Beaverton School District

5.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Beaverton School District

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Beaverton School District in August 2011.

I have interviewed (and been hired) by BSD previously, but this particular interview was unusual, so I thought it was worth posting.

It was a one on one interview with the principal and he stated that he wanted to keep it to a strict 30 minute time limit. The first 15 minutes were fairly standard teacher interview question about learning, assessment, planning, literacy, etc.

The principal then asked me to tell about a time when I had messed up or made a mistake in the classroom and gave me a minute of "think time." After I gave him my answer, he told me that it was a trick question, and spent about 5 minutes telling me how I could have answered it better.

Next he asked me to participate in a racially charged role-playing activity. He used another five minutes to give me a "teachable moment" on how I could have handled the situation better. He then said that there was one minute left and I could ask him one quick question.

I don't know if this is a new interviewing technique, or if this is unique to this particular individual, but I was unprepared for and flustered by the structure of this interview and did not perform as well as I would have liked.

My previous interviews with BSD were more typical teacher interviews with a panel and being approximately an hour long. I would definitely interview with BSD again, but not necessarily with this same person.

Interview Questions

Worked for Beaverton School District? Contribute to the Community!