Battle Creek VA Medical Center

3.2

Mental Health Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Biloxi, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Biloxi, MS

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in May 2010.

I had one interview with the 3 person panel. There were two males and one female. All three work on the mental health unit. They asked approximately 5 complex situational questions and asked what the nursing interventions would be for each. They also asked if I would be available for nights and weekends.

Interview Questions
    • A patient with a history of requiring mental health treatment is being discharged after two days. His wife stops you in the hall and tells you she doesn't know what to do when they go home. What would you tell her?   Answer Question

Psychiatrist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in June 2009.

I had to apply using their standard application. It took a lot of paperwork and they required references. It took about one month before I was called for an interview. Since I lived far way, I had the option of doing it in person or over the phone. It was a panel interview with 2 or 3 people. It was a problem based interview and very structured. They did not ask much about my personal qualities but more on "what would you do in this situation...etc."

Interview Questions
    • Give example of a difficult patient that made you change your practice and how it affected you.   Answer Question
    Not able to.

Clinical Pharmacist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in June 2009.

Interview was a group interview. Hiring was slow. It took more than 6 months for all the paperwork to be processed.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about what you like and don't like about your current job.   Answer Question

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in April 2009.

Constantly have to look for postings on USAjobs.gov and you need a good federal resume

Interview Questions
    You are hired and paid according to years and experience. A set formula is used with very little negotiation room.

Information Security Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center.

The interview was done by a panel over the telephone. The questions were performance based.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time where you dealt with a difficult customer. How did you handle it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    No negotiation with federal government.

RN Pacu Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in May 2012.

The application paperwork was extensive, including 2 performance reviews from previous employers of from schools (if a new graduate). Once it was verified that I met the qualifications of the job, I was contacted for an interview. I had one interview, which was a panel of 5 nurses. They were interested and friendly with a good sense of humor. I had a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you employed critical thinking. What happened and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    Nothing was negotiable.

Provider Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in April 2011.

1. online application, job announcement was just what I was looking for. I had been working as a temp for them for over a year.
    2. minimal contact from Human Resources. No clue as to where I was in the process. Thank goodness I had a job and was flexible about start date and didn't need to relocate.
    3. interview scheduled in the middle of my work day, no notice to prepare. Primary interviewer phoned in so no visual cues, body language, and he has foreign accent so I had to ask him to repeat or look at the other two interviewers for clarification. Midway through, he announced I would be doing only one part of the job, and "if you don't like that, then we won't hire you." It became pretty adversarial after that. His management style is paternalistic and dictatorial. Even the other two interviewers looked surprised. I told him what I could do, and he demanded I agree to a higher caseload and reiterated "take it or leave it." This was not a job offer, but just the interview part of the ranking of applicants. (I never did agree to the caseload. I kept telling him what I COULD do.)
    4. applicants were ranked on various previous employment and work history. I knew I was already behind on those aspects, as temp work counts for nothing.
    5. happily, the people above me on the ranking mishandled their offers, delaying acceptance and ticking off Human Resources. I got an offer (see below).

Interview Questions
    • None had to do with my professional skills. All were concerned with how I handled adversity in the workplace.   View Answer
    1. no negotiation allowed, even though the full range is posted online.
    2. salary based on review of portfolio. I was hired at $10k less than people with half my experience, because their work was entirely with the company.
    3. my advice: set your sites low and be pleased with anything more than the minimum. Save this job for later in your career: I am old enough to retire after less than 10 years, while the long-term employees are looking at 20-30 years of micromanagement.
    4. more advice: I sent e-mails every month highlighting what I've done and won several awards. My goal is to make that interviewer look so good that he gets promoted, and it has worked. I am grabbing every benefit I can and preparing for promotion.

Nursing Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in April 2011.

I was interviewed by three people on the phone. Each person asked me a different situational question. I was caught off guard by the questions, which is why I rated it as difficult. If you are prepared, it should not be so bad.

Interview Questions
    • Question about conflict with communication and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Telephone Operator Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in December 2010.

I applied for the position with a group panel. The questions were about my previous job experiences and what would you do in certain situations questions.

Interview Questions
    • Are you able to sit for your entire shift without leaving the office.   View Answer
    I negotiated and was declined.

Information Technology Specialist Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Battle Creek VA Medical Center in April 2010.

One question surprised me: How would I react or respond to a person who said negative things about the Department of Veterans Affairs? That floored me because I was not prepared for that and I was a little insulted by the question. What, only big-government types may apply?

Interview Questions
    • How would you respond to a person who said negative things about the Department of Veterans Affairs?   Answer Question