Bechtel Interview Questions

Updated Feb 2, 2015

2.6

Software Librarian Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bechtel (Reston, VA) in October 2012.

Interview

I was supposed to be interviewed by two people but only one of them showed up. No explanation, and no real interview.

Interview Questions

• It was not a real interview. The lady talked to me about her family life and her feelings about the job.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Bechtel in September 2012.

Interview

I got the interview through the information session they typically hold at our campus (Big Ten) twice a year before the career fair. As always they have almost everyone in my major (Civil Engineering) and even others wanting to talk to them right after.

Now, not to say that this says everything but my school has been among the top 5 Civil schools for a LONG time in the country and internationally well known. So their constant presence at our campus every year is easily understood for many reasons...the name of our university, their 'political relations' with university, and of course students etc.

CAUTION- What I dont understand is how educated smart individuals are fooled by these companies into believing that the time they are taking to review the profile is in reality the time they are using to find better candidates than you and tell you LIE that they are finding you a right fit!

They took 3 months and 4 re-applies as their system kept losing all the candidates and ultimately said no after which I complained about their attitude and working to ETHICAL office who put them to task by making them answer..university requested me to not pursue this so that their reputation is not tarnished but guess what Bechtel...we live in a transparent world.

Site Acquisition Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bechtel (Columbia, MD) in September 2012.

Interview

Communication started with e-mails, and they asked me to fill out a formal application, then they did a phone interview and offered me the job, but I had asked to come in and see the office and meet face to face. I had previous experience with their client directly, so it was a pretty easy process for me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I gave them my offer, they offered me 10K less, we met in the middle

Inventory Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nipton, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bechtel (Nipton, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

It was a phone interview, although I was not aware of it at the time. We talked for about 45 minutes, I was a bit more honest, asked about the benefits, salary and location of job site. I answered every question as honestly as I could, talked about my 21 years in the Marine Corps, and how I could bring that experience to this Company.

Strange Visit Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bechtel (Frederick, MD) in May 2012.

Interview

I interviewed for a what I thought was a job, but I never got to see the hiring manager. She was "busy" and I spoke to an associate who just about asked nothing about me. I left wondering just what kind of process I went through. It turned out to be a waisted day.

Project Controls Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bechtel (Houston, TX) in May 2012.

Interview

Phone interview then i went in for a 1 on 1 interview

Company had bad reputation

Mechanical Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bechtel (Houston, TX) in April 2012.

Interview

The process took roughly 3 months. I submitted my resume online, and then I was contacted by many different people from HR. I must of talked to atleast 5 different HR people across the US. The interview was with the Chief Engineer and it was pretty straight forward. It was basic stars questions and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my GPA (I am an Honors student) and they seemed a little surprised that it wasn't higher. It kind of surprised me because I never thought my GPA was bad.   Answer Question

Negotiation

HR send me an offer package and I accepted.

Information Technology Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Bechtel (Washington, DC) in March 2012.

Interview

Well I was already an intern at Bechtel so I they knew I had experience and had an idea of the different projects I worked on. I applied for the position like anyone else would from their website and had two phone interviews. One was to gauge my interest in the position and the other was to discuss my work history and what I wanted to do for my career. The in person interview was straightforward as well. Met the hiring manger as well as the supervisor of the office. Discussed roles and responsibilities of the position. They made it clear that they were interested and made me feel at home. Interview took about 1 hour and then I received an offer 2 weeks later. The interview process was quick but after factoring the time I submitted my application I would say it took about 2 months.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • What are one of your weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a project or task you had to complete by a deadline and how did you accomplish the task.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was very nervous because I heard that Bechtel did not negotiate. Furthermore, this being my first job made it even more nerve racking. Nevertheless, when I was presented with a number I asked if there was any wiggle room because of my intern experience and my accomplishments there. Hr rep stated how they arrived at their number but pretty much made it seem non negotiable. I said I need a week to think about it and the next day they called and increased it to make me happy. So I guess the lesson learned is always negotiate because it won't hurt if you approach it in a professional way.

Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bechtel (Frederick, MD) in March 2012.

Interview

Received a phone call from London, UK Civil Division HQ. Scheduled a phone interview, and then interviewed in person at a project site in USA. Then received offer shortly thereafter, and project assignment four months after that. Project location was not determined until a few weeks before I departed for international location, as I did not interview for a specific project but rather the position. Stressing your flexibility is recommended, and important if you want to be considered for a starting position.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected, but not difficult to answer: Place 4 Items In Order of Priority: Schedule, Cost, Quality, Safety   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not negotiate, did not want to negotiate, you can try but for entry level positions offer prices are fairly standardized and inflexible.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bechtel (Houston, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

Behavioral questions. Asked me if I had worked on any technical projects and the biggest goal I set for myself and how I overcame my challenges.

Interview Questions

• Explain your technical responsibilities   Answer Question
    • What was the biggest challenge you faced in your project and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question