Bazaarvoice

Getting the Interview

16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Director

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in September 2010.

Interview Details – There were multiple rounds of interviews. The first interview was with a recruiter. The next 2 interviews were phone interviews, one being a screening interview in which they rejected me, when I continued to persist they moved me to the next interview. 2 In person interviews and a sales presentation to a group. The group presentation is terrific and allows a sales person to shine. This is where you can close the deal!

Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in June 2012.

Interview Details – As others have said, it's a process that really tests how much you want the job. If you're excited at the prospect of joining the team at Bazaarvoice, then the process is invigorating and exciting. If not, then I'm sure multiple interviews followed by a presentation is a little daunting. I found the process to be very fair and it gave me the chance to put my best foot forward, vs. most interviews. My .002...look at the presentation part as a new prospect you're trying to land and put in the time needed to distance yourself from the pack.

Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in February 2011.

Interview Details – Bazaarvoice has a great process that is very effective at insuring a candidate is serious about wanting a position. After several phone interviews and discussions, they brought me in to do a presentation (sales pitch) to a room full of people playing the role of the perspective customer. I was not given any information about the presentation other than who my audience would be and what my product focus should be. The presentation went well and overall I thought this process was FAR better than the typical interview track where people ask you seemingly clever questions about hypothetical situations you will never encounter. Asking the candidate to research the company, products, and services to put together his/her own presentation is way more effective at helping both the candidate and the hiring manager glean useful insights. In the end, I did not get an official offer due to some timing and budget issues. Had I been able to wait it out a few more months, I would probably be writing this review as an employee. That said, it's a great company and I would gladly do it all over for the right position.

Interview Question – "The Presentation" was a mock sales call   View Answer

Austin, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in October 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview with recruiters, one on one with manager and team members, group presentation. Good process for those they want to work through the process. Others I have spoken to said they are very unresponsive if you don't ring their bell. If you make it through this process you can make it through almost any other interview.

Interview Question – Tell me how you would show ROI to a customer or prospect?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No. They do not negotiate. The process is long and BV claims that once you are done you are in which is not true. BV is stuck on culture (so was Jim Jones) and if you do not fit in they will let you go no matter how good or experienced you are with no warning or process as HR is only for recruiting at this point. If you have a good job now think hard before you accept a position at this cool aid culture. They are on a hiring frenzy and overall corporate high due to early successes. CEO has a great vision and means well but his lieutenants are doing him no favors and his cultural model will not scale. Finally, people who have been there a few years are clicky and look down upon the new people. Stock offerings are small and dilution has and will happen. Salaries are lower than industry average.

Very Difficult Interview

Austin, TX

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in April 2010.

Interview Details – This company doesn't try to get to know you and your past skill set during the interview process. If you want a job here, my best advice would be to become an undercover spy and camp out at Bazaarvoice HQ for a few months before the interview. You should get to know everything and anything you can about who they are. Again, they don't care what you've done in the past. They want to know that you will come in day one with no need for training and already know how to sell BV. The interviews are more like interrogations. And, I am a good interview candidate in most other circumstances. Good Luck.

Interview Question – Tell me a story....   View Answer

Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in June 2010.

Interview Details – The communication with recruiting was disorganized and haphazard. Although I am a remote candidate - it was obvious that there was no formal internal communication method. Often individuals would ask the same or a conflicting series of questions indicating disorganization. I believe its partly a result of my working with up to 5 recruiters at once: this is naturally going to lead to an informational breakdown. Overall they have a very specific set of requirements you must reach and understand very well what they are looking for. The bandwidth to make errors or be unsure is thin, there is an exact expectation. This leads me to believe they are looking for candidates to enter and adhere to systems in place rather than think and operate freely. They took themselves very seriously and it was largely driven on intellectual capacity, speed to adapt and ability to immediately understand the value proposition and far less to do with leadership skills, personality or congruency with corporate culture.

Interview Question – Why would this [example] company use our product? There is no evident or obvious need for them to see a value in our product - but they use it none-the-less. Why ?   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in May 2010.

Interview Details – Know the products, Know the competition, Know the industry, Be yourself - and be Energetic. Subscribe and read the Bazaarvoice Blog - set up a google alert for Bazaarvoice news.

Interview Question – in the presentation phase "What will this (bazaarvoice) cost me?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Communicate effectively :)

Austin, TX

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in April 2010.

Interview Details – There isn't much I can offer that hasn't been talked about in previous reviews. The review from March 26th entitled "Outside Sales at Bazaarvoice" pretty much sums up my thoughts.

