Battle Creek VA Medical Center

Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Analyst Interview

Program Analyst
Bay Pines, FL

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in June 2011.

Interview Details – Pretty straightforward interview. Actually haven't gotten result yet. Was a little surprised that the overall mission of the VA and Veterans didn't come up at all. The two interviewers were polite, on time and gave me enough time to answer. As I guess they are supposed to do, they didn't react at all to any of my answers-just silence when I had finished my answers. First time I have had that though. Had to tell them I was finished answering.

Interview Question – None of the questions were particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Telehealth Clinical Technician Interview

Telehealth Clinical Technician
Great Falls, MT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in October 2010.

Interview Details – Behavioral-based interview questions pertaining to the line of work. For example, if there was an upset patient in the waiting room, how would you handle the situation? The usual behavioral-based questions were asked about previous job experiences, why I had left previous jobs, etc. I think it worked toward my benefit to ask them a lot of questions about the position. They seemed very impressed with the questions that I asked during the interview. It was a real bummer that they somehow didn't realize that I would not be available to being working for several months although it was clearly stated in my supporting materials.

Interview Question – If you were asked to do BLANK for a patient and discovered BLANK situation, how would you handle it?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They offered me the job without really paying attention to my resume. As a college senior, I did not graduate until May and they did not want to hold the position for me that long. They also left me no time to make a decision (want it within 24 hours).

IT Specialist Interview

IT Specialist
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in November 2010.

Interview Details – personality questions and technical questions

Interview Questions

• if you were done with your work and you had nothing else to do what would you do?   View Answer
  • Have you had any personal problems at your current work place?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Mental Health Nurse Interview

Mental Health Nurse
Biloxi, MS

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in May 2010.

Interview Details – I had one interview with the 3 person panel. There were two males and one female. All three work on the mental health unit. They asked approximately 5 complex situational questions and asked what the nursing interventions would be for each. They also asked if I would be available for nights and weekends.

Interview Question – A patient with a history of requiring mental health treatment is being discharged after two days. His wife stops you in the hall and tells you she doesn't know what to do when they go home. What would you tell her?   Answer Question

Information Security Interview

Information Security

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center.

Interview Details – The interview was done by a panel over the telephone. The questions were performance based.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time where you dealt with a difficult customer. How did you handle it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation with federal government.

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Clinical Research Coordinator

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in February 2008.

Interview Details – Desired qualifications were discussed for the specific trials to be conducted. I met them and was hired.

Interview Question – There were none.   View Answer

RN Pacu Interview

RN Pacu

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in May 2012.

Interview Details – The application paperwork was extensive, including 2 performance reviews from previous employers of from schools (if a new graduate). Once it was verified that I met the qualifications of the job, I was contacted for an interview. I had one interview, which was a panel of 5 nurses. They were interested and friendly with a good sense of humor. I had a great experience.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when you employed critical thinking. What happened and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing was negotiable.

Very Difficult Interview

Provider Interview

Provider

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in April 2011.

Interview Details – 1. online application, job announcement was just what I was looking for. I had been working as a temp for them for over a year.
2. minimal contact from Human Resources. No clue as to where I was in the process. Thank goodness I had a job and was flexible about start date and didn't need to relocate.
3. interview scheduled in the middle of my work day, no notice to prepare. Primary interviewer phoned in so no visual cues, body language, and he has foreign accent so I had to ask him to repeat or look at the other two interviewers for clarification. Midway through, he announced I would be doing only one part of the job, and "if you don't like that, then we won't hire you." It became pretty adversarial after that. His management style is paternalistic and dictatorial. Even the other two interviewers looked surprised. I told him what I could do, and he demanded I agree to a higher caseload and reiterated "take it or leave it." This was not a job offer, but just the interview part of the ranking of applicants. (I never did agree to the caseload. I kept telling him what I COULD do.)
4. applicants were ranked on various previous employment and work history. I knew I was already behind on those aspects, as temp work counts for nothing.
5. happily, the people above me on the ranking mishandled their offers, delaying acceptance and ticking off Human Resources. I got an offer (see below).

Interview Question – None had to do with my professional skills. All were concerned with how I handled adversity in the workplace.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – 1. no negotiation allowed, even though the full range is posted online.
2. salary based on review of portfolio. I was hired at $10k less than people with half my experience, because their work was entirely with the company.
3. my advice: set your sites low and be pleased with anything more than the minimum. Save this job for later in your career: I am old enough to retire after less than 10 years, while the long-term employees are looking at 20-30 years of micromanagement.
4. more advice: I sent e-mails every month highlighting what I've done and won several awards. My goal is to make that interviewer look so good that he gets promoted, and it has worked. I am grabbing every benefit I can and preparing for promotion.

Nurse Interview

Nurse

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in April 2009.

Interview Details – The hiring process was quite extensive beginning with the application and required documentation process. Those individuals who met the qualifications were then evaluated using a matrix. A cut-off point was made and those applicants above the cut-off were first given a telephone panel interview. The second round was a face-to-face panel interview with a different group of associates. The last round was a face-to-face with leadership.

Interview Question – Given a scenario with data included, tell me your analysis of the data. Based on your analysis what is your course of action?   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Administrative

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in February 2009.

Interview Details – applied online and received a call for an interview about 3 weeks later---about one week after the interview i received a call from the selecting official and had to wait another few days for a call from HR with an official job offer. Accepted and came to work about two months later after processing and background check.

Interview Question – Tell us about time that you had to deal with a crisis? How did you deal with it and what would you differently looking back on the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was given the wrong information during salary negotiations---i was basically taking a pay cut as a transfer from another fed office--but after two months of being at the new facility--received a bump up in pay/steps to compete with my former salary