Baylis Medical Company

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research and Development Engineer

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Baylis Medical Company.

Interview Details – First had an interview with the head of HR asking generic questions like why I want the position etc. The HR guy told me we are going to move forward with a second interview which will happen later on in the afternoon if I had time. I said sure and sure enough I interviewed with an engineer at the company. He asked me more technical questions and gave me a take-home design project to assess my engineer horsepower. At this point, I was not sure if they were simply using me to get new ideas for this unsolved issue or if they genuinely wanted to see my engineering horse power. There was a 24hr limit on the project. I did it, reluctantly and submitted to the engineer the next day. HR responded about a week later saying they wanted to have a third interview. I went into this interview and a new engineer who was now interviewing me hadn't even read my design project. I was answering his questions but from the beginning he kept staring into space behind me not looking like he even wanted to be there. He said they share the interviewing responsibilities, so I'm assuming in a sense he was forced to be there. At this point, the original engineer walked in who did read my project and I went through it with the both of them. They picked my brain and roasted me on the design. The uninterested engineer left saying he had some other business while the original engineer kept asking some more questions about my resume. Then he said that he has no more questions and they'd let me know of their decision. I got an email a few weeks later saying they decided not to offer me anything. I was really confused considering I though I did really well, in answering their questions and showing in-depth knowledge in the field. I figured they hired someone else but after they posted another ad for the same position a few days later, I grew more convinced that they are just stealing ideas from eager engineers trying to get a position in their company.

Interview Question – The design project   Answer Question

Research and Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Baylis Medical Company in March 2014.

Interview Details – After a month since I applied on-line, someone from HR called and left a message to call them back but I could not speak with her and gave up after three attempts and leaving two voice-mails. 10 days later they called again and set an on-site interview following a couple of generic HR questions (how do you know us/ expected salary/availability). The interview was delayed once and then canceled hours before the interview time saying that the HR manager has approached them and told them he decided to move forward with another candidate without even speaking with me!
Extra care should be taken when applying for any position as a company with almost 100% negative feedback from their own employee (read the comments on company review section) is not expected to do any better in the hiring process either! After all HR people are their employee too!

Interview Question – Salary that was their first question on the phone!   View Answer

R&D Engineer Interview

R&D Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Baylis Medical Company.

Interview Details – I applied online.

1. Got a phone call about 4 weeks afterwards. Was asked to attend an interview next week. Was asked about the salary expectations.
2. I had my first interview the following week. The interview was with the HR manager. Was asked about general HR questions.
3. The next interview (same day following the HR interview), I had an interview with the Team Lead. In this interview, I was asked detailed and specific questions about my previous projects to assess my technical skills.
4. At the end of the technical interview with the team lead, the manager entered the room and joined the interview. Was asked questions on goals, where do I see myself fitting in the company, higher level questions on my technical skills.
5. Got a call from the HR office about 1 week afterwards. Was invited to have an interview with the CTO the next week.
6. The next week, I had the interview with the CTO. Was asked about few technical questions (higher level) and few general skills.

Basically, I was contacted 4 weeks after I applied online. Another week to get the first interview done. 2 more weeks to get the interview with the CTO. So, in total about 2 months. No response ever since (been months now!). I am sure that I was among the 2-3 shortlisted to have an interview with the CTO. A company should have the courtesy to let the candidates know the results!

The technical questions were completely on what I had done in the past (both higher level questions and specific detailed questions). Besides the technical interview, the other questions were more general such as 'Where do you see yourself fitting the best in the company (design, manufacturing, marketing, etc.)?', 'Do you wanna pursue PhD?'.

I was told that the position undergoes a training period during which time you work in different department and depending on your performance, you are given responsibilities in a particular department. The company seem to have a high turn-over rate.

About the company's culture: Very corporate culture. Business dressing, tie, suits, leather boots.

R&D Engineer Interview

R&D Engineer
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Baylis Medical Company in September 2013.

Interview Details – 4 Part Interview
1 - In person interview with HR. Basic interview questions.
2 - Interview with Cardiology/ Endovascular + technical questions about past projects
3 - Interview with Pain Management + take home mechanical device assignment
4 - Submit assignment 24hrs later, defend solution to completed assignment

Try to get 1,2,3 done in 1 day instead of multiple days. Be prepared to wait between interviews. Expect a week between (1,2) and (3) and another from (3) to (4).

The interviews have been mostly positive and friendly.
They seem to be interviewing a large number of candidates.

They asked about:
- Base salary (say 50-60k negotiable).
- Transcript (for new grads) and ask about your low marks
- Your interest, experience, knowledge and passion for biology, biomed, biotech
- Why you want to work for them
- Your strengths and weaknesses
- A past research project + your problem solving thought process
  (Past research experience is highly valuable, Baylis is a research based company)
- Solidworks experience (basic modeling, watch youtube tutorials)
- Other jobs you are considering (and if in GTA)
- 2-3 references
- They asked if interested in doing masters or PhD

Info:
-Show passion for wanting to work in the field and in their company.
- Employee turnover rate (1-3 years), seems like they have a hard time retaining employees....
- Apparently they are looking into more corporate structure to promote employee career growth, to be implemented 2014. (time will tell... )
- Growing company, possibly growing faster than management can handle.
- The R&D engineers who work there are very friendly
- No room for growth, some R&D engineers have been there for long. Tired R&D engineer structure in the works.
- Ask about their corporate structure and corporate culture.
- Ask about work life balance.
- Hard to tell if they are exploiting candidates for innovation with their interview assignment or if they are really trying to better understand you and your problem solving thinking.
- They do a lot of injection molding + rapid prototyping.
- Reiterative designing + documentation
- Dress code: business casual (rather dressy, higher ups in suits, lots of heels)
- 25-30 ish engineers (Sept 2013)
- Cardiovascular/Endovascular is ~75% of their business, Pain Management ~25%

- Ask HR for a follow up email when you get your phone call asking you for an interview.

Interview Question – Base salary   View Answer

Coop Student Interview

Coop Student
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed at Baylis Medical Company in December 2009.

Interview Details – Over the phone interview (for co-op intern). Mostly technical questions but also some behavioural questions. The interview was done by the supervising engineer and it took about 30 minutes. The job offer came one week after the interview. Overall the hiring process was quick.

PEY Intern From University of Toronto Interview

PEY Intern From University of Toronto

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Baylis Medical Company in November 2012.

Interview Details – Was asked to come in for an interview for the one PEY position that they offer every year. All HR based questions. Be ready to talk.

Interview Question – Why was your _____ mark so low?   View Answer

R&D Intern Interview

R&D Intern
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Baylis Medical Company in May 2008.

Interview Details – 1. Emailed HR manager directly regarding job position
2. Re-emailed HR manager 2 weeks later when no reply.
3. Received first phone interview with HR a little over 1 week later.
4. During the phone interview, had a brief chat with department manager
5. Was offered a 4 month placement a little over 1 month after initial process

Interview Question – The Basics, why are you interested and what do you want to do.   Answer Question

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Baylis Medical Company in April 2011.

Interview Details – I previously posted about this position, but since I posted more than 30 days ago, I am not able to add information.

In summary, I interviewed unsuccessfully for this position, and found that the company had subsequently reposted the position multiple times. Today, they had also reposted the position, but with a salary range of $35000-$45000. This is for an experienced position that requires a Master's at a minimum.

The multiple reposts tells me that 1) They have a high employee turnover 2) That candidates are declining their offers because of the low salary. All in all, this does not seem to show a supportive corporate culture.

Interview Question – What is your expected salary?   View Answer

Worked for Baylis Medical Company? Contribute to the Community!