Baylor College of Medicine

2.8

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine.

Came on a one-day visit to interview with hiring manager, his colleagues, and other employees. Went to lunch with would-be co-workers, and dinner with manager. Overall good experience. Gave 1 hour job talk describing my research.

Interview Questions
    • overall expect challenging questions related to research   Answer Question
    Was offered what I expected

Division Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Baylor College of Medicine.

Was contacted by receptionist from department within days of submitting resume online and was scheduled for interview for the following week. Arrived at interview and waited over 45 minutes for the interviewers to arrive. Interview was brief with few questions. Questions were typical of management interviews, but lacking in depth. Interviewers didn't provide much/clear information regarding the position, even after asking several questions. Was informed that the interview was a 3 part interview and would receive follow up regarding next step. Within 2 days received email that someone else was hired.

Research Technician I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine in June 2014.

Initial Communication: I received information about this job directly from a contact working for Baylor. She responded to my email within a week.
    Planning: I was invited in for an interview for the following week.
    Interview style: There was a lot of open dialogue. It was laid back. Questions were reasonable and related directly to the position. It was not a business HR "what is your greatest weakness" type of interview.

Interview Questions
    • Since my experience came from working in a lab as a volunteer, I was asked why my previous lab didn't hire me.   View Answer

Research Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine in August 2013.

Number of interview: 1. Came in, interviewed with lab PI, and was asked general questions. Was asked my background experience and if I have expertise in the lab techniques.

Other job opportunity.

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine in February 2013.

I applied in late December. I received an email in early January for an interview weekend in February. The program paid for the flights, and hotel. I shared a hotel room with another interviewee. The interview was at the school on a Friday. There were about 16 of us. There was breakfast and a short overview in the morning before the interview. I interviewed with six faculty, one of whom was the program director. Lunch was provided, and there was a brief campus tour. That evening we had a Tex-Mex dinner party.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Research Technician III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine in December 2012.

I was initially contacted by phone by the Principal Investigator and since I lived out-of-state, he said he would schedule a skype interview for me the following week. He contacted me again, after 3 weeks for scheduling an online interview on Tango and we decided to make the conference 3 days later. He sent me 3 of his research papers and asked me to go through them thoroughly as he would ask me questions from his research works. During the interview, he asked me a host of questions and finally asked for my strategies that could benefit his research on that area. Learning my idea, he was impressed and said me he would like to investigate my strategy and apply that to his research. I was offered the position at the end of the interview and I was asked when I would be willing to start working.

Interview Questions
    • Basically, all the questions were tricky and required firm knowledge of his research ( and also strong knowledge in immunology) and spontaneity.   Answer Question
    I negotiated if the formal offer letter could be sent as soon as possible (I did not negotiate for salary as I was already offered the highest salary available for that position).

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine in December 2012.

I was initially contacted by the project manager for an informal phone interview where we discussed my previous exposure to linux system administration, familiarity with JBoss/Tomcat environments and technical skills relating to managing VMs using VmWare. Then, I was informed they wanted to me to come meet the team in their department, which consisted of mini-interviews with another system administrator, the head of the department and a group of programmers. Overall, i was impressed with the atmosphere and enjoyed meeting with this group in an academic research environment.

Interview Questions
    • This involved steps you would take to troubleshoot a virtual machine which was randomly crashing at odd intervals.   View Answer

Histology Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Only one interview. I was given a tour of the facility. I was asked to give three words that describe me. Two weeks later I was hired.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Baylor College of Medicine.

The interview was very long. It took about 6 hours, and meetings with different people. Baylor did not pay for the expenses related to the interview, air ticket, hotel, etc.

The slary offered was very poor. 20K less than what I currently make, the human resources representative asked for my current pay stub so they will "match" my current salary.

UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine in September 2011.

two panel interviews - first interview with dev team - second interview with Director/VP and dev team

Interview Questions
    • Q. Describe a decision you made that was unpopular and how you handled implementing it.   View Answer