Bazaarvoice Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014

3.3

Senior Art Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in March 2010.

Very long and laborious process

They won't offer anything, you have to ask for it.

Implementation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in April 2012.

Bazaarvoice's has by far the most efficient and pleasant interview to hiring pipeline I've encountered. They are extremely responsive once the interview process commenced and everyone I've spoken to remotely or in person have been very quick to provide helpful responses. From my dealings thus far with Bazaarvoice; I am very pleased to have been offered a position with this company and am looking forward to working with such a diligent team of people.

Interview Questions
    • The questions I was asked were mostly to do with my interactions with clients and project / time management.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in February 2012.

The initial phone screen was pretty basic, but there was some miscommunication in regards to setting up the appointment. I live on the east coast, and so all the times I mentioned over email communications included "EST" but when they responded, they didn't specify the interview time as CST or EST, so I ended up waiting an extra hour. Not a big deal, but just something to note.

Interview Questions
    • If you were to design a casino for a blind person, how would you go about your design process?   View Answer
    • Describe what is your favorite object, explain why, and it cannot be an Apple product.   View Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in October 2011.

Phone Interview first, very positive feedback. Followed up by onsite interview a few days later - 1.5 hours - met with 3 different people in varying levels of interaction with the position. Very energetic group but seemed judgemental, distracted and rushed which made the interview process uncomfortable. Was unsure of the position by the end, didn't receive further communication.

Interview Questions
    • Normal job experience questions... Name a time when you had to ask for assistance - how did you approach, what did you do?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in February 2012.

After talking with HR, you go through a phone interview. The technical part of the phone interview consisted of mostly one question - implement an algorithm for a change machine to use with any monetary system. The phone interview to be much easier and laid back than in-person.

Market Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in February 2012.

I applied online and received a phone interview request to schedule a time. The phone interview was fairly casual with some general questions on experience, background, and any current knowledge I had about the company. I would say it helps to do a little bit of research behind the company so that you at least have a general idea about what they do.

A few days after the initial phone interview I received an email stating they would like to proceed with the interview process. I was notified that the process would involve a couple stages involving a 1:1 with 2-3 directors, managers, and/or team members and a presentation/role-play test. The 1:1 interviews would determine whether I would advance to the second stage.

My 1:1 interviews were 30 min with a director and 30 min with a manager. Once again, it definitely helps to be prepared. I didn't just skim over the webpage for info, I spent a good amount of time reading/studying their case papers, blog, and webinars. The more info I discovered, the more I felt Bazaarvoice would be a great fit for me. I really felt that the research paid off in not only showing my passion to work for the company, but also in giving me a little head start in getting up to speed once I got the job.

In a few days I received notification I had qualified to move on to the final round and I was scheduled to come in about a week later. I was to bring in a prepared intro letter / email to a hypothetical director or VP of a potential client company, then I would role-play a phone call with said VP, then be given a few minutes to write a follow up email on the spot. This final process was the most nerve racking part! PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE! Solid knowledge of BV services/products and industry will help you overcome objections in the role-play.

Everyone was very respectful and the overall work atmosphere on my visits seemed very cheerful and bright. The HR staff and recruiter were incredibly friendly, kept in good contact, and genuinely seemed to want to find the right fit for the job. All in all, I found the process to be challenging and exciting.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me, in your own words, what Bazaarvoice does?   Answer Question

Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in February 2011.

Bazaarvoice has a great process that is very effective at insuring a candidate is serious about wanting a position. After several phone interviews and discussions, they brought me in to do a presentation (sales pitch) to a room full of people playing the role of the perspective customer. I was not given any information about the presentation other than who my audience would be and what my product focus should be. The presentation went well and overall I thought this process was FAR better than the typical interview track where people ask you seemingly clever questions about hypothetical situations you will never encounter. Asking the candidate to research the company, products, and services to put together his/her own presentation is way more effective at helping both the candidate and the hiring manager glean useful insights. In the end, I did not get an official offer due to some timing and budget issues. Had I been able to wait it out a few more months, I would probably be writing this review as an employee. That said, it's a great company and I would gladly do it all over for the right position.

Interview Questions
    • "The Presentation" was a mock sales call   View Answer

QA Automation Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in January 2012.

The interview process consisted of an HR phone screen, a technical phone screen, and, since I passed the technical screen, an on-site one-on-one interview with 5 separate people. I was given an itinerary of how the interviews were to go, but it was totally wrong.

