Beaverton School District

Updated May 6, 2014

5.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Beaverton School District

Special Education Substitute Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Beaverton School District.

I worked with the BSD as a volunteer, and was recommended for the position. That seems to be the way many people get hired. However there are lots of opportunities for Sub jobs. This is a position that is totally on the job training. The best candidates would be people who are comfortable with children, comfortable making decisions on their own and can be very flexible.

Interview Questions
    • How would you feel if you were given directions from a teacher that you didn't agree with?   View Answer
    no negotiations.

Instructional Assistant Interview

One interview with hiring principal and immediate supervisor

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Beaverton School District in August 2011.

I have interviewed (and been hired) by BSD previously, but this particular interview was unusual, so I thought it was worth posting.

It was a one on one interview with the principal and he stated that he wanted to keep it to a strict 30 minute time limit. The first 15 minutes were fairly standard teacher interview question about learning, assessment, planning, literacy, etc.

The principal then asked me to tell about a time when I had messed up or made a mistake in the classroom and gave me a minute of "think time." After I gave him my answer, he told me that it was a trick question, and spent about 5 minutes telling me how I could have answered it better.

Next he asked me to participate in a racially charged role-playing activity. He used another five minutes to give me a "teachable moment" on how I could have handled the situation better. He then said that there was one minute left and I could ask him one quick question.

I don't know if this is a new interviewing technique, or if this is unique to this particular individual, but I was unprepared for and flustered by the structure of this interview and did not perform as well as I would have liked.

My previous interviews with BSD were more typical teacher interviews with a panel and being approximately an hour long. I would definitely interview with BSD again, but not necessarily with this same person.