Bayer HealthCare Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Bayer HealthCare in July 2014.

I got an interview after applying online and reaching out to find a connection through Linked-In. I got connected with the hiring manager for the position and was able to get my CV submitted directly. My first interview was a brief, 10 min phone interview with an HR person which was aimed at determining if I was serious about the job. I clearly was, so a second phone interview was set up with the hiring manager for five days later. It was scheduled for 45 minutes, but the hiring manager called me 10 minutes late and ended the interview 15 minutes early due to a hectic work schedule. The 20 minutes we did interview revolved around learning what experiences I had relevant to the position and what types of ideas I might have for translating my research into drug development efforts. The interview ended with the hiring manager inviting me for an on-site interview two weeks later. I had to schedule the trip for my interview with two different HR/recruiter people, which ended up causing some communication problems (perhaps a problem in Bayer bureaucracy). For example, my hiring manager had tried to schedule a dinner with me during my visit, which never happened due to mis-communication between them.
    The on-site interview was a one day interview: 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. I had one-on-one meeting the whole day, for 30min at a time, with various scientists working there. Some of them asked me very direct questions about what research I think would lead to new drug discovery. Some had more informal discussions with me about my background and told me about their jobs and responsibilities.
    I also had to give a 45 minute seminar around lunchtime; the hiring manager had directed me to give a presentation aimed at convincing people of the therapeutic potential of my research. I had a few questions after the talk, most notably whether or not a particular experiment I performed had given me a new drug target. To which my answer had to be: no, not yet.
    I met with the hiring manager twice during the day, including my last meeting of the day. In the first meeting, the manager asked me typical questions like "describe a time you had a disagreement with your boss." The manager also talked about the type of person they were looking for: someone who did a lot of reading, came up with ideas, and proposed new research projects and lobbied to get resources to pursue those projects. At the end of the day, we discussed possible projects I would be interested in working on how I felt about the visit.

Interview Questions
    • What new drug opportunity would you research if given the chance? (It was unexpected since the advertised position was an entry level position, not a position that I expected to be coming into with new drug ideas to research. I would have expected that to become an important question later in my career, however)   Answer Question
    • What disease could you try to cure using your current research? (My research was clearly basic research, not directly transnational)   Answer Question
    • Do you ever disagree with your boss and how do you handle it when you do?   View Answer

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Bayer HealthCare in April 2014.

I applied online and was contacted 1 month later to schedule a phone interview (which I turned into an on-site one, see below). The interview was 2 on 1, in a casual space in the office. Most questions were behavioral.

If you are local, ask if you can come on site. Although that was not the norm, once I asked I was able to go on site for the initial interview, and it was extensive enough that I didn't need a second round.

Interview Questions
    • Role play about confronting a manager I had from a previous job and suggesting improvements to the lab   Answer Question

Operational Excellence Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bayer HealthCare in April 2013.

One single interview, and I was given the option to do it either over-the-phone or in-person (I lived 70 miles away from the work site). I took the option to interview in person, as I find phone interviews to be somewhat awkward and inefficient.

I was asked a standard set of questions that anyone would ask an intern. The general procedure of the interview was to go through my resume and ask more detailed questions about my previous work experience, choice of major, leadership roles, and so on. It lasted around 45 mins and went well.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about [disease the product made here treats]? What do you know about [product made here]?   Answer Question
    No negotiations available, but I was more than satisfied with the offer. For someone in my position, it was great.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bayer HealthCare in April 2011.

Applied online, got a call in a couple of months and was brought in for an interview. Prepared by researching company and history of Berkeley site. Also looked into trends in the pharmaceutical industry. Interviewed with a Director and a Manager. Environment was fast paced, a lot of movement by employees (meetings, meting with colleagues, etc.).

Summer Intern - Operational Excellence Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bayer HealthCare in April 2011.

First I applied at the Bayer website. HR gave me call asking for a time-slot. She set me up with the hiring managers. I had a half hour interview with the hiring manager and other team member. They accepted me, after 2 weeks.