Beckman Coulter

3.2

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Beckman Coulter in November 2013.

Initial communication was excellent. They flew me out of state for the interview and spent about 6 hours having me meet with 4 different people. They were excellent hosts and very professional.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to commit 10 years to this company?   View Answer

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Beckman Coulter.

Straightforward application process - I submitted an online application via Kenexa, and was contacted about a week later by a Kenexa (NOT Beckman Coulter) recruiter based in New Jersey. Had two phone conversations with this person, detailing my past experience, what I was looking for in a new position, etc. Throughout, said recruiter was brusque, often cutting me off as I was trying to answer a question or attempting to poke holes in every single thing I said. This could have been an "ambush" tactic to see how someone handles rude people, which would be pretty bizarre that early on in the interview process.

During the second phone call when the issue of salary was brought up. Having come from a boutique law firm in another city where I was paid significantly below market rate (the main factor in my decision to leave), I did my research to determine what would be a fair salary for the position in question. After indicating my expectations and explaining the rationale (significant cost of living increase, etc.), the recruiter scoffed and told me there was no way "they" were going to consider going "that high" based on what I had previously been making, despite the fact that I had aimed low in the range I believed a position like this in the greater Los Angeles market would pay. I was quoted a range, based entirely on my previous salary, that was not enough to live on in the Los Angeles area. The conversation went downhill from there, the recruiter apparently having branded me a candidate with lofty salary expectations.

Still being very interested in Beckman Coulter and the position, the next day, I placed a follow-up call to the recruiter in an attempt to convey to her that I would still be very interested in proceeding with the interview process and that I was willing to be a bit more flexible about the salary, to a point. Somehow, this recruiter took the exact opposite meaning of what I was trying to tell her, and said she had no intention of continuing my candidacy because she was "not going to waste [her] time and theirs by interviewing me if I wasn't going to accept a much lower salary." Pretty much exactly what I had JUST told her I was willing to do because I was that interested in the company. At that point, I cut my losses.

I am not by means a difficult person, but recognize that I should have seen certain red flags in this interview process and said as little a possible without seeming standoffish. That being said, my dealings with this Kenexa recruiter have been the most appalling I've ever encountered in my job search. I'd advise companies like Beckman Coulter to seriously reconsider who they are letting represent them if they want to recruit new talent. Candidates truly interested in the company and what they are doing can be seriously turned off early on by rude outside recruiters.

Interview Questions
    • Previous or current salary, and what are your expectations going forth.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Beckman Coulter in January 2013.

Had a volley of phone calls with an outside recruiter who found my resume online and I finally landed an interview.

I came to the place and the receptionists were really nice. I was taken in by the interviewer and she was really nice and friendly about taking me on a little tour throughout the whole facility. She showed me the equipment I would be testing and introduced me to a few of the people I would be working with.

Finally after the tour I was taken into a conference room where I was interviewed by two people. They had a list of questions and they asked me each question one by one. Very basic interview questions nothing too difficult. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming.

Interview Questions
    • They were very interested in knowing if I could solve problems and troubleshoot and how I would react if anything like this happened.   View Answer

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Beckman Coulter in October 2012.

The process was pretty straightforward. They asked me typical questions such as my work experience, skills and went a little more beyond what was listed in my resume. They asked me my interaction in the health field with other doctors, nurses and patients. Nothing they asked me was out of the norm.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult challenge that you had to face in your previous job?   Answer Question

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Beckman Coulter in September 2011.

Apply on line, phone call screening interview, then 1:1 with HR followed by 1:1 with hiring manager.

Incentive Compensation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Beckman Coulter in August 2010.

Originally I was called in to the company's main headquarters to interview with two supervisors in the department of compensation. At the interview there were pleasant and not very intensive or difficult questions. The interviewees were professional and explained well the position and the responsibilities expected. Later I had second behavioral interview with HR that was not difficult either. Finally there was a third interview with the VP, but the job offer went to another candidate. Overall, the process took nearly two months.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Beckman Coulter in April 2010.

HR Outsources all aspects of the interview process. Must go through 7 levels of 1:1 interviews with manager and VPs prior to offer. Drug test and background checks are done by outside companies. HR simply pushes the paper work. Onboarding is done poorly because there is no dedicated HR personnel for the job. Hiring occurred late because HR did not inform of all needed paper work to finish process.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Beckman Coulter in February 2010.

Several Phone interview. One on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    They matched what I was asking.

Account Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Beckman Coulter in November 2009.

It was a one on one interview. The man and i sat down in a room alone and talked about my resume and i expanded on the experiences. we spent a great deal of time talking about my performance at my current job and what i thought the challenges of moving from one career into another. he asked lots of other questions i didnt have answers for. like, about high school.

Interview Questions
    • did i help pay for any of the expense of my private high school.   Answer Question

Senior Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Beckman Coulter in February 2009.

Submitted application online, got a call within a week. Second interview and job offer the following week. While the company was easy to work with, they seemed to outsource the recruiting. The initial phone screener asked me questions that had absolutely no relevance to the level of work. The background check was a nightmare - all of my references complained about having to call back and call back just to verify my past employment. I had very high level references - in the future, I wouldn't use VPs and company presidents for this. You just need to remind yourself that if you "fit" with the people who interviewer, don't get dissuaded by recruiters or the recruiting process.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected - it was just a good conversation about my experience.   Answer Question
    They offered to basically match my current salary - which was higher than what they budgeted for the role.