Bath & Body Works

Average Difficulty
236 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bath & Body Works in October 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed a week after I applied in person. It was a group interview with 4 others. Me and another girl had gotten the job. The interview was pretty basic and easy(your average interview questions.)

Interview Question – 2 things that you will MORE than likely come across:
Pick a product and sell it to us
If a customer brings in a used candle what do you do?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Minimum wage at 8.50/hr Position was seasonal and part-time but could potentially turn into a permanent position depending on work skills you show during your time there.

Very Easy Interview

Colorado Springs, CO

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bath & Body Works in September 2013.

Interview Details – I went in, asked for an application, filled it out and was scheduled for an interview the next day. The interview was with the store manager and the CSL (Customer Sales Lead). There was another girl being interviewed with me. There was only one interview, and I got the call about an hour later that I was hired. The other girl got hired too. It's the worst place in the world to work though, so I would highly recommend trying ANYWHERE else. :)

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you had a conflict with a friend, and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They just told me I had the job and that it was minimum wage pay, which is 7.78 in Colorado. If you get an offer, I would suggest declining. There are much better opportunities, and they have only given me 10 shifts in the 2 1/2 months I've worked there, so you will not make any money.

Chattanooga, TN

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bath & Body Works in October 2010.

Interview Details – There was a group interview in the areas in front of the store (inside the mall). There were about 5 other people interviewing with me. Not every person was asked to answer every question. It lasted about 15 minutes.

Interview Question – The questions were all pretty standard. Why do you want to work at BBW? What is your favorite product and why? How would you handle workplace conflicts?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They called about a week and a half later and set up a training date.

Lone Tree, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bath & Body Works in November 2012.

Interview Details – This was during the holiday season, so I was in a group of about 5 people. I had submitted my application to a manager. The Questions weren't difficult, they were very expected (what was a time you went above and beyond for a customer, what was a negative aspect of your last place of hire). You were asked to pick your favorite lotion and sell it to the other interviewees (be prepared to give a hand massage!).

Interview Question – How would you pamper a customer that came into our store?
How would you handle a customer that didn't want to be bothered?
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Yonkers, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bath & Body Works in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was refereed to a B&W interview through Workforce1 and went to the interview 2 days later. I brought a paper application (which included a page for three references) to the interview. I did a group interview with 3 other people. The hiring manager at this specific store was very nice and explained what B&BW was and what kind of people and positions they were looking for. She asked us to describe our selves, why we loved and wanted to work at B&BW, to describe a time we were in a successful team, and what would be included in a 30 second commercial about ourselves (what genre of music, what color font and background, etc). She gave us each a slip of paper and played four 30 second customer and B&B worker interaction videos. We were told what we would've done the same and/or different in each situation. It was extremely easy, one video showed a customer walking into a store and asking for a specific fragrance and the employee nicely told her she apologized and that they're were no more in the store. The customer then said "Thank, I'll just check XYZ store". You would just say something like "I would've recommended similar fragrances to the woman to see if she liked them instead of letting her leave so fast". It was a very smooth interview, maybe only because this hiring manager was SO nice. She didn't ask us to display how we would sell a product but I would still prepare for that, and also rehearse questions and answers with myself and other just in case the manager at your store isn't so nice and friendly. Overall, just take 20-30 minutes to PRACTICE your answers so you aren't pausing and being overshadowed by others in the group interview. They really just want to see your personality so be perky, look them in the eye, and SPEAK loud, enthusiastically and clearly, and smile and laugh, smile and laugh, smile and laugh. They also really check references so make sure the numbers you post are accurate and the people can put in a good word for you. It can be teacher, coaches, former employees, just someone that can help you out. The paper application asked for three but I put two and was still hired. But still aim for three and relax and don't be nervous. Just practice in the days leading up to it and do the best to make you're personality shine because that's what they're looking for. They said they would call me back in a week if I was hired but didn't call me back until 13 days later, 1 day before TWO week. So don't get too nervous if they haven't called you back in the time they said, but if you desperately want the job, CALL BACK and remind them that you're still passionately interested and for an update on your status. Good luck everyone!

