Baylor College of Medicine Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2015

2.5

Physician Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine.

Interview

It took an entire morning. It included a tour and an introduction to numerous faculty members. It was a group of three applicants but we interviewed separately with 3-4 different people. I was given adequate information about expectations and allowed plenty of opportunity for questions.

Student Helper Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Baylor College of Medicine (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

I met with the PhD that was doing a lot of the grunt work and got a tour of the lab. Then I had to go and interview with the MD, who mostly explained what the job detailed. Much of it involved me asking him questions than the other way around, and they seemed to want someone who was interested and highly available.

Interview Questions

• Can you commit to 20-30 hours a week?   Answer Question
    • What is your level of proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel applications?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Associate/Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Baylor College of Medicine (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Overall, a very well organized and long interview process. Two phone/FactTime interviews with the hiring manager, and then on site interview. The on site interview was taking care by the department administration, which indicates the PI has more time for research other than chores. They were looking for a scientist and team player. The whole department people, from faculties to administrators are very nice and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Questions about my PhD work, skill sets, personality and career goals. Nothing odd or unexpected.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Associate/Fellow Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine.

Interview

The hiring process for a postdoc is pretty different from any other industry since it's really a match up between the PI and the postdoc with the logistics (i.e., hiring) coming later. BCM made everything unnecessarily difficult. I'm not sure if this was because of the PI (very flighty) or the school (it was like they manufactured red tape), but things were really slow and then they'd give me a deadline of something like 24hrs to get back to them. I think the thing that frustrated me the most was that no one would tell me anything! I didn't even have an offer in writing until I demanded it two weeks before my start date. How can the expect a person to start a job without a full description of salary, benefits, etc?! Ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• I didn't have a formal interview, just a meet and greet with the PI, so I wasn't asked any particular questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my salary. Don't let anyone tell you that the NIH limit is set in stone. If they want you, they will find you money. Pay for postdocs is pitiful and most PIs know we could make more money elsewhere. It's part of the training process, but we deserve to be compensated.

Research Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine (Houston, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Got an email from the Hiring manager a few days afterwards and set-up an on-site interview with the team. After a few days got another email to set-up another round with the HR. The same day got another email asking for written references from former employers. Very unusual that references were asked before the offer.

Interview Questions

• General background and experience questions. Nothing extra-ordinary.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine (Houston, TX).

Interview

Came on a one-day visit to interview with hiring manager, his colleagues, and other employees. Went to lunch with would-be co-workers, and dinner with manager. Overall good experience. Gave 1 hour job talk describing my research.

Interview Questions

• overall expect challenging questions related to research   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was offered what I expected

Project Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Baylor College of Medicine.

Interview

I applied online to be a Project Intern in the IT Department, got a response the next day, and interviewed the next week on site. The interview lasted for about half an hour. They asked me very basic behavioral questions, and I think they brought a bank of questions. The interviewers were very kind and despite the standard questions, the interview was quite conversational.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, all the questions were fairly standard. Asked about me teamwork experience, how I approach problems, etc.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Interview

apply online, face-to-face interview. I had the impression that they had a pretty good idea about who to hire from the beginning. So as long as you don't behave like an idiot and be honest with your answers they should give you an offer

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Baylor College of Medicine.

Interview

Contact me next day, and asked me several questions. Basic question. and Introduced me several ongoing projects and lab environments and then asked me if i had questions and then asked me why chose baylor

Division Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Baylor College of Medicine (Houston, TX).

Interview

Was contacted by receptionist from department within days of submitting resume online and was scheduled for interview for the following week. Arrived at interview and waited over 45 minutes for the interviewers to arrive. Interview was brief with few questions. Questions were typical of management interviews, but lacking in depth. Interviewers didn't provide much/clear information regarding the position, even after asking several questions. Was informed that the interview was a 3 part interview and would receive follow up regarding next step. Within 2 days received email that someone else was hired.