Beaverton School District

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Teacher Interview

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Beaverton School District in August 2011.

Interview Details – I have interviewed (and been hired) by BSD previously, but this particular interview was unusual, so I thought it was worth posting.

It was a one on one interview with the principal and he stated that he wanted to keep it to a strict 30 minute time limit. The first 15 minutes were fairly standard teacher interview question about learning, assessment, planning, literacy, etc.

The principal then asked me to tell about a time when I had messed up or made a mistake in the classroom and gave me a minute of "think time." After I gave him my answer, he told me that it was a trick question, and spent about 5 minutes telling me how I could have answered it better.

Next he asked me to participate in a racially charged role-playing activity. He used another five minutes to give me a "teachable moment" on how I could have handled the situation better. He then said that there was one minute left and I could ask him one quick question.

I don't know if this is a new interviewing technique, or if this is unique to this particular individual, but I was unprepared for and flustered by the structure of this interview and did not perform as well as I would have liked.

My previous interviews with BSD were more typical teacher interviews with a panel and being approximately an hour long. I would definitely interview with BSD again, but not necessarily with this same person.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you made a mistake.   View Answers (2)

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Beaverton School District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Beaverton School District Teacher interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Beaverton School District employees and interview candidates.