuse, they asked the same question 5 different ways.The next part of the profile invitation also known as assessment from hell was a full on math test that included algebraic equations that I had not seen in 20 years. The fifth part of the profile invitation was more math but it was problem solving with patterns of numbers and questions like; "if a train left New York going to LA travelling at a speed of ...." the last part of the profile assessment was blank is to blank as blank is to blank. I never heard from Anthony. I called the manager that interviewed me and asked her if I could get a copy of my assessment because it looked like Anthony was not going to contact me. I did not get a response from her. Today, 9 days later, I received a general cut and paste email coming from her stating that they had many applications and they found other people that were more qualified. That joke of a profile invitation, again the assessment from hell, that lasted 4 hours...was harder and more brain racking than many of the Graduate tests I took in graduate school while I was there for 3 years. I'm not sure if I can ask the question here but if somebody reads this review can somebody please text and answer to this, are we allowed to see our assessment by law are we allowed to have the scores by law? I personally feel that my time was wasted interviewing for Bassett Furniture. I was made to wait over a week for an interview. I had to take an assessment that lasted over 4 hours and it was called a profile invitation and then I wasn't given a courtesy call by the district manager Anthony nor any other follow up message from my emails and then I was given a general cut and paste thanks but no thanks. I am NOT impressed with that company, with their ethics or with their testing policies. I want my test scores!!!

Interview Questions
    • None of the personal interview questions were difficult they were all expected. What are 3 things you like about youself? 3 things you don't like about yourself?why Bassett Furniture? Are you ok working most holidays, retail hours, nighttime? okay great well Anthony the district manager I will be in touch with you. I find it rude that Anthony could not even make a phone call. I also feel that I was very miss lead with regards to that testing. I was told to fill out a profile imitation about myself and then 4 hours later I was completing another SAT??? Do all that interview for the Design Consultant position have to complete this assessment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online – interviewed at Bassett Furniture in July 2014.

Very quick and easy process. Standard interview questions, nothing too crazy. Very nice and friendly atmosphere, but the interview was done in the middle of the store, so customers were walking around.

Interview Questions
    • Hardest question was "What are your three weaknesses?"   Answer Question

CERTIFIED DESIGN CONSULTANT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I was hired six years ago and the hiring process does not seem to have changed. Two interviews, first with the store manager followed by an online test. Second interview with District manager.

There really isn't any negotiation, it is a sales commission position.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Bassett Furniture in December 2013.

DM called for phone interview. She was very proffesional. Set up face to face interview. I was very impressed with her and the company. She said that she wanted me to meet the regional manager. The next interview was set for the following week. When I arrived to the second interview I was introduced to the regional and another gentleman and was told the DM I met is no longer the DM. The regional was patronizing and appeared to be showing off his "interview skills" for the new DM. I was not overly impressed with either of them. They had not reviewed my resume and the regional kept calling me by the wrong name. I was told that they would contact me in the the next few days. I did not hear from them so I called them. I am very qualified for this position and have an excellent track record so I was surprised when the new DM said they decided to go with aother candidate that had worked for Bassett before. He then went on to say that there were plans to open new stores and he would keep me in mind for future mamagement positions.3 weeks later and the posting remains open. I made another follow up call to reiterate my interest and asked that the DM call me back to let me know if the position was still open or had been filled. Again no call back.... very unproffesional. Bassett, don't you train your managers and DM to handle situations like this?? Why lie and say the position was filled when it is not! All the DM had to say was "thank you for the interest in the position that we are continuing our search fo the right candidate." I was not impressed with the new DM or the regional manager. My opinion is that you see the best of both the perspective employer and candidate during the interview process. If this is Bassett's best I am rethinking my interest in this company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bassett Furniture in August 2013.

I received a phone call about a week after applying for the design consultant position. I went into the store and met with the store manager and the general manager. They were both very nice and asked typical sales questions. The interview went very well. I met with them about a week ago but I have not heard back yet. I do not have sales experience but they seemed to also be looking for people who are hard working and willing to put in the effort to learn and excel.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bassett Furniture.

Interviews were fairly easy going... initial process was pleasant enough. Had four interviews (phone + three face-to-face).

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about some of your worst habits.   View Answer
    There was no "negotiation phase". You had to sell at least $30,000 of furniture per month. If you didn't make your quota, they added on what you failed to make to your next month quota (if you only did $25,000, then the next month your quota would be 35,000, etc., etc...)

Design Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Bassett Furniture in January 2012.

I was referred by a work associate who was also interviewing there. I was interviewed by the store manager, who asked appropriate questions and listened to my responses. She seemed nervous and stressed, however. She then had the store owner's son interview me, for final approval, and he talked the entire interview. When asked a question, he did not listen to my answers and only seemed to want to "sell" me on how great this opportunity was.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. I was told what the pay was going to be.

Office Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied in-person – interviewed at Bassett Furniture in May 2011.

The interview was brief and unexpectedly easy. The manager had been with the company so long, he asked only basic questions in regards to the job description.

Interview Questions
    There were no negotiations, just paperwork to fill out and introductions.