Battelle Memorial

25 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Technician Interview

Interviewed at Battelle Memorial

Interview Details – Applied in December of 2012. Got called for a brief phone interview. Soon after received a phone call to come in for in-person interview in March 2013. Accepted the job and started work in April 2013.

Interview Question – If there was a blind person, how would you describe the color orange?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotion phase.

Manager Interview

I interviewed at Battelle Memorial in June 2010.

Interview Details – Very well managed interview with cross-section of the organization represented in the interview process.

Interview Question – Question about handling integration of multiple groups into one group from competing managers.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Battelle Memorial in January 2010.

Interview Details – In person interview w/ two people (line manager and program manager)
Waited 2+ weeks for offer.
Onboarding was very inefficient and confusing. Not everyone was on the same page.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Take it or leave it. No negotiation.

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist
Egg Harbor City, NJ

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Battelle Memorial.

Interview Details – The hiring process started with a phone interview with three people at the company. They decided to fly me out for an on-site interview, which consisted of talking to the potential bosses and co-workers, a lab tour, and ended with lunch. Everyone I talked to was very positive and overall it was a great experience. The work was very interesting and they were very clear about the expectations and the role I would fill.

Interview Question – Nothing really unexpected, just questions about my own work and background.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined the offer because I decided that I didn't want to move away from my family (even temporarily) for work. I probably would have accepted the offer if it was closer to home.

Solutions Chemist Lead Interview

Tooele, UT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Battelle Memorial in June 2010.

Interview Details – Given a phone interview and then a board interview usually with three individuals from the laboratory. Ask general questions on how you would handle a situation and equipment knowledge.

Interview Question – For a supervisory position the most difficult question was how to handle a disgruntled employee.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much of a negotiation phase, take the pay raise with more work or don't.

Very Difficult Interview

Researcher Interview

Researcher
Columbus, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Battelle Memorial.

Interview Details – Initial interview in 1985 was two full days with 10 separate one-on-one interviews with everyone from senior department manager to; peers-to-be, human resources, benefits... name it. Also included full escorted tours of facilities and a dinner interview with my two would-be immediate line managers on the evening of the first day. Provided excellent planning, preparation, itinerary, documentation, full relocation package. First-rate top-to-bottom and side-to-side. All that for a fresh college grad with internship experience.

Interview Question – The first one, whatever it was, then in second place: "Where do you see yourself in five years".   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was takin' what they were givin'. I negotiated a 20% raise a couple of years later.

Analyst IV Interview

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Battelle Memorial in May 2009.

Interview Details – I interviewed with my direct manager. He was very knowledgeable and easy to talk to. Explained the position well. He had a very good presence and this extended to the actual work environment. He worked hard on the contract side-by-side with everyone else, giving a positive impression to everyone in our sector. Unlike many other managers who relied on their staff too heavily, he was part of the team.

Interview Question – No particularly difficult questions but did ask questions appropriate to the position. Wanted to know my long term plans.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was fairly set based on the position, but able to get a modest increase and a signing bonus

Senior Technician Interview

Aberdeen, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Battelle Memorial.

Interview Details – Everyone on the team will meet with you in groups of two or three at a time. Some people will try to intimidate you with their questions as a power play attempt to see how smart you are while some will ask you ridiculous questions like, "Do you enjoy being in the lab?" when you are applying for a lab position. It's a long process but overall I think it's pretty easy.

Interview Question – When I was sitting in on the process as one of the interviewers, one colleague asked, "What animal are you most similar to?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It never hurts to try to negotiate. There is a salary range for every position.

Senior Chemist Interview

Stockton, UT

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Battelle Memorial in July 2011.

Interview Details – Initial interview was a phone interview, that progressed to a in person interview. I was flown to Utah for the interview and tour of the facility, it was a group interview with various department managers and supervisors. The interview lasted approximately 1.5 hours and the tour was another 45 minutes. The entire process lasted approximately 4 hours because of the security and tests required to enter the facility.

Interview Question – What is one of your weaknesses   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated 2 weeks vacation in advance, $3000 signing bonus and a relocation package. Be flexible but assertive when negotiating for various benefits.

Principal Research Scientist Interview

Principal Research Scientist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Battelle Memorial.

Interview Details – This was a full day interview. I was flown out to Columbus, OH and gave a 45 presentation. Everyone was extremely professional.

Interview Question – There were not any surprise questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Battelle Memorial

Worked for Battelle Memorial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Battelle Memorial interview questions and advice. All 25 interview reviews posted anonymously by Battelle Memorial employees and interview candidates.