Battle Creek VA Medical Center

3.2

Dental Hygienist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brockton, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brockton, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in November 2012.

After about 2 months, finally had a phone interview. Performance based questions. I am up against 39 other people for 1 spot and some are veterans. So even thought I have 15 yrs. experience & had good interview, am not a veteran so don't think I stand a chance.

Interview Questions
    • Performance based questions, not hard. They list them on the VA website.   Answer Question

Student Nurse Technician Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in October 2012.

Interview occurred about a week after turning in application. Acceptance happened after another week. Paper work and process to actually start job took an additional 3 months.

based on grades and college credits.

Staff Psychiatrist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in August 2012.

1. best to email human services and ask exactly what you need to submit first. I found out that you do not need to complete the lenghty crendialing form, requiring four references in order to interview
    2. the job advertisement salary range is not true. the job you in the ad may be "bait". You will likely be asked to fill positions requiring evenings and saturday work

Interview Questions
    • 1. describe one of your most difficult cases.
      2 describe a case that did not turn out well.

View Answer

the salary was significantly below market rate
    the after hours and saturdays were unattractive at that salary level
    the job ad was misleading- the job and salary posted was non existent. I felt conned.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in August 2012.

Government panel of senior management.

Program Support Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in August 2012.

I was contacted by the Administrative Officer to schedule an appointment. I was given the option to have an in-person or telephone interview. I chose to have an in-person interview. My interview was with the Medical Director and the Primary Investigator. The interview was not as structured as I would have expected. They asked me to tell them about myself..things that were not included on my Federal resume. They asked what I liked about my current job. They explained the position and asked if it sounded like something I would enjoy doing. They asked if i participated in office politics and gossip. Then asked if I had any questions. I asked a few more questions about the position, research project, and work environment. I sent thank-you emails to both interviewers when I got home. A week later, I received a phone call from HR requesting some additional information from me. 3 days later, I was offered the position and scheduled for new employee orientation.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was particularly difficult. I was just shocked at how informal the interview was.   Answer Question
    I am not sure what would have been up for negotiation because I did not try to negotiate. I really wanted the job and was happy with the salary.

Graduate Nurse Technician (New Grad RN Residency Program) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in May 2012.

Panel interview with 6 people plus a timed written test beforehand. Be prepared to give specific examples of how you: were a leader, demonstrated critical thinking, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Provide an example of how you used critical thinking and the outcome.   Answer Question

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bay Pines, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bay Pines, FL

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in June 2011.

Pretty straightforward interview. Actually haven't gotten result yet. Was a little surprised that the overall mission of the VA and Veterans didn't come up at all. The two interviewers were polite, on time and gave me enough time to answer. As I guess they are supposed to do, they didn't react at all to any of my answers-just silence when I had finished my answers. First time I have had that though. Had to tell them I was finished answering.

Psychiatric Nursing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in March 2011.

Your path to the VA begins naturally on USA jobs. If you complete the application and are found to be one of the more qualified applicants, they will contact you by phone. My phone call included a mini-interview--no real questions, just basically confirming info from my resume, what shifts I wanted to work, etc. During the same call I was scheduled for an interview which turned out to include two interviewers, the heads of the departments where I was applying to work.
    The interview was quite pleasant, and it was evident that they were trying to help me out. It was your standard performance based interview--the only two questions I remember were "Describe the most stressful/difficult interaction with a difficult client/coworker/whatever and how you resolved it", and "Describe an occasion when you went above and beyond." Then there was a preposterous section where they asked me to rate my knowledge/ability in different areas (they don't ask for examples, mind you, you could say anything). One of these was in the area of typical pharmaceutical effects/reactions, and I was actually honest saying I had average knowledge, to which the interviewer pressed me and said "Well, it sounds to me like you actually have expert knowledge. We'll just put down the highest score."
    I received a job offer about a week and a half later by phone which I eagerly accepted. I went in for a physical, turned in the dictionary sized background check packet, and got fingerprinted. And that's where the horrible awful part starts...
    The entire interview process took about 13 months. They warned me not to quit my job but just wait til they contacted me. Which I did. And did. Six months down the line, with absolutely no contact, I received a brisk letter informing me the position was terminated.
    Now I figured that was the end of it. Another six months down the line, fully a year after I was "selected" for the position, I received a single voicemail asking if I was still interested. Unfortunately, I got the voicemail four days later, and when I called back, they announced they had already selected someone else. I was positively livid, though the gentleman was very apologetic--I waited over a full year, and you hired someone else in four days without sending a letter, emailing, or calling twice?! To which he said they figured I had given up (they didn't figure that about the other person they eventually hired?). But that's the federal bureaucracy for you.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the most difficult interaction you've had with a client, customer, etc. and how you resolved it.   View Answer
    • Describe an occasion when you went above and beyond for a patient or client or coworker etc.   View Answer
    No negotiation. Don't make an idiot of yourself. The pay is already the highest you can find, and so long as you don't intentionally get someone killed you're guaranteed a job for life and hefty annual salary increases.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in November 2010.

personality questions and technical questions

Interview Questions
    • if you were done with your work and you had nothing else to do what would you do?   View Answer
    • Have you had any personal problems at your current work place?   View Answer

Telehealth Clinical Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Great Falls, MT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Great Falls, MT

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in October 2010.

Behavioral-based interview questions pertaining to the line of work. For example, if there was an upset patient in the waiting room, how would you handle the situation? The usual behavioral-based questions were asked about previous job experiences, why I had left previous jobs, etc. I think it worked toward my benefit to ask them a lot of questions about the position. They seemed very impressed with the questions that I asked during the interview. It was a real bummer that they somehow didn't realize that I would not be available to being working for several months although it was clearly stated in my supporting materials.

Interview Questions
    • If you were asked to do BLANK for a patient and discovered BLANK situation, how would you handle it?   Answer Question

They offered me the job without really paying attention to my resume. As a college senior, I did not graduate until May and they did not want to hold the position for me that long. They also left me no time to make a decision (want it within 24 hours).