Battelle Memorial Interview Questions & Reviews

2.9

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Battelle Memorial in May 2014.

I applied online and received a call about a week later from the hiring manager to follow up. After a week of trying to reach her I finally got her on the phone with about 5 minutes left into my lunch hour. She asked if I had a few minutes to which I said no, I've only got about 5 minutes until I have to go back into work from lunch. She told me that was plenty of time and she rushed through what should have been a much longer scheduled phone screen. The call was very rushed and I don't feel she gave me ample opportunity discuss my background and what I could bring to the position. I don't like companies that hire that way - catch you off guard and then don't give you a fair chance to market yourself. I was told I'd get a call within the week regarding next steps. I never received a call and about a month later I got a very generic email letting me know the position has been filled.

IT Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Battelle Memorial in July 2010.

Phone interview, and then interviewed with hiring manager. Another interview was setup the same day with a panel interview of 4-5 managers and scientists from other departments. Questions were more geared toward how my skills could be applied to each department and I was given scenarios and how I would handle them.

Technician Interview

Applied in December of 2012. Got called for a brief phone interview. Soon after received a phone call to come in for in-person interview in March 2013. Accepted the job and started work in April 2013.

Interview Questions
    • If there was a blind person, how would you describe the color orange?   Answer Question
    No negotion phase.

Manager Interview

interviewed at Battelle Memorial in June 2010.

Very well managed interview with cross-section of the organization represented in the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Question about handling integration of multiple groups into one group from competing managers.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Battelle Memorial in January 2010.

In person interview w/ two people (line manager and program manager)
    Waited 2+ weeks for offer.
    Onboarding was very inefficient and confusing. Not everyone was on the same page.

Interview Questions
    Take it or leave it. No negotiation.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Egg Harbor City, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Egg Harbor City, NJ

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Battelle Memorial.

The hiring process started with a phone interview with three people at the company. They decided to fly me out for an on-site interview, which consisted of talking to the potential bosses and co-workers, a lab tour, and ended with lunch. Everyone I talked to was very positive and overall it was a great experience. The work was very interesting and they were very clear about the expectations and the role I would fill.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected, just questions about my own work and background.   Answer Question

I declined the offer because I decided that I didn't want to move away from my family (even temporarily) for work. I probably would have accepted the offer if it was closer to home.

Solutions Chemist Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tooele, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tooele, UT

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Battelle Memorial in June 2010.

Given a phone interview and then a board interview usually with three individuals from the laboratory. Ask general questions on how you would handle a situation and equipment knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • For a supervisory position the most difficult question was how to handle a disgruntled employee.   Answer Question
    Not much of a negotiation phase, take the pay raise with more work or don't.

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Battelle Memorial.

Initial interview in 1985 was two full days with 10 separate one-on-one interviews with everyone from senior department manager to; peers-to-be, human resources, benefits... name it. Also included full escorted tours of facilities and a dinner interview with my two would-be immediate line managers on the evening of the first day. Provided excellent planning, preparation, itinerary, documentation, full relocation package. First-rate top-to-bottom and side-to-side. All that for a fresh college grad with internship experience.

Interview Questions
    • The first one, whatever it was, then in second place: "Where do you see yourself in five years".   Answer Question
    I was takin' what they were givin'. I negotiated a 20% raise a couple of years later.

Analyst IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Battelle Memorial in May 2009.

I interviewed with my direct manager. He was very knowledgeable and easy to talk to. Explained the position well. He had a very good presence and this extended to the actual work environment. He worked hard on the contract side-by-side with everyone else, giving a positive impression to everyone in our sector. Unlike many other managers who relied on their staff too heavily, he was part of the team.

Interview Questions
    • No particularly difficult questions but did ask questions appropriate to the position. Wanted to know my long term plans.   Answer Question
    Salary was fairly set based on the position, but able to get a modest increase and a signing bonus

Senior Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Aberdeen, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, MD

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Battelle Memorial.

Everyone on the team will meet with you in groups of two or three at a time. Some people will try to intimidate you with their questions as a power play attempt to see how smart you are while some will ask you ridiculous questions like, "Do you enjoy being in the lab?" when you are applying for a lab position. It's a long process but overall I think it's pretty easy.

Interview Questions
    • When I was sitting in on the process as one of the interviewers, one colleague asked, "What animal are you most similar to?   View Answer
    It never hurts to try to negotiate. There is a salary range for every position.

Worked for Battelle Memorial? Contribute to the Community!