Battelle Memorial Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Battelle Memorial.

Interview

I applied online as a new PhD graduate. Had a lunch interview a few weeks later, met with 3 people who were on my hiring team. Lunch was business casual- briefly went over my resume and goals and what my 'fit' would be at battelle. The battelle employees briefed me on my full day interview and what was expected of me. Had a full day interview at HQ with 45 minute presentation to start, followed by one on one (sometimes 2 employees) meetings for over 5 hours. I met over 35 engineers that day- I ran out of business cards! Make the presentation count- many of my interviewers said they were impressed by it and this made the one on one interviews easier and more casual. Be prepared for technical questions, questions about your resume, questions about your goals. I was asked everything and anything ranging from how I deal with failure to very technical questions pertaining to my PhD research. Prep for the interview. Review business management for the science and tech industry. Go take some MIT Sloan School of Management classes online for free - talk about project management in terms of your prior work and talk about strategy. It was stressed to me during my lunch interview that Battelle needs scientists with good business strategy and that is their resource void right now. Be shameless in mentioning STEM outreach and mentoring you've done. That is a huge part of the company culture and they want to know you'll show up on a Saturday morning to volunteer in the future. I said in my interview multiple times that this was my "dream job" casually. This made the hiring team excited, and made Battelle know they were a priority (I was honest and said I had other offers pending so this made me look earnest during my interview process). This helped get my hiring manager behind me as a new hire, which helped when doing salary negotiations.

Interview Questions

• if you had unlimited funding, what types of research projects would you pursue and why?   1 Answer

Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Belvoir, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Battelle Memorial (Fort Belvoir, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

I met with three Battelle employees, from two different sections within their Cyber Innovations Unit (CIU), who explained the purpose of the interview, the position, a little about the organization's hierarchy, and the company's history/vision/mission. This included the current problems they hope to solve by hiring someone for this position. The entire interview lasted about one hour.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to discuss my familiarity with job specific equipment.   Answer Question
    • I was asked if I felt confident that I could obtain the required certifications.   Answer Question
    • I was asked to describe my most memorable moment working in my field.   Answer Question
    • I was asked to describe the specific duties of my previous position and my reasons for leaving.   Answer Question

Applied Researcher (Programmer) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Battelle Memorial (Columbus, OH) in May 2015.

Interview

I had 5 separate interview sessions with 2 individuals at a time. Each group was allocated 15 minutes to ask me questions. I only had one technical test (the second round) where I was asked to use any programming language to sort numbers. That was easy since I'd been doing programming exercises everyday (highly recommend this for at least a month before interviews). Talk through your approach during the technical test (they want to see how you think). I interviewed with people older and younger than me. (I'm in my 30s) After each interview session, I was taken to another office. Overall the experience was lighthearted and enjoyable. I didn't feel too stressed because it seems like my ideal work environment: nice people, own office, time to think, not too fast paced, fun projects, etc. The only thing is that I've been waiting over a month (interviewed in mid-June 2015 and we're now in late July) to find out if I got the job. Today I finally get the call and I miss it because I'm in the shower lol. I'll update as soon as I find out if I got it.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here at Battelle?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • (Technical) Use any language to write a function to sort numbers. Bonus: Rewrite the sort function (I couldn't answer this)   Answer Question
    • Is (your preferred programming language) interpreted or compiled? Explain.   Answer Question
    • Is C# strictly typed?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Battelle Memorial.

Interview

The interview process is very involved. For me, it started with a 30 minute phone screen with some general technical questions related to the position. From there, they send you a series of technical challenges to complete before your in-person interview. These are very challenging problems; they don't necessarily expect you to finish them all. You get about a week to complete the challenge problems and create a presentation that you will give during your interview. The in-person interview is a full day process that begins with the 30 minute presentation on your results from the challenge problem. From there you meet with members of the team for the rest of the day.

Interview Questions

• The challenge problems focus on general cyber security skills such as computer forensics, reverse engineering, vulnerability research, and cryptography.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Battelle Memorial in September 2014.

Interview

I went through a recruiter. First was a phone interview, and I was told on the phone that they wanted an in person interview. The next interview was scheduled about two weeks after the phone interview because it took a while to coordinate schedules. The in person interview was extremely thorough; it took about four hours, and I spoke with over 10 people. They interviewed me in groups of 2-4 people with similar professions. So first I was interviewed by mathematicians, then chemists, then business, then finally, developers.

Interview Questions

• I was handed a sample of F# code (they change this from interview to interview, but it's always an uncommon language that wasn't mentioned in the job description or your resume) and asked what it did.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Battelle Memorial (Columbus, OH) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a call about a week later from the hiring manager to follow up. After a week of trying to reach her I finally got her on the phone with about 5 minutes left into my lunch hour. She asked if I had a few minutes to which I said no, I've only got about 5 minutes until I have to go back into work from lunch. She told me that was plenty of time and she rushed through what should have been a much longer scheduled phone screen. The call was very rushed and I don't feel she gave me ample opportunity discuss my background and what I could bring to the position. I don't like companies that hire that way - catch you off guard and then don't give you a fair chance to market yourself. I was told I'd get a call within the week regarding next steps. I never received a call and about a month later I got a very generic email letting me know the position has been filled.

Technician Interview

Interview

Applied in December of 2012. Got called for a brief phone interview. Soon after received a phone call to come in for in-person interview in March 2013. Accepted the job and started work in April 2013.

Interview Questions

• If there was a blind person, how would you describe the color orange?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotion phase.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Egg Harbor City, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Battelle Memorial (Egg Harbor City, NJ).

Interview

The hiring process started with a phone interview with three people at the company. They decided to fly me out for an on-site interview, which consisted of talking to the potential bosses and co-workers, a lab tour, and ended with lunch. Everyone I talked to was very positive and overall it was a great experience. The work was very interesting and they were very clear about the expectations and the role I would fill.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really unexpected, just questions about my own work and background.   Answer Question

I declined the offer because I decided that I didn't want to move away from my family (even temporarily) for work. I probably would have accepted the offer if it was closer to home.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Battelle Memorial (Philadelphia, PA) in February 2014.

Interview

I thought I met "recruiters" at a university job fair, but it turns out later it was my boss and department managers which was nice. I talked to them for 10 minutes and something on my resume really jumped out at them because they set up an interview the next day for a part time position. We talked for about 30 minutes and they asked about past work and projects as well as "ideas" I had about any personal projects for the future.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too hard or unexpected. A bunch of questions how I could have made previous projects/code more object oriented.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation since it was part time internship. They called and told me the offer and asked if I wanted to start processing the paperwork.

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Battelle Memorial (Columbus, OH).

Interview

Initial interview in 1985 was two full days with 10 separate one-on-one interviews with everyone from senior department manager to; peers-to-be, human resources, benefits... name it. Also included full escorted tours of facilities and a dinner interview with my two would-be immediate line managers on the evening of the first day. Provided excellent planning, preparation, itinerary, documentation, full relocation package. First-rate top-to-bottom and side-to-side. All that for a fresh college grad with internship experience.

Interview Questions

• The first one, whatever it was, then in second place: "Where do you see yourself in five years".   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was takin' what they were givin'. I negotiated a 20% raise a couple of years later.