Bechtel

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Bechtel.

Interview Details – Scheduled interview at the Fall career fair of 2013. The Interview was conducted on campus at the top floor of the Hornbake library. Bechtel had most chemical engineering offices focused in Texas. I only had one interview that included behavior questions. I was asked if I preferred a management role, working with other engineers, or a design/simulator role.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you faced a deadline and how you planned your work to successfully meet the deadline.   Answer Question

Engineer

I applied in-person and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Bechtel in September 2012.

Interview Details – I got the interview through the information session they typically hold at our campus (Big Ten) twice a year before the career fair. As always they have almost everyone in my major (Civil Engineering) and even others wanting to talk to them right after.

Now, not to say that this says everything but my school has been among the top 5 Civil schools for a LONG time in the country and internationally well known. So their constant presence at our campus every year is easily understood for many reasons...the name of our university, their 'political relations' with university, and of course students etc.

CAUTION- What I dont understand is how educated smart individuals are fooled by these companies into believing that the time they are taking to review the profile is in reality the time they are using to find better candidates than you and tell you LIE that they are finding you a right fit!

They took 3 months and 4 re-applies as their system kept losing all the candidates and ultimately said no after which I complained about their attitude and working to ETHICAL office who put them to task by making them answer..university requested me to not pursue this so that their reputation is not tarnished but guess what Bechtel...we live in a transparent world.

Lafayette, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bechtel in September 2011.

Interview Details – Campus interview - at spot.
Asked question about past experience, education skills and leadership
looking for inter personnel skils and overall aptitude

Interview Question – Walk me through your resume   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Bechtel in September 2010.

Interview Details – HR recruiter contacted me; there was no job description. I was puzzled to be interviewed by two individuals from disciplines very different from mine, one very senior and uninterested, the other very junior and attempting to use the interview as platform for learning. Although they correctly guessed somebody with my job title should handle the task they identified (also correctly), the way they went about filling the vacancy (if real) was unprofessional and incompetent in every regard. The junior interviewer was picking my brain and gave me some behavioral advice in the end that included wagging finger. I regret I did not leave on my own, since it took me only few minutes to figure out what was going on. The vacancy is still advertised 10 months later, which is actually critical to the task, if real.
Overall surreal, and even folks who know me have a hard time believing the story. One would think something like this can't happen in a reputable organization.

Interview Question – The interviewer attempted to identify technical issues in the complex task.
HOW DO WE DO IT?
  View Answer

Engineer

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bechtel in June 2009.

Interview Details – I applied using the company's website. Human resources called me to set up an interview and flew me down. When I arrived, an HR person went over the employee benefits. I then had three separate one-on-one interviews with engineers. Each one lasted about 45 minutes and was very conversational in nature. Overall, the experience was very typical.

Interview Question – What first made you want to be an engineer?   Answer Question

Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at Bechtel in February 2012.

Interview Details – Interview was a previous college alum so it went smooth . asked about previous interview . Yet to hear from them

Interview Question – Tell me about previous internships   Answer Question

Engineering

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Bechtel in April 2010.

Interview Details – Everyone I encountered was fairly laid back.

Interview Question – Why do you want this position?   Answer Question

Engineering

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Bechtel in August 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed with 4 people and most were pleasant. As it was for a senior level position, there was not many technical questions. The interview was more to get a feel for the rapport with the people within the department.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – The negotation went smoothly. It started with the number I put on the application for which the company offered a little lower in the first offer. I then pushed for a higher amount and the company came back with a higher number closely matching what I was asking for.

Engineer

Interview Details – The interview went pretty well, it was a typical behavioral question type interview. The interviewers were friendly and respectful.

Interview Question – How do you prioritize based on the assigned task, duty or project?   Answer Question

Engineering

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Bechtel in April 2011.

Interview Details – The recruiter set up the phone interview and then the personal interview with the hiring manager

Interview Question – Problems faced during the implementation of the project and its resolution   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bechtel

Worked for Bechtel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bechtel Engineer interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bechtel employees and interview candidates.