Baylor College of Medicine

Updated Feb 21, 2015
Updated Feb 21, 2015

2.5

Postdoctoral Associate/Fellow Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine.

The hiring process for a postdoc is pretty different from any other industry since it's really a match up between the PI and the postdoc with the logistics (i.e., hiring) coming later. BCM made everything unnecessarily difficult. I'm not sure if this was because of the PI (very flighty) or the school (it was like they manufactured red tape), but things were really slow and then they'd give me a deadline of something like 24hrs to get back to them. I think the thing that frustrated me the most was that no one would tell me anything! I didn't even have an offer in writing until I demanded it two weeks before my start date. How can the expect a person to start a job without a full description of salary, benefits, etc?! Ridiculous.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't have a formal interview, just a meet and greet with the PI, so I wasn't asked any particular questions.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate my salary. Don't let anyone tell you that the NIH limit is set in stone. If they want you, they will find you money. Pay for postdocs is pitiful and most PIs know we could make more money elsewhere. It's part of the training process, but we deserve to be compensated.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine in January 2015.

Applied online. Got an email from the Hiring manager a few days afterwards and set-up an on-site interview with the team. After a few days got another email to set-up another round with the HR. The same day got another email asking for written references from former employers. Very unusual that references were asked before the offer.

Interview Questions
    • General background and experience questions. Nothing extra-ordinary.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine.

Came on a one-day visit to interview with hiring manager, his colleagues, and other employees. Went to lunch with would-be co-workers, and dinner with manager. Overall good experience. Gave 1 hour job talk describing my research.

Interview Questions
    • overall expect challenging questions related to research   Answer Question
    Was offered what I expected

Project Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine.

I applied online to be a Project Intern in the IT Department, got a response the next day, and interviewed the next week on site. The interview lasted for about half an hour. They asked me very basic behavioral questions, and I think they brought a bank of questions. The interviewers were very kind and despite the standard questions, the interview was quite conversational.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, all the questions were fairly standard. Asked about me teamwork experience, how I approach problems, etc.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

apply online, face-to-face interview. I had the impression that they had a pretty good idea about who to hire from the beginning. So as long as you don't behave like an idiot and be honest with your answers they should give you an offer

Research Assistant I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Baylor College of Medicine.

Contact me next day, and asked me several questions. Basic question. and Introduced me several ongoing projects and lab environments and then asked me if i had questions and then asked me why chose baylor

Division Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Baylor College of Medicine.

Was contacted by receptionist from department within days of submitting resume online and was scheduled for interview for the following week. Arrived at interview and waited over 45 minutes for the interviewers to arrive. Interview was brief with few questions. Questions were typical of management interviews, but lacking in depth. Interviewers didn't provide much/clear information regarding the position, even after asking several questions. Was informed that the interview was a 3 part interview and would receive follow up regarding next step. Within 2 days received email that someone else was hired.

Research Technician I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine in June 2014.

Initial Communication: I received information about this job directly from a contact working for Baylor. She responded to my email within a week.
    Planning: I was invited in for an interview for the following week.
    Interview style: There was a lot of open dialogue. It was laid back. Questions were reasonable and related directly to the position. It was not a business HR "what is your greatest weakness" type of interview.

Interview Questions
    • Since my experience came from working in a lab as a volunteer, I was asked why my previous lab didn't hire me.   View Answer

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

I had one phone interview and the hiring person asked me some questions, explained their projects and works, and mentioned what he/she expected me to do

Interview Questions
    • It was a routine interview and I didn't find it difficult at all   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine in August 2013.

Number of interview: 1. Came in, interviewed with lab PI, and was asked general questions. Was asked my background experience and if I have expertise in the lab techniques.

Other job opportunity.