During the course of the interviews, I had to do 3 white board tests, 2 of which were coding and one was test coverage related.

I felt that all interviewers were engaged in the interview and not just going through the motions as some have said on this site. Everyone was friendly. Most interviewers had worked there less than a year (some only 3 or 4 months). Several commented on the fact that I was wearing a suit to the interview, which I'm not sure if they were indifferent to it or it was a bad thing (evidently, no one in Austin wears suits to interviews). Not sure if I was being judged to "not fit in" with the culture due to my interview appearance. They seem to be very big on fitting in with their "culture". I am used to working for companies with very friendly and family like culture and have even worked at Startups before with a similar atmosphere as Bazaarvoice. You can tell they still operate like a Startup, including the long hours (that's why they have the free snacks and all).

Overall, I thought the interviews went well, although I know I could have done better in some areas. In the end, I did not get an offer. Honestly, after the interviews, seeing their offices, and reading comments on here, I was still very much on the fence if I would accept an offer; it would had to have been a really good offer. I already have a good job in a non-startup company with one of the best cultures I have ever worked in.

Interview Questions
    • When you interview people, how do you determine if they have skills you are looking for?   View Answer

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in January 2012.

There were several steps to the BV interview process:

To begin with, I applied online through the Bazaarvoice website. I was contacted within a few days by a senior recruiter for a phone screening.

The phone screening took about 30 minutes and was basically a review of my resume. I spoke with the recruiter about my background, experience, and interest in Bazaarvoice. This interview was not too difficult, and similar to phone screening at any other company. It is helpful to stress enterprise B2B sales experience as well as a familiarity with Bazaarvoice's products and customers.

After the phone screening came an on-site interview. I met with three individuals, all Director or VP level employees from BV's sales organization. The interviewers each had different styles, but for the most part they were informal and unconventional -- not just going over your resume, but probing and unusual questions to see if you could think on your feet. Coming into these interviews, know your resume well, but it may not come up. You'll impress them if you can highlight tangible results from your background, and if you can illustrate your passion for BV.

A few days after the interview, I was contacted to schedule the final round. This is the most daunting part of the interview -- essentially it is a role-playing exercise done by a panel. Unfortunately, there is not much "hard" info on the Bazaarvoice website, so filling in information gaps takes some time. I highly recommend reading their White Papers and Case Studies.

I was asked to prepare an account brief analyzing Apple as a prospective customer. They send you a PowerPoint template to use, but I decided *not* to use PowerPoint because it is incredibly boring. Although this was a bold move, the panel appreciated it. I spent about 10 minutes discussing my brief -- focusing on a modified SWOT analysis. This is a great opportunity to vet your strategy and bone up on the product line.

Next, I was showed and an email I had written (prior to the interview) that I would send to prospects. By very mindful of spelling, grammar, and punctuation here -- they are sticklers for that stuff!

The "meat" of the interview was a conference call with the panel, where they pretended to be prospects at Apple. To add an element of realism, the interviewers leave the room and actually call you from a conference room. I appreciated this, because I usually find role playing tasks lacking because you are staring your colleague in the face. Having them out of the room makes it feel a little more like an actual call.

I won't like, the mock phone call was difficult. They panel will do everything they can to shake your confidence and generally come off as unfriendly and/or apathetic prospects. Be sure to be in a "selling" state of mind. A key to getting through this call is being familiar with BV's product line *beyond* ratings and reviews. There was a short de-briefing after the role play to get feedback.

Within a few days I had an offer letter in hand.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate, but there is not too much wiggle room. They have some range, but can not move on all fronts. For example, I wanted a bump in variable compensation, base salary, and stock options, but I was forced to choose one. That being said, they were able to increase your chosen variable significantly.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in October 2011.

The phone interview was straight forward. I was asked questions on my resume, work experience etc. I was called for an onsite interview which was scheduled a week out from my phone interview. Onsite, I had around 6 one on one interviews which took up most part of the day. The interviews themselves involved puzzles and algorithms and was told this is their technical interview. I was not once asked anything about technology or even related to programming concepts. I was surprised to be asked puzzles and such for a senior level job. I did not get a good feel for what they were looking for.

Interview Questions
    • something to do with a math algorithm on contiguous sets   Answer Question