Bechtel

Relevance Date Difficulty

Strange Visit Interview

Strange Visit
Frederick, MD

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bechtel in May 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed for a what I thought was a job, but I never got to see the hiring manager. She was "busy" and I spoke to an associate who just about asked nothing about me. I left wondering just what kind of process I went through. It turned out to be a waisted day.

Software Librarian Interview

Software Librarian
Reston, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bechtel in October 2012.

Interview Details – I was supposed to be interviewed by two people but only one of them showed up. No explanation, and no real interview.

Interview Question – It was not a real interview. The lady talked to me about her family life and her feelings about the job.   Answer Question

Purchasing Specialist Interview

Purchasing Specialist
Lawrence, KS

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bechtel in December 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed over the phone. I understand that they usually will fly people in to meet face-to-face, but they chose not to for me (interviewed from Lawrence, KS). They explained their different functions within procurement and made sure I would prefer to be a buyer. Then, they explained their different business lines to try to make clear exactly what it is Bechtel is all about.

Interview Question – None of my questions were difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Civil Engineer Interview

Civil Engineer
Frederick, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bechtel in March 2012.

Interview Details – Received a phone call from London, UK Civil Division HQ. Scheduled a phone interview, and then interviewed in person at a project site in USA. Then received offer shortly thereafter, and project assignment four months after that. Project location was not determined until a few weeks before I departed for international location, as I did not interview for a specific project but rather the position. Stressing your flexibility is recommended, and important if you want to be considered for a starting position.

Interview Question – Unexpected, but not difficult to answer: Place 4 Items In Order of Priority: Schedule, Cost, Quality, Safety   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate, did not want to negotiate, you can try but for entry level positions offer prices are fairly standardized and inflexible.

Mechanical Engineer Intern Interview

Mechanical Engineer Intern
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bechtel in April 2012.

Interview Details – The process took roughly 3 months. I submitted my resume online, and then I was contacted by many different people from HR. I must of talked to atleast 5 different HR people across the US. The interview was with the Chief Engineer and it was pretty straight forward. It was basic stars questions and behavioral questions.

Interview Question – They asked about my GPA (I am an Honors student) and they seemed a little surprised that it wasn't higher. It kind of surprised me because I never thought my GPA was bad.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – HR send me an offer package and I accepted.

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Lafayette, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bechtel in September 2011.

Interview Details – Campus interview - at spot.
Asked question about past experience, education skills and leadership
looking for inter personnel skils and overall aptitude

Interview Question – Walk me through your resume   Answer Question

Turnover Administrative Interview

Turnover Administrative
Oak Creek, WI

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bechtel in August 2008.

Interview Details – The process was pretty long, I had my resume on monsters.com and I received a call for an interview. They worked out of trailers so I was a little to over dressed for the position. At first they thought I was over qualified for the position but I assured them that you have to start somewhere. At first I was not offered the job but after the first candidate didn't work out I was brought aboard.

Interview Question – Where do you see your self in 5 years? I hate that question and most interviewers always ask that question.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They start you off in a staffing service and if the Company wants to hire you direct that is at their discretion. So their is really no negotiating you are offered x amount of money basically take it or leave it.

Project Controls Engineer Interview

Project Controls Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bechtel in May 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview then i went in for a 1 on 1 interview

Interview Question – Why do you want to leave?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Company had bad reputation

Mechanical Engineer II Interview

Mechanical Engineer II
Houston, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Bechtel in November 2011.

Interview Details – They basically went through my resume and asked me about my education, professional experiences, etc.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was very laid back.

Information Technology Associate Interview

Information Technology Associate
Washington, DC

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bechtel in March 2012.

Interview Details – Well I was already an intern at Bechtel so I they knew I had experience and had an idea of the different projects I worked on. I applied for the position like anyone else would from their website and had two phone interviews. One was to gauge my interest in the position and the other was to discuss my work history and what I wanted to do for my career. The in person interview was straightforward as well. Met the hiring manger as well as the supervisor of the office. Discussed roles and responsibilities of the position. They made it clear that they were interested and made me feel at home. Interview took about 1 hour and then I received an offer 2 weeks later. The interview process was quick but after factoring the time I submitted my application I would say it took about 2 months.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I was very nervous because I heard that Bechtel did not negotiate. Furthermore, this being my first job made it even more nerve racking. Nevertheless, when I was presented with a number I asked if there was any wiggle room because of my intern experience and my accomplishments there. Hr rep stated how they arrived at their number but pretty much made it seem non negotiable. I said I need a week to think about it and the next day they called and increased it to make me happy. So I guess the lesson learned is always negotiate because it won't hurt if you approach it in a professional way.