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Just prepare to show them how you would sell an item, why you love B&BW and will be good for it (sell your personality and tell them you love to persuade people to buy clothes and things if you don't previous work experience), and to describe a time you worked successfully in a team (it can be school, work, extracurricular or whatever, just use a great example even if you have to exaggerate a little). SHOW them that you PASSIONATELY want to work at B&BW and that it's not just only about pay check for you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Cedar Falls, IA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bath & Body Works.

Interview Details – It was a group interview, which I felt was not the best way to do it, but I don't make the rules. It's awkward enough to go into a interview alone, it 's more awkward when there are 5 other people who you don't know.

Interview Question – All questions were expected for this job.   Answer Question

South Miami, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bath & Body Works in October 2013.

Interview Details – I had been to the store previously and saw that they were hiring so I jumped on that right away. I came back in and asked if I do it online or in person and they handed me an application to fill out and made sure to let me know that I must fill out all 3 reference referrals. I turned in the application after I had filled it out and handed it to an associate who came up to me (who turned out to be the manager) and she looked over my application while I was there and asked me what previous job of mine was my favorite, and why. She let me know when they would be starting interviews and I left. I got a call about a week later, and was asked to come in the following Monday (2 days from the phone call). I came into the store not knowing it would be a group interview, which turned out to be fine. They had us all pick our favorite body fragrance and later on we had to sell the product to her. We went over uniforms, products, etc. She then asked if we had any questions and after we were through she said to expect a call if we were chosen and then come in to start what they call "orientation".

Interview Question – It was a group interview so there were no individual questions. The only interesting yet difficult part of the interview was selling her the product.   View Answer

Interviewed at Bath & Body Works

Interview Details – I got a call for a interview at the store. It was a group interview with about ten people. I unfortunately got a group with one girl who took over the questions, so sometimes you had to speak up very quickly to be heard.

Interview Question – Sometimes they make you sell a random object, like a pen or pencil, so that can be hard if you aren't used to working a sales job.   Answer Question

San Juan, PR

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bath & Body Works.

Interview Details – Via internet. Then group interview. Then call

Interview Question – I dont remember. But they were not difficult   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bath & Body Works.

Interview Details – I found the application online and printed it out. After filling it out, I brought it to the store, and handed it to the woman behind the counter after a transaction. We had a brief discussion, and she said she preferred it when someone hands in an application over doing it online, because it gives the managers a chance to see the person ahead of time and make a connection.

A few days later, I was contacted by someone from the store and offered to choose a time and date for my interview. I set a time and when I arrived, I was told to pick out an item from the store to 'sell' to them during the interview. This threw me off a little, but I also found it different enough to be interested. I chose a pocketbac, because they're portable, come in different scents, and are a god-send when you're at a restaurant or outdoor attraction.

The interview itself was done with a store manager and another store manager from a different location. There were two other girls there, but I've heard the list is usually four or five, suggesting some don't show up. It was very laid back, but don't allow yourself to be too loose. Be honest, be sincere, and be friendly. Don't complain about previous co-workers or bad managers.

They are very particular about your references. They want at least two, preferably three, and they check them all. Even though I was told that if they didn't contact me within a week, that means they weren't going to offer me a job, a week and a half passed, and they contacted me asking for more references because they couldn't get through to some of them. I double checked with the references, and gave them new ones, and a week later, a call with a similar problem. They said to tell my references to call them! This was new and different to me, and I thought it was a very generous suggestion considering how patient they had been trying to reach them. A few days later, I was called and offered a position. I appreciate the extra length they went to get a hold of enough references to make a judged decision on offering me employment.

Interview Question – How would you handle a customer who has brought in a half used candle to be returned?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered a half dollar more than what I was paid at my previous retail job, so I accepted it.