Battelle Memorial

Relevance Date Difficulty

Recruiter Interview

Recruiter
Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Battelle Memorial in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call about a week later from the hiring manager to follow up. After a week of trying to reach her I finally got her on the phone with about 5 minutes left into my lunch hour. She asked if I had a few minutes to which I said no, I've only got about 5 minutes until I have to go back into work from lunch. She told me that was plenty of time and she rushed through what should have been a much longer scheduled phone screen. The call was very rushed and I don't feel she gave me ample opportunity discuss my background and what I could bring to the position. I don't like companies that hire that way - catch you off guard and then don't give you a fair chance to market yourself. I was told I'd get a call within the week regarding next steps. I never received a call and about a month later I got a very generic email letting me know the position has been filled.

IT Coordinator Interview

IT Coordinator
Columbus, OH

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Battelle Memorial in July 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview, and then interviewed with hiring manager. Another interview was setup the same day with a panel interview of 4-5 managers and scientists from other departments. Questions were more geared toward how my skills could be applied to each department and I was given scenarios and how I would handle them.

Interview Question – Everything was straight forward.   Answer Question

Technician Interview

Technician

Interviewed at Battelle Memorial

Interview Details – Applied in December of 2012. Got called for a brief phone interview. Soon after received a phone call to come in for in-person interview in March 2013. Accepted the job and started work in April 2013.

Interview Question – If there was a blind person, how would you describe the color orange?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotion phase.

Manager Interview

Manager

I interviewed at Battelle Memorial in June 2010.

Interview Details – Very well managed interview with cross-section of the organization represented in the interview process.

Interview Question – Question about handling integration of multiple groups into one group from competing managers.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Battelle Memorial in January 2010.

Interview Details – In person interview w/ two people (line manager and program manager)
Waited 2+ weeks for offer.
Onboarding was very inefficient and confusing. Not everyone was on the same page.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Take it or leave it. No negotiation.

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist
Egg Harbor City, NJ

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Battelle Memorial.

Interview Details – The hiring process started with a phone interview with three people at the company. They decided to fly me out for an on-site interview, which consisted of talking to the potential bosses and co-workers, a lab tour, and ended with lunch. Everyone I talked to was very positive and overall it was a great experience. The work was very interesting and they were very clear about the expectations and the role I would fill.

Interview Question – Nothing really unexpected, just questions about my own work and background.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined the offer because I decided that I didn't want to move away from my family (even temporarily) for work. I probably would have accepted the offer if it was closer to home.

Solutions Chemist Lead Interview

Solutions Chemist Lead
Tooele, UT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Battelle Memorial in June 2010.

Interview Details – Given a phone interview and then a board interview usually with three individuals from the laboratory. Ask general questions on how you would handle a situation and equipment knowledge.

Interview Question – For a supervisory position the most difficult question was how to handle a disgruntled employee.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much of a negotiation phase, take the pay raise with more work or don't.

Very Difficult Interview

Researcher Interview

Researcher
Columbus, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Battelle Memorial.

Interview Details – Initial interview in 1985 was two full days with 10 separate one-on-one interviews with everyone from senior department manager to; peers-to-be, human resources, benefits... name it. Also included full escorted tours of facilities and a dinner interview with my two would-be immediate line managers on the evening of the first day. Provided excellent planning, preparation, itinerary, documentation, full relocation package. First-rate top-to-bottom and side-to-side. All that for a fresh college grad with internship experience.

Interview Question – The first one, whatever it was, then in second place: "Where do you see yourself in five years".   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was takin' what they were givin'. I negotiated a 20% raise a couple of years later.

Analyst IV Interview

Analyst IV
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Battelle Memorial in May 2009.

Interview Details – I interviewed with my direct manager. He was very knowledgeable and easy to talk to. Explained the position well. He had a very good presence and this extended to the actual work environment. He worked hard on the contract side-by-side with everyone else, giving a positive impression to everyone in our sector. Unlike many other managers who relied on their staff too heavily, he was part of the team.

Interview Question – No particularly difficult questions but did ask questions appropriate to the position. Wanted to know my long term plans.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was fairly set based on the position, but able to get a modest increase and a signing bonus

Senior Technician Interview

Senior Technician
Aberdeen, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Battelle Memorial.

Interview Details – Everyone on the team will meet with you in groups of two or three at a time. Some people will try to intimidate you with their questions as a power play attempt to see how smart you are while some will ask you ridiculous questions like, "Do you enjoy being in the lab?" when you are applying for a lab position. It's a long process but overall I think it's pretty easy.

Interview Question – When I was sitting in on the process as one of the interviewers, one colleague asked, "What animal are you most similar to?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It never hurts to try to negotiate. There is a salary range for every position.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Battelle Memorial

Worked for Battelle Memorial? Contribute to the Community!