Bechtel Marine Propulsion Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

2.3

Associate Engineer (Power Plant Engineering) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Mifflin, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion (West Mifflin, PA).

Interview

Overall this was a very laid back interview. You will interview with anywhere from 1-5 managers depending on how many jobs are available at the time. As others mentioned, you get your own hotel room and the managers come to you for a 40 min interview. This process is fast and furious as 40 min is not nearly enough time, so make sure you can sell yourself quickly. About half of the interview consists of the manager letting the candidate know about the team focus area and daily duties (which is awesome). At the end of each interview session you will be prompted with a technical question in order to test your ability to problem solve under pressure. I was extremely happy with the process and was very impressed with the way that they portrayed the company.

Interview Questions

• Q: Talk about a time that you utilized basic mechanical principles to solve a complex problem.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Niskayuna, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion (Niskayuna, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and about a week and a half later got contacted by the human resources department with a list of questions to answer, e.g., continued interest in the job, explanations of gaps in employment, if I have held a security clearance in the past, etc. I was then told that my answers would be forwarded to the hiring manager and that if I was selected to move forward he would call me and screen me on the phone. The next week he called me and we had a conversation on the phone and shortly thereafter I was contacted by HR again to let me know I was being invited on site for an interview. The interview went well. First you have to sign in with security and thereafter wait for the HR representative to bring you through security. That was pretty interesting because before you go in they have security personnel that make sure there is no classified information on display on the route you take-- you also have police officers just standing around with assault rifles strapped on, as an fyi. Then they will give a rather thorough presentation of the lab and the history and benefits should you get hired and accept an offer. Because there is only one position available and still one more candidate to interview I have not yet been extended an offer until they make a decision. After the presentation, you get processed and your fingerprints taken and then you will be interviewed. After the interview you have a close out meeting with the HR representative who discusses salary requirements and such with you. For me, two of the engineers I interviewed with took me out to lunch and dropped me back at the hotel. Very nice experience overall.

Interview Questions

• They asked mostly behavioral questions. One question was to describe a situation where I showed initiative that led to improvement in a process, of which I was able to supply three. I was asked about how well I handled overbearing/difficult to get along with personnel. I was asked about my experience with simulation software and if I had any experience writing technical reports. The only quasi technical question, related to the job description, was whether I had any experience with corrosion transport/deposition in my line of work.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion (Albany, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

two interviews in one day. didn't get to interview the facility. the questions were behavioral questions i.e. "have you ever been in a situation..." the facility up in Albany remind me of a prison. they take your cell phone when you enter the building. the employees can not bring their cellphones to work and they are allowed limited internet access. i wasn't a fan of the environment. I was not allowed to be by myself in a room. even if i had to use the bathroom somebody had to wait outside for me.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Mifflin, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion (West Mifflin, PA).

Interview

Very chill. They mainly look at your college GPA. The employee demographics are very bipolar, heavy on the top age spectrum and heavy on the young age spectrum. Because so many people are going to retire soon, the company is actively trying to hire as many young people as possible. However, they don't provide very good pay.

Interview Questions

• Whether I would be able to pass a comprehensive background security check.   1 Answer

Associate/Intermediate Engineer/Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion (Idaho Falls, ID) in April 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview was a cold call no email or notification. Then followup call was given about in person interview via a cold call as well. Only email received was 2 days before the interview with the pile of paperwork that needed to be filled out by the interview time which took about 8 hours by the time you get the appropriate background information

Interview Questions

• Willingness to travel to the site for the job   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

4 interviews on one day. Each 1-on-1. Finger printed. I was told I would hear back in 2 weeks. It's been longer than 4 and no information. They continuously talk about honestly but don't follow that themselves.

Interview Questions

• Typical Electrical Engineering questions. Ability to do what was on the job description.   Answer Question

Senior Engineering Technologist Interview

Interview

Two managers will interview and both need to give a recommendation. Its really a seasonal and random thing depending on the government funding situation. They are very biased to people who are Engineers. They don't care if you took the FE or PE test, just that you are an Engineer.

Interview Questions

• "I hate my job"... Its a statement the main manager of the highest paid engineers will just say and then he will wait and see what your response is. He is looking to see if you like a challenge or will get discouraged easily.   2 Answers

Negotiation

Wasn't really one. I've heard that there is maybe a 15% pay negotiation but unless they are desperate for you... what your offered is what they will give.

Intermediate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion.

Interview

I applied for the position online and received a voicemail from them about two weeks later. I returned their call at 3:30, 20 minutes after receiving the voicemail was told that they were shutting down for the day and would schedule an interview with me later. We scheduled a phone screen but after they were 10 minutes late I called them and we did the interview. The phone screen consisted of the manager and two senior engineers. I then did an interview in person. I was taken to the facility by one of the staff engineers. I had to go through several security procedures to even be allowed onsite and I was then taken to a small room and told not to leave unless I had an escort. One at a time I interviewed with three managers with the average length of the interview 30 to 45 minutes. After the interview I was taken to lunch at the cafeteria by the group manager and a senior engineer. After lunch two senior engineers interviewed me in the cafeteria. I didn't hear anything from the company for about a month. The only reason I knew I was being considered is that several of my references were contacted. After that process I was again interviewed by the manager to ask about some of my work history. Two weeks later I was asked to complete a background check. From my first phone screen until I got an offer was 4 months.

Interview Questions

• Several of the questions consisted of explaining technical requirements to someone who had no understanding of the answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They will make an offer and that is it. My advice is to pursue other employment after your interview. In the past they have increased their offer if you are making more than you were when you did your initial interview.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion (Charleston, SC) in April 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume through my college's recruiting website and received an email a few days later requesting a phone interview. The interview had a couple of straightforward screening questions. At the end of the phone interview, I was asked to come in for an in person interview, which consisted of two half hour interviews with managers. The questions were typical behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult decision you have ever had to make?   Answer Question

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niskayuna, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion (Niskayuna, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. All behavioral questions. Name a time when something happened, what did you do, and what was the result. Interviewers are more interested if they can work with you, i.e. your personality and attitude rather than technical skill for entry level positions. You may interview with multiple managers. I interviewed with two but I have met people who have interviewed with as many as four.

Interview Questions

• Name a question that we wished we asked you, and how would you answer?   Answer Question