Bazaarvoice Interview Questions in Austin, TX

3.3

66 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Implementation Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in July 2014.

Was contacted by a BV recruiter and went through several phone screens followed by an onsite interview with 3 managers/peers. Was flawless up to that point. Then things went way south. BV requires IPMs to do a mock kickoff presentation, but they do not provide you with any details other than to be creative and detailed... which I was. The presentation format provided was as follows... Personal introduction (5 minutes), Kickoff presentations (30-45 minutes) and Q&A (10 minutes). I spent at least 3 or 4 days creating and recreating my presentation based on everything I could find online about the products I was asked to include in my presentation. I was told the presentation would be in front of the people I had already proven myself to in the interview... that was not the case. I showed up and there were 4 strangers, which put me off guard and at a disadvantage , but I knew my kickoff was rock solid. Of course I don't know BV products and a 20+ page kickoff presentation of the unknown required me to read from my notes. Each of the 4 people interrupted me at least once during my presentation to throw objections, which obviously I was not expecting, but I handled them like a pro. It did throw me off course at one point, but I circled back quickly... Or, so I thought. There was no Q&A because they kept interrupting me, so there wasn't anything left to throw at me at the end of my presentation. I asked at the end what they thought about my presentation and was told that it's pretty much exactly what they are using for their kickoff calls, so that was cool. I was then completely blindsided the next day when I received a call from the recruiter telling me that they declined making me an offer stating that "my nerves got the better of me" in addition to they didn't like a couple of my answers to their questions aka "interruptions" during my presentation. The recruiter seemed shocked when I told her that they all interrupted me during my presentation and even stated that they should not have done that. Well, they did. I honestly don't know what they were looking for or who they want, but unless you are flawless, which is impossible if you don't already work there. Don't be surprised at this practice. I most likely have more experience doing PM and implementation than all 4 combined. And their disrespect of their own process and of my time and experience, was kind of a joke. So, if you are experienced and have any self respect, do yourself a favor and pass on BV. They are an immature organization and unless you know someone who works there who can land you a gig OR you receive a 100% unanimous vote on your presentation, even from non-managers who can't even follow their own hiring practices... well... I'm sure you get the point. Lucky for me a "professional" company made me a 6 figure offer, so good luck to BV trusting kids and an immature process to do their hiring.

QA Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in July 2014.

HR called me to vet my online application and see if I was interested. They seemed confused as to the job description. It mentioned a "hands on manager", yet when I asked him if it was a hands on role, he said it would be a pure manager role. He suggested it wasn't a good fit for what I was wanting (which may have been true if the job description was accurate and he was just confused as to the "hands on" portion of the role).

Here comes the weird part (and why I gave a negative rating). About 2 weeks later I get an email from him asking if I was still interested in the position. I replied that I was still interested. Then nothing. Crickets. After 4 more emails trying to setup a time to discuss the role, I gave up trying.

This is the most unprofessional HR experience I have ever had.

Implementation Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in May 2014.

I sent in my resume and spoke to the Recruiter right away. After that call, I spoke to someone on the IPM team. After those two calls, I came onsite and had 3 interviews for 30 minutes each. The last step was to come back and do a mock kickoff call with the same people you interviewed with plus one more Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Just be very detailed in your answers, nothing high level.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice.

Questions -
    2. Print a binary tree in snake order ie 1st level left to right, 2nd level right to left, 3rd left to right and so on.
    3. How would you design a replacement for 5 category manual labelling system of a review?
    4. How many zeroes are there in decimal representation of all numbers(1,2...n) upto a given number n?
    5. Given a service what would you compromise on among CAP? Open discussion on it.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Describe how would you design a service health monitoring and alerting service?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice.

Submitted resume online through their website. After about 2 weeks I received an email from HR and had a subsequent phone call with the recruiter. Then another call with the hiring manager a week or so later, and finally after about another week I was brought in to meet the hiring manager and three other employees I would be interacting with. Almost a month duration from first contact to the office interviews. The interviews were professional and I feel they asked typical questions for the role. I was told several times during the process that my experience matched well and was "what they were looking for". However, I was told they went with another candidate with similar experience but with more exposure to their industry. I don't necessarily agree that industry experience would be a differentiating factor for this position, and it would have been helpful for them to state upfront if that was a potential deal-breaker. I was surprised, as they didn't seem that myopic during the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They were mostly interested in my background and past experiences, and had some questions regarding how to handle difficult situations and people. For this role there was no technical assessment required. Because of my experience, I think the on-site interviews were more about personality than whether I was qualified, because I was asked pretty much the same questions that I got from the phone interviews.   Answer Question

Implementation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in March 2014.