I think that Bazaarvoice has some interesting products, but what they are doing is quickly becoming a commodity. They are out looking for enterprise sales professionals to sell to marketing. The job seems very entry level and based on the quotas that were discussed, it seems like a definite step backwards for most of the people they're targeting and hiring.

It seems that they really want a cheerleader type for the Sales Director role, which is not me. I've been in Enterprise sales for over a decade with an amazingly successful track record. I attribute that to building relationships of depth and mutual respect. The cheesy wink and smile approach would never work for me, but through every step of the process, I felt like that was being asked for. I did the sales "test" and put plenty of time into it, given the demands of my current job and life. However, through all my research I just couldn't get that passionate about what they're doing, although interesting. I continued the process more for the challenge than the desire to actually get hired, and I believe the showed and led to me ultimately not getting an offer.

On the day of my "test" (i.e. mock sales presentation), there was a lot of confusion and it seemed like they were scrambling around to find people to attend. Several people were very disengaged from the get-go and there was a lot of emailing, etc that took place during my presentation. It seems like the massive amount of interviews may be taking it's toll on those who have to constantly attend.

Like previous reviewers, the OTE was far lower than I've made in a long time and not something I would have entertained had I made it to the offer negotiation stage. While not moving forward was admittedly a blow to my ego, I quickly realized that it would not have been a good fit. I do think that BV misses out on a lot of good candidates based on their one-way recruiting process. Never through the process was I sold to in any way. I'm used to the interview process being a two-way discovery process and at BV it definitely is not. I don't know if I would go quite as far as the previous poster and say it is a cult, but I did have to laugh when I read it, as it definitely could easily be construed that way.

I'm glad I went through the process, overall I would say it was too much time spent on my side for very little result. While I did appreciate the quick/immediate feedback along each step of the process, I would have hoped for a little more constructive criticism through the sales presentation phase.

Interview Question – If you worked here, how would you describe what we do to your grandma?   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in April 2010.

Interview Details – To begin, I think Bazaarvoice has some great products and talented people. Followed by... however, the interview process with them was a Disaster. As I have seen others comment, the recruiting team is very disorganized as they rescheduled my first phone interview after it was scheduled to start to the next day. That next day it was rescheduled again for the next week (about 30 minutes before it was scheduled to start). Finally, the phone screen was relatively basic asking what you know about the products, competitor (Power Reviews), and what interested you about BV.

A week later I was brought into the office for three one-on-one interviews with senior members of the sales team. Disaster. The recruiter, they said, had been let go. No surprise, but wait... I see on her Linked In profile that she started a new job. Funny that you should feel you need to tell people she was dismissed. My interviews never made it on to anyones calendars, so they will squeeze me in. These people have been in back to back meetings all day and its the end of the quarter, they are not happy and I am not happy to be in this situation.

Coming from a non-sales background, i was concerned with the interview process and spoke with the (now gone) recruiter at length. Would I need to give a pitch? No, that is done in the final round presenting before a group. First question, pitch me as if I am XX company. I struggle through, but have lost this guy already. He's checking email, playing with a piece of string, generally killing time until he can get me out of his office. My next two interviewers are busy, we find another guy. He is genuine, but he's already been clued in that this isn't going to work out. Third interview, he's busy.

I should have been ready for the pitch, that's fair. Myself to blame, but not just me when I am told not to expect it. Pissing people off before you've even started the interview, that BV recruiting is also your fault. I'm sorry that the process was a waste of the sales managers time. I hope BV is sorry that I wasted over a week of networking, moving my schedule, researching, and preparing.

Interview Question – Pitch me as if I am XX (your vertical of interest) company?   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bazaarvoice in March 2010.

Interview Details – The process was very detailed and very intense. I was a relo, so my interview consisted of four separate phone interviews (normally some of those would be face to face), then a presentation before 4 of their execs.

Overall, the process was involved but I could clearly tell they were interested in quality people and put interviewees through enough tests/trials to filter down to that group.

The presentation was tough, but very rewarding as it gives you a chance to show how you work and how you sell. There really isn't a better way to see an applicant in action than this.

Great experience, great company.

Interview Question – What makes you a good fit for our company and our culture?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I'm sure I was able to negotiate, but I didn't as the offer was excellent. The company takes great care of it's employees, so there's not much concern for a need for negotiation or worry.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bazaarvoice

Worked for Bazaarvoice? Contribute to the Community!

Bazaarvoice Videos

Bazaarvoice – Why Work for Us?

Bazaarvoice is based on a simple truth; when people talk to each other, people buy stuff they are happy about because they trust the opinions of others. We see a day when all voices are connected and, together, help the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bazaarvoice Sales Director interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bazaarvoice employees and interview candidates.