Bear Stearns

Updated Dec 5, 2014
Updated Dec 5, 2014

3.2

FAST Programmer Interview

Started out with a phone screen, then went through multiple rounds of interviews with peers as well as various managing directors, most of which were technical coding questions or puzzles, many of which were mathematical in nature. Once you pass through these rounds of interviews, you met with a senior managing director for a brief screen, but I think that was more customary in nature. Not sure who, if any, failed the last screen

Associate, Private Banking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bear Stearns.

Interviews for completion of MBA.
    Intense interviews.
    On campus for initial, then in New York City.
    Must have MBA.
    I had 5 interviews.
    Was offered the job on the spot in New York after my last interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was expecting very technical questions but did not get any questions i thought were hard.
      In retrospect, i think they expect you to be pretty smart after getting your mba from a top school.
      I think they were most interested in finding out if they liked you enough to work with you in a highly intense work environment where you are expected to do everything quickly and perfectly -- no fails allowed.
      Your resume and past experience is very important, you must have some solid accomplishments and prove it.
      Must be a quick thinker in the interview and don't show any weakness because this truly is a highly intense environment.

View Answer
    I applied during tech wreck, and it was really tough to just get the job. Many firms did not hire or laid off their brand new bankers a few weeks after hiring them.
    There was not much negotiation, I was very excited to just get a job. They told me what i would get. However, I turned the offer down initially, because i still had more interviews. But I accepted after my interviews, about a week later.

Associate Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bear Stearns.

I was recruited by an executive recruiter and had three interviews. The first one was with HR and was lengthy. The next two interviews were with the SMDs I would report to. Each of them asked very different questions and most of of it was about my previous experience and how that experience would allow me to contribute to the goals of the new entrepreneurial venture, within Bear Stearns, I was to work for.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was that I would now be approaching a different segment of the financial services sector, than I had in the past. Even though I had a lot of financial services experience, how would I be able to be successful within this new niche?   Answer Question
    Not very lenghty as the base salary was very good and the bonus was strictly based on a percentage of the new business I was able to bring in.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Hanover, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Hanover, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bear Stearns in May 2008.

I was contacted by the hiring manager to come over for a personal interview. Felt very positive meeting the hiring manager. He showed commitment and good work ethics. Interview started with him and his supervisor. They conducted the interview professionally and I was able to answer all their questions and accepted the offer

Interview Questions
    • How will you determine a stock is buy vs Sell given normal business conditions for the company?   Answer Question
    Negatiation was very much not there since this was a consulting position. Have an open mind while negotiating.

Fixed Income Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bear Stearns in May 2008.

I was initially contacted for an interview over the phone and then went into the Bear Stearns offices to meet 3 separate people

Interview Questions
    • One of the most ridiculous questions I heard was "how many people work in the Bear Stearns office in NY." One of the interviewers was fuming when I didn't have an answer to that, and it seemed absurd.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bear Stearns in July 2010.

Applied online, and got couple of email notifications about scheduling interviews, also got a call directly from an interviewer to schedule an interview. First round interviews are phone interviews, then superday in NY office (but not MS's main office, which is weird).

First Year Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bear Stearns in June 2010.

The interview was a two vs. one type interview. Some behavioral questions but mostly logic case study type questions. The interviewer seemed to be very cocky instead of acting interested in getting to know the individual. I've interviewed at all the major investment banks and this one was the only one to act in this demeaner.

Interview Questions
    • logic questions regarding hypothetical weight balancing   View Answer

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bear Stearns in March 2008.

Did some mathematical reasoning test, if you colour in a cube 10x10 how many unpainted sides are there - also lots of what did you learn today etc etc. Talked about my dissertation and why and how you could improve nuclear waste disposal etc. discussed camper van trip which I went on why I did it how insurance costs etc.

Interview Questions

Thought the job wouldn't be intelletually stimulating, and had a better job.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bear Stearns in June 2008.

overall experience was pretty good. Met with 10 people ranging from analyst level to managing director. People were nice and approachable and easy to talk to. Got a few brain teasers but nothing impossible. Afterwards, they took all the interviewees out to a buffet for some networking and for people to ask questions.