Bates White LLC

Updated Oct 17, 2014
Updated Oct 17, 2014

2.9

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bates White LLC in September 2014.

I applied online, both through my school's career services website, and through BW's website. After about a week, I received an email inviting me to the first round interview. The interview was 30 minutes of case, and 15 minutes of behavioral. I would recommend reading about BW's most prominent cases beforehand to provide insight for the case interview.

Interview Questions
    • The case interview is straightforward compared to management case interviews; BW is keen on candidates being able to explain a conclusion from two (or more) sides, so be able to argue from multiple perspectives.   Answer Question

Senior Economic Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bates White LLC.

I applied on online. The first round is a phone screen by HR, then a phone interview by HM. The third round is an onsite interview. Then flew me in the night before, and the onsite stared from 9am to 4pm, met with 7 different people and had lunch with two junior level manager.

Interview Questions
    • They asked details about my paper, some econometric questions I was not sure.   Answer Question

Summer Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bates White LLC.

First round on campus. All day final round on-site in DC. For final round, four behavioral/fit interviews, two cases, and lunch with consultants. Everyone was very friendly and supportive. All seemed passionate about their work. Company likes to have employees get an advanced degree while still working and will subsidize it.

Interview Questions

Not exactly the type of consulting I was interested in

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bates White LLC.

Recruited on Campus
    - First Round - 1 Hr Phone Interview of which 45 Minute was an interviewer led case
    - Second/Final Round - Flew into office in D.C. - 3 behavioral interviews and 2 case interviews. Both case interviews were interviewer led and had about 15 minutes of behavioral at the end.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bates White LLC in September 2013.

Submitted a resume, writing sample, and cover letter and answered innumerable questions through their website. Was invited to interview and invited to attend an optional dinner the night before the interview. They paid for the dinner and I learned a lot about the firm by asking questions and engaging some of the other consultants at the dinner the night before. The following day's interview was pretty straightforward. The case I was given was about apple and samsung and their bargaining relationship with verizon, at&t, and sprint. But that was quickly narrowed to how apple and samsung bargained with verizon.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bates White LLC in November 2011.

Phone interview for case and behavioral questions with Consultants. Fly-out for full day of case and behavioral questions. Two case interviews with Consultants. Two behavioral interviews with Principals. Lunch with Consultants. Case interviews involved IO and microeconomic issues in the airline industry, pharmaceutical industry, and computer industry. Each interview was around one hour in length.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss the shift in airlines to charge for baggage fees.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bates White LLC in April 2011.

I applied through my university's online job site. They held an interview on campus with two employees and me where they asked me behavioral and case questions, then flew me out to Washington DC for a full day of interviews including behavioral and case questions and meeting many employees. I received the offer the day of my interview.

Interview Questions
    • Given information about the rates at which a toxic spill cause cancer and insurance schedules, determine the liability of a specific insurance company.   Answer Question
    I was applying for an entry level job, so I didn't negotiate.

Intern Energy Practice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Bates White LLC in July 2009.

The process was simple and clean.Four People 30 minutes each.

Interview Questions
    • Load flow modelling techniques you have studied   View Answer
    Simple.They offered me a salary in my range.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bates White LLC in January 2008.

An intense interview process over a long day. Met with 9 different people in the firm, from consultants to partners for 1:1 behavioral interviews and case study interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Case study regarding estimating damages for anti-trust case.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bates White LLC.

Had a two part 45 min phone interview- behavioral and case study. The behavioral is pretty standard (why BW, economic consulting, example of a time you used a data set, example of time you worked in a group, etc.). The case study is also pretty straight forward, and tests microeconomic concepts. Read up on Wikipedia about the following and you should be ok: price discrimination, monopoly, oligopoly, cartels, perfect competition, market segmentation, substitute/ complementary goods, and elasticity.

On their website, they have a bunch of sample papers they produced for clients, which are really good preparation and fun to read through. Especially read the one about an M&A between prescription pharmacy vendors, as that highlights many aspects of what they do.

Interview Questions
    • How to partition a group of potential customers by specific attributes.   Answer Question