Went through a phone screening, a timed technical test, phone interview, then finally an onsite interview with 3 managers. Everyone I spoke with was awesome and made me feel welcome and although the interview process was lengthy it went smoothly and quickly.

Technical Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in November 2013.

First interaction was a phone interview with a recruiter, very straight forward no difficult or unexpected questions.
    Next, was a phone interview with a hiring manager. I was asked mostly behavioral questions about situations I had been in and how I handled them.
    I was then given a technical assessment. I worked with HTML, CSS, JavaScript and JQuery. It was straightforward and not too difficult, but it was timed.
    Lastly, I was brought in for an on-site. I had multiple back to back interviews and the last interview administered a second technical assessment.

Interview Questions
    • Using JavaScript, display a paragraph of content when a specific button is clicked.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in June 2013.

I had a recruiter contact me about a month after I applied with my resume. I was given a phone screen shortly thereafter. After passing the phone screen, I was brought onsite for a 6 hour interview. I had three interviews in the morning - each about 45 minutes. Then I was given lunch for 1:15 with a director level person. Then three more interviews at 45 minutes each. I can't remember all of the questions, but here are the ones I can.

Interview Questions
    • Phone Screen: write a simple compression algorithm to change aaabbbcccaabbbbc into: a3b3c3a2b4c1   Answer Question
    • 1st onsite: given a list, separate out all duplicates into separate lists and return. So take {1,1,2,3,4,4} and return {1,2,3,4},{1,4}   View Answer
    • 2nd onsite: several design questions about the data structures you would use if implementing a language. It didn't make sense to me - this is probably one of the places I was weak.   Answer Question
    • 5th onsite: several architectural questions about creating a website and making it scalable.   Answer Question
    • 6th onsite: Given a DAG graph, write an algorithm that traverses the graph and returns the first path from point a to point b or none if there is none. Extend that algorithm to return all paths. Extend that algorithm to sum the weight of the nodes in the path.   View Answer

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in January 2013.

I was first contacted by a recruiter from Bazaarvoice through LinkedIn about the position. She did a phone screen and I then was passed on to someone on the QA team for a more in-depth phone screen. I was then invited in for an on-site interview that lasted most of the day. Since my interview I have not yet heard anything back from them and it has been over a week. I did appreciate the fact that I was taken out for lunch, which hardly happens anymore.

The biggest issue I had with this interview was that one of the interviewers contacted my current boss directly after my interview. I did not tell this person who my boss was, but the fact that this person called a person at my current work place (who happened to be my boss) to check me out I thought was very unprofessional. I would make it clear to anyone I talk to here that they should not contact your current employer.

Interview Questions
    • There were several programming questions, about how I would code certain conditions. I thought it a bit over the top for a QA position. I know they are looking for test automation, but seemed a bit much. Of course most of the people I talked to were developers.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in October 2012.

Absolutely the best interview process I have been through for a software engineering position. I interviewed as an undergraduate student looking for a full-time position, and I really enjoyed their recruiting process. I flew out for an on-site, where I had several interviews, and all but one were technical in nature. I had lunch with some engineers, and dinner with some managers and a recruiter. Conversation was casual and non-technical in nature, which I appreciated. The employees are all very well-rounded, which is rare in the software industry. After dinner, all the people I had dinners with, managers included, followed up with personal emails. Later in the week, the CTO called me up and made himself available for questions. Overall, I got the impression that they are a great company with a recruiting process that shows how much they value their employees.

Interview Questions
    • My non-technical interview asked me to explain what Mock Trial (a debate program I'm involved in) is and how it works. I wasn't expecting this from a software engineering interview.   View Answer

I found another position at a different company that better suited my interests at the time.

Worked for Bazaarvoice? Contribute to the Community!