Bear Stearns

8 candidate interviews

Associate, Private Banking Interview

Associate, Private Banking
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bear Stearns.

Interview Details – Interviews for completion of MBA.
Intense interviews.
On campus for initial, then in New York City.
Must have MBA.
I had 5 interviews.
Was offered the job on the spot in New York after my last interview.

Interview Question – I was expecting very technical questions but did not get any questions i thought were hard.
In retrospect, i think they expect you to be pretty smart after getting your mba from a top school.
I think they were most interested in finding out if they liked you enough to work with you in a highly intense work environment where you are expected to do everything quickly and perfectly -- no fails allowed.
Your resume and past experience is very important, you must have some solid accomplishments and prove it.
Must be a quick thinker in the interview and don't show any weakness because this truly is a highly intense environment.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – I applied during tech wreck, and it was really tough to just get the job. Many firms did not hire or laid off their brand new bankers a few weeks after hiring them.
There was not much negotiation, I was very excited to just get a job. They told me what i would get. However, I turned the offer down initially, because i still had more interviews. But I accepted after my interviews, about a week later.

Associate Director Interview

Associate Director

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bear Stearns.

Interview Details – I was recruited by an executive recruiter and had three interviews. The first one was with HR and was lengthy. The next two interviews were with the SMDs I would report to. Each of them asked very different questions and most of of it was about my previous experience and how that experience would allow me to contribute to the goals of the new entrepreneurial venture, within Bear Stearns, I was to work for.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was that I would now be approaching a different segment of the financial services sector, than I had in the past. Even though I had a lot of financial services experience, how would I be able to be successful within this new niche?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not very lenghty as the base salary was very good and the bonus was strictly based on a percentage of the new business I was able to bring in.

Consultant Interview

Consultant
East Hanover, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bear Stearns in May 2008.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the hiring manager to come over for a personal interview. Felt very positive meeting the hiring manager. He showed commitment and good work ethics. Interview started with him and his supervisor. They conducted the interview professionally and I was able to answer all their questions and accepted the offer

Interview Question – How will you determine a stock is buy vs Sell given normal business conditions for the company?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negatiation was very much not there since this was a consulting position. Have an open mind while negotiating.

Fixed Income Analyst Interview

Fixed Income Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bear Stearns in May 2008.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted for an interview over the phone and then went into the Bear Stearns offices to meet 3 separate people

Interview Question – One of the most ridiculous questions I heard was "how many people work in the Bear Stearns office in NY." One of the interviewers was fuming when I didn't have an answer to that, and it seemed absurd.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst

The process took a day - interviewed at Bear Stearns in July 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online, and got couple of email notifications about scheduling interviews, also got a call directly from an interviewer to schedule an interview. First round interviews are phone interviews, then superday in NY office (but not MS's main office, which is weird).

Interview Question – Tell me someting apart from what is in your resume   Answer Question

First Year Analyst Interview

First Year Analyst
Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bear Stearns in June 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was a two vs. one type interview. Some behavioral questions but mostly logic case study type questions. The interviewer seemed to be very cocky instead of acting interested in getting to know the individual. I've interviewed at all the major investment banks and this one was the only one to act in this demeaner.

Interview Question – logic questions regarding hypothetical weight balancing   View Answer

Trader Interview

Trader
London, England (UK)

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Bear Stearns in March 2008.

Interview Details – Did some mathematical reasoning test, if you colour in a cube 10x10 how many unpainted sides are there - also lots of what did you learn today etc etc. Talked about my dissertation and why and how you could improve nuclear waste disposal etc. discussed camper van trip which I went on why I did it how insurance costs etc.

Interview Question – What did you learn yesterday   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Thought the job wouldn't be intelletually stimulating, and had a better job.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Bear Stearns in June 2008.

Interview Details – overall experience was pretty good. Met with 10 people ranging from analyst level to managing director. People were nice and approachable and easy to talk to. Got a few brain teasers but nothing impossible. Afterwards, they took all the interviewees out to a buffet for some networking and for people to ask questions.

Interview Question – Walk me through your resume   Answer Question

Worked for Bear Stearns? Contribute to the Community!