Baxter

Very Easy Interview

Project Leader Interview

Project Leader
Deerfield, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Baxter in July 2013.

Interview Details – I am an experienced professional at the mid-senior to senior level who was recruited to apply for a contract consulting position with Baxter in Deerfield, IL. The whole experience was really strange, and in retrospect, sent off several red flags. First, the recruiter described an ideal job description that matched my experience, recommended some changes to my resume and then submitted my resume for the job. I was never interviewed. While I awaited a response, I did some cursory searching and found some job postings linking back to this opportunity dating back several months. Each time they reflected deviations, lack of clarity and terrible spelling and grammar. I concluded the job had been available for about five months prior to my recruitment and the position seemed unclear like they didn't know what they wanted. This was the first red flag I rationalized as being due to an area that was in development. Then I was part of a group of scheduled phone interviews that the contacts at Baxter had simply blown off. We were scheduled a week in advance and we waited all afternoon for the phone call that never came. This is the 2nd red flag I thought could be explained by simply being busy in a changing environment. Over a week passed and the recruiter called me with another time for the phone interview. This time they called and the interview went well seemingly focused on the soft skills of demeanor and behavioral interactions. I was asked to describe my current position, and I was asked about my familiarity with some software applications. We then scheduled a face-to-face interview through the recruiter. I was excited based on the job description and the company's position within the marketplace. Based on what I had been told of the job, it was a perfect match across the board. Well, it is no surprise after ignoring the initial red flags that this was the absolute worst interview experience I ever encountered. They were closed; not forthcoming; would not engage in discussions pertaining to the job; paused and carefully selected the words in their responses; they weren't professional in appearance or demeanor; they didn't seem to be able to discuss the job. The interview was painful, like pulling teeth. They didn't ask one typical interview question. They didn't know how to interview and the inability to discuss the job became alarming. The substance of the interview centered on meetings and SharePoint. They couldn't discuss methodologies, leadership styles, conflict resolutions... I wasn't asked about my strengths and weaknesses, where I see myself in five years, what I liked best about anything in my resume. In fact, there was no discussion of my resume. It was like there wasn't a real job available, or at least not the one they promoted. My conclusion after this huge waste of time that left me feeling like The Twilight Zone is like they weren't serious about the promoted position but couldn't change the description too much because that description is what they were vying for in attaining internal headcount. It seemed like I was interviewing for a job that was eventually going to someone internally once the headcount was attained. The recruiters and the candidates were just pawns for making the case that they looked externally for contract consultants but couldn't find one that fit so now they need the internal headcount to hire.... internally! It may result in an additional contract administrative assistant position, but not a mid-senior level project lead position. Truly the worst experience ever, and never a thank you for your time... or an explanation or apology for the scheduled phone interviews that left candidates and recruiters waiting only to get blown off. I added so much detail because it speaks volumes to the internal culture.

Interview Question – This is funny. Absolutely no typical or relevant questions were asked, but I was insulted and shocked when asked at the end, "So have you ever managed a project before?" Really?!   View Answer

Engineering Technician Interview

Engineering Technician

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Baxter.

Interview Details – If you are contacted through a temp agency, they will be the ones setting up everything for you and guiding you along the way. First is the phone interview and then the in-person interview where you meet with your manager and a few others you would be working with. During my in-person interview, I got a quick tour of the plant as well.

Interview Question – What is traceability?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was pretty fixed since I was being hired through a temp agency.

Finance Analyst Internship Interview

Finance Analyst Internship

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Baxter in April 2013.

Interview Details – There were 4 interviews. 2 rounds with 2 interviews each. The interview was all behavioral and really asked why you would want to work with Baxter and why Baxter is one of your top choices. Asked about my resume and had me go through relevant experiences. Having good questions in the end is also important as they left about 20 minutes worth of time for questions. I think they purposely end it early to see how you could carry on a conversation.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, just really stress on why Baxter. One tip is to talk about their rotational program and opportunity to work abroad.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Great company, but interested in a different industry.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Marketing Manager
Deerfield, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Baxter in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Very long process. 3 phone interviews, 9 in person interviews. A case study presentation was a little strange. Every contact was unique and interesting. Still defining the role. Pretty standard interview with exception of long decision making timeline. Hiring manager was pretty detailed about their vision and what the expectations are. All parties were familiar with my résumé and prepared to meet with me.

Interview Question – Really nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The benefits are fantastic and salary competitive. I negotiated a higher salary by having all my facts ready.

Manufacturing Technician II (Temp) Interview

Manufacturing Technician II (Temp)
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Baxter in May 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online, then received an email for an interview. When I arrived for the interview one of the managers what was suppose to interview forgot about the interview, but eventually showed up after waiting for an extra 15 minutes after the scheduled time. The questions where basically asking me whether I can handle working in tough conditions and lift heavy objects.
They asked me to provide examples of me working in a laboratory environment and I just gave examples of me working in chemistry and research labs at school.
The rest of the interview was just them talking and explaining the job conditions and along the way asked me if I will be fine with that. They also asked if I am comfortable working with different types of people and how/if I can handle confrontational situations.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected. Some basic interview questions. Tell them you have a good experience working in hands on laboratory projects and get along with people and you should be good.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was hired through a temp agency so they don't negotiate.

Very Difficult Interview

Operations Project Associate Interview

Operations Project Associate
Deerfield, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Baxter.

Interview Details – 9 different interviews, 2 with the hiring manager. Each interview talked about various subjects (i.e. leadership, personal goals,

Interview Question – They give a brief and broad description of the job, and then ask you how your skills make you a good fit for this role given your past experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Very Easy Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Baxter in May 2013.

Interview Details – Managers here at Baxter Los Angeles are not good mentors for new employees, they spend most time kissing upper management to move up. Therefore the interview process is subpar and people who interviewed feel like it is a hassle to interview rather than glad to see a new prospect.

Interview Question – Hard to say, most of the interviewees like to talk about themselves more than asking questions. The director can talk you to sleep, I left thinking, wow, the only question out of him was what's my name.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Hayward, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Baxter in May 2013.

Interview Details – I first submitted my resume to the company through a career fair. A couple months later I received a phone call saying the company was interested in having an onsite interview. The interview took about 4 hours with a total of 4 interview sessions and 6 interviewers. Afterward, I was given a quick tour of the facility.

Interview Question – If someone presented you a pound cake that had fallen, how would go about to determine what exactly was the problem?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate for a slightly higher salary and a signing bonus.

Lab Tech Interview

Lab Tech

Interviewed at Baxter

Interview Details – Called me up and asked me a technical lab question. Then followed up with an onsite interview.

Interview Question – Asked me to explain what chromatography was.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Baxter

Interview Details – Communicated through email initially. In person interview with 2 interviewers.

Interview Question – Talked about previous internship and academic experience. "Why should we choose you over others?"   Answer Question