Beckman Coulter

Updated Nov 18, 2014

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Development Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chaska, MN

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Beckman Coulter in March 2014.

Third party recruiting firm contracted by Beckman Coulter called. Very polite inquiry about experiences and immune assays.

Engineering Innovation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chaska, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Beckman Coulter in November 2013.

I was recruited on campus by a local recruiter in Miami, FL. I then had a 45 minute phone interview with a Senior Staff Engineer. That interview was both behavioral with a little bit of technical added to it. I was then selected to the final interview process where i was flown up to Chaska, MN. There were 17 candidates and they were selecting 7.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really too difficult, but i was made to write code on paper that should compile.   Answer Question

Staff Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Beckman Coulter in April 2011.

I was contacted by one of their recruiter. He took the phone interview, satisfied and forwarded to the hiring manager. It took long time for the hiring manager to contact me. Finally hiring manager interviewed me. During the interview he said no matter I am hired or not, he will let me know the result. But this never happened.

Innovation Fellowship Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chaska, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Beckman Coulter in January 2011.

I applied to this position through my university's engineering job postings. I received an email within a few weeks from HR. The HR representative screened me for basics such as work eligibility and date of graduation. I was also asked why I believe I am fit for this position.

Then I had a 45 minute technical phone screen that tested my knowledge of whatever languages I claimed to know. These questions consisted of basic container complexity questions (compare operations on an array versus operations on a list) to some problem solving questions (how do you know if a binary number is a power of 2 and how would you write a program to solve it). I was only asked questions relevant to what I claimed I knew beyond the basic algorithms material so it seemed like they wanted to know if I was a competent person who paid attention more so than if I was a human dictionary. It is important to understand complexity of elementary containers (lists, arrays, hash tables, binary trees), definitions of object oriented terminology (encapsulation, polymorphism, etc), and have a good understanding of most of the features in C++ and/or Java. If you have taken operating systems or database courses, that is a bonus.

Response was quick as I was contacted by the HR representative the next day for an on site interview. They were very accommodating; I was offered a rental car and a hotel room. The interview date was also very flexible. I had 6 interviews that lasted 45 minutes each. 4 of the 6 were either behavioral or asking about my projects. Occasionally they would slip in a technical question like what is polymorphism or what is multiple inheritance. During the two technical interviews was given the problem of writing a function to assist in solving a sudoku as well as writing a program that would solve the sudoku as well. This interview was intended to be a 2 on 1 interview but the other interviewer was not available. The other technical interview was another 2 on 1 where I was presented with a problem regarding writing a program to determine how many ways there are to make change for a given amount of money. The two technical interviews were intended for you to demonstrate how you think and how you might utilize group members to help you solve problems.

I was contacted about 2 weeks later notifying me that they had selected another candidate.

Interview Questions
    • How would you approach writing a program to solve a sliding tile puzzle?   Answer Question
    • Write a function that takes a given amount of money as input and returns the number of ways to make that amount of money in coins.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chaska, MN

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Beckman Coulter in August 2010.

I had three phone interviews after which they flew me out for an on site round of interviews. The day started at 8 am and had 5 45 min interviews. Then I had lunch with another group of engineers. I left at around 1:15pm. There was no white board coding, but basic C++ questions and probing into things I had done in the past. Basic questions like "What id the difference between a struct and a class?", "What does static do?", "In C# what is the difference between an interface and a class?", and then more probing questions like: "Exactly how did you create a COM server?", "How did your threads communicate?", "What did the threads do?", "What happened when the thread completed?" "How would you write a program to solve this problem?", "Tell me a good bug story" ... All total I spent about 9 hours talking with them on the phone and in person. In the end I was told they selected another candidate. They had a pile of applications so I guess in the end only one can be chosen.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me a good bug story", "How would you write a program to solve...."   Answer Question

Senior Production Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chaska, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Beckman Coulter in September 2009.

It was an internal job posting so I new all of the interviewers. I was initially discouraged to apply for the job but did it anyway and got the job because of previous projects I had worked on in my current job at the company.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you didn't get along with someone ranked above you.   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Beckman Coulter in February 2009.

I started working with a recruiting company. Initially I was selected from a group of 4 individuals shortlisted after screening. Interview was technical and this was followed by a background check. Compnay made an offer. Chose not to accept based on other competing offers at that point. Overall a good company with oportunities for growth.

Interview Questions
    • What do you like to see/ want in a future job.   View Answer