Battle Creek VA Medical Center

26 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Clinical Pharmacist Interview

Clinical Pharmacist

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in June 2009.

Interview Details – Interview was a group interview. Hiring was slow. It took more than 6 months for all the paperwork to be processed.

Interview Question – Tell me about what you like and don't like about your current job.   Answer Question

Student Nurse Technician Interview

Student Nurse Technician

I applied in-person and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in October 2012.

Interview Details – Interview occurred about a week after turning in application. Acceptance happened after another week. Paper work and process to actually start job took an additional 3 months.

Negotiation Details – based on grades and college credits.

Dental Hygienist Interview

Dental Hygienist
Brockton, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in November 2012.

Interview Details – After about 2 months, finally had a phone interview. Performance based questions. I am up against 39 other people for 1 spot and some are veterans. So even thought I have 15 yrs. experience & had good interview, am not a veteran so don't think I stand a chance.

Interview Question – Performance based questions, not hard. They list them on the VA website.   Answer Question

Registered Nurse Interview

Registered Nurse
Wichita, KS

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in April 2009.

Interview Details – Constantly have to look for postings on USAjobs.gov and you need a good federal resume

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You are hired and paid according to years and experience. A set formula is used with very little negotiation room.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in August 2012.

Interview Details – Government panel of senior management.

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Program Support Assistant Interview

Program Support Assistant
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the Administrative Officer to schedule an appointment. I was given the option to have an in-person or telephone interview. I chose to have an in-person interview. My interview was with the Medical Director and the Primary Investigator. The interview was not as structured as I would have expected. They asked me to tell them about myself..things that were not included on my Federal resume. They asked what I liked about my current job. They explained the position and asked if it sounded like something I would enjoy doing. They asked if i participated in office politics and gossip. Then asked if I had any questions. I asked a few more questions about the position, research project, and work environment. I sent thank-you emails to both interviewers when I got home. A week later, I received a phone call from HR requesting some additional information from me. 3 days later, I was offered the position and scheduled for new employee orientation.

Interview Question – Nothing was particularly difficult. I was just shocked at how informal the interview was.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I am not sure what would have been up for negotiation because I did not try to negotiate. I really wanted the job and was happy with the salary.

Staff Psychiatrist Interview

Staff Psychiatrist
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in August 2012.

Interview Details – 1. best to email human services and ask exactly what you need to submit first. I found out that you do not need to complete the lenghty crendialing form, requiring four references in order to interview
2. the job advertisement salary range is not true. the job you in the ad may be "bait". You will likely be asked to fill positions requiring evenings and saturday work

Interview Question – 1. describe one of your most difficult cases.
2 describe a case that did not turn out well.
  View Answer

Reason for Declining – the salary was significantly below market rate
the after hours and saturdays were unattractive at that salary level
the job ad was misleading- the job and salary posted was non existent. I felt conned.

Graduate Nurse Technician (New Grad RN Residency Program) Interview

Graduate Nurse Technician (New Grad RN Residency Program)
Long Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in May 2012.

Interview Details – Panel interview with 6 people plus a timed written test beforehand. Be prepared to give specific examples of how you: were a leader, demonstrated critical thinking, etc.

Interview Question – Provide an example of how you used critical thinking and the outcome.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Psychiatric Nursing Assistant Interview

Psychiatric Nursing Assistant
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in March 2011.

Interview Details – Your path to the VA begins naturally on USA jobs. If you complete the application and are found to be one of the more qualified applicants, they will contact you by phone. My phone call included a mini-interview--no real questions, just basically confirming info from my resume, what shifts I wanted to work, etc. During the same call I was scheduled for an interview which turned out to include two interviewers, the heads of the departments where I was applying to work.
The interview was quite pleasant, and it was evident that they were trying to help me out. It was your standard performance based interview--the only two questions I remember were "Describe the most stressful/difficult interaction with a difficult client/coworker/whatever and how you resolved it", and "Describe an occasion when you went above and beyond." Then there was a preposterous section where they asked me to rate my knowledge/ability in different areas (they don't ask for examples, mind you, you could say anything). One of these was in the area of typical pharmaceutical effects/reactions, and I was actually honest saying I had average knowledge, to which the interviewer pressed me and said "Well, it sounds to me like you actually have expert knowledge. We'll just put down the highest score."
I received a job offer about a week and a half later by phone which I eagerly accepted. I went in for a physical, turned in the dictionary sized background check packet, and got fingerprinted. And that's where the horrible awful part starts...
The entire interview process took about 13 months. They warned me not to quit my job but just wait til they contacted me. Which I did. And did. Six months down the line, with absolutely no contact, I received a brisk letter informing me the position was terminated.
Now I figured that was the end of it. Another six months down the line, fully a year after I was "selected" for the position, I received a single voicemail asking if I was still interested. Unfortunately, I got the voicemail four days later, and when I called back, they announced they had already selected someone else. I was positively livid, though the gentleman was very apologetic--I waited over a full year, and you hired someone else in four days without sending a letter, emailing, or calling twice?! To which he said they figured I had given up (they didn't figure that about the other person they eventually hired?). But that's the federal bureaucracy for you.

Interview Questions

• Describe the most difficult interaction you've had with a client, customer, etc. and how you resolved it.   View Answer
  • Describe an occasion when you went above and beyond for a patient or client or coworker etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Don't make an idiot of yourself. The pay is already the highest you can find, and so long as you don't intentionally get someone killed you're guaranteed a job for life and hefty annual salary increases.

Psychiatrist Interview

Psychiatrist
Richmond, VA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in June 2009.

Interview Details – I had to apply using their standard application. It took a lot of paperwork and they required references. It took about one month before I was called for an interview. Since I lived far way, I had the option of doing it in person or over the phone. It was a panel interview with 2 or 3 people. It was a problem based interview and very structured. They did not ask much about my personal qualities but more on "what would you do in this situation...etc."

Interview Question – Give example of a difficult patient that made you change your practice and how it affected you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not able to.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Battle Creek VA Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Battle Creek VA Medical Center interview questions and advice. All 26 interview reviews posted anonymously by Battle Creek VA Medical Center employees and interview candidates.