Battelle Memorial Interview Questions

Updated Feb 7, 2015
Updated Feb 7, 2015

2.8

Cyber Software Reverse Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Battelle Memorial.

The interview process is very involved. For me, it started with a 30 minute phone screen with some general technical questions related to the position. From there, they send you a series of technical challenges to complete before your in-person interview. These are very challenging problems; they don't necessarily expect you to finish them all. You get about a week to complete the challenge problems and create a presentation that you will give during your interview. The in-person interview is a full day process that begins with the 30 minute presentation on your results from the challenge problem. From there you meet with members of the team for the rest of the day.

Interview Questions
    • The challenge problems focus on general cyber security skills such as computer forensics, reverse engineering, vulnerability research, and cryptography.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Battelle Memorial in May 2014.

I applied online and received a call about a week later from the hiring manager to follow up. After a week of trying to reach her I finally got her on the phone with about 5 minutes left into my lunch hour. She asked if I had a few minutes to which I said no, I've only got about 5 minutes until I have to go back into work from lunch. She told me that was plenty of time and she rushed through what should have been a much longer scheduled phone screen. The call was very rushed and I don't feel she gave me ample opportunity discuss my background and what I could bring to the position. I don't like companies that hire that way - catch you off guard and then don't give you a fair chance to market yourself. I was told I'd get a call within the week regarding next steps. I never received a call and about a month later I got a very generic email letting me know the position has been filled.

Technician Interview

Applied in December of 2012. Got called for a brief phone interview. Soon after received a phone call to come in for in-person interview in March 2013. Accepted the job and started work in April 2013.

Interview Questions
    • If there was a blind person, how would you describe the color orange?   Answer Question
    No negotion phase.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Egg Harbor City, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Egg Harbor City, NJ

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Battelle Memorial.

The hiring process started with a phone interview with three people at the company. They decided to fly me out for an on-site interview, which consisted of talking to the potential bosses and co-workers, a lab tour, and ended with lunch. Everyone I talked to was very positive and overall it was a great experience. The work was very interesting and they were very clear about the expectations and the role I would fill.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected, just questions about my own work and background.   Answer Question

I declined the offer because I decided that I didn't want to move away from my family (even temporarily) for work. I probably would have accepted the offer if it was closer to home.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Battelle Memorial in February 2014.

I thought I met "recruiters" at a university job fair, but it turns out later it was my boss and department managers which was nice. I talked to them for 10 minutes and something on my resume really jumped out at them because they set up an interview the next day for a part time position. We talked for about 30 minutes and they asked about past work and projects as well as "ideas" I had about any personal projects for the future.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too hard or unexpected. A bunch of questions how I could have made previous projects/code more object oriented.   View Answer
    No negotiation since it was part time internship. They called and told me the offer and asked if I wanted to start processing the paperwork.

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Battelle Memorial.

Initial interview in 1985 was two full days with 10 separate one-on-one interviews with everyone from senior department manager to; peers-to-be, human resources, benefits... name it. Also included full escorted tours of facilities and a dinner interview with my two would-be immediate line managers on the evening of the first day. Provided excellent planning, preparation, itinerary, documentation, full relocation package. First-rate top-to-bottom and side-to-side. All that for a fresh college grad with internship experience.

Interview Questions
    • The first one, whatever it was, then in second place: "Where do you see yourself in five years".   Answer Question
    I was takin' what they were givin'. I negotiated a 20% raise a couple of years later.

Senior Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Battelle Memorial.

Everyone on the team will meet with you in groups of two or three at a time. Some people will try to intimidate you with their questions as a power play attempt to see how smart you are while some will ask you ridiculous questions like, "Do you enjoy being in the lab?" when you are applying for a lab position. It's a long process but overall I think it's pretty easy.

Interview Questions
    • When I was sitting in on the process as one of the interviewers, one colleague asked, "What animal are you most similar to?   View Answer
    It never hurts to try to negotiate. There is a salary range for every position.

Principal Research Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Battelle Memorial.

This was a full day interview. I was flown out to Columbus, OH and gave a 45 presentation. Everyone was extremely professional.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Battelle Memorial in April 2013.

Has a very lengthy interviewing process, and a very, very, very long decision making process.

Usually two phone interviews followed by a whole day's length of interviews on campus in Columbus.

Make sure you have one question about the interviewers objectives for your position and ask it consistently to each person who interviews you...the variety of conflicting answers will provide an excellent guide on the expectations you'll have to juggle across the position.

Statistician Interview

Very structured interview. You speak to a lot of different people in the department. It also concluded with a lunch at a pretty expensive restaurant