Become.com

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

SEO Marketing Interview

SEO Marketing

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Become.com in February 2012.

Interview Details – What are the main points you would cover in a blog post showcasing our retailer's elliptical?
Have you had any experience writing for an online audience previously?

2 interviews, one after the other. The first with two SEO team leads, the second with two SEO analysts.

Interview Question – What are some ways you organize tasks, if given a week's worth of work to be completed by the end of the week?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Become.com in August 2010.

Interview Details – It took me 2 hours, 3 people interviewed me, not difficult

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Become.com in September 2011.

Interview Details – I would describe the interview process at Become.com as quite rigorous.
I was recruited to join the company, but had to go through multiple rounds of screening, both from an HR perspective and a technical perspective.
There is a lot of value placed on achieving results and understanding my technical expertise.
I actually had to program and had "homework" to both show my abilities and I think also show that I was serious about the position.

Interview Question – I had to solve a specific technical programming problem as part of the process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straight forward. Not a lot of back and forth.
Become was flexible on my title, and offered a reasonable cash/bonus and stock options.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Become.com in May 2012.

Interview Details – Went through phone interview. Then on-site one, it is not a good interview.

1. Need to know some specified SQL. They assume you shall know SQL out of your mind immediately.
2. The Java question requirement is not very clear.

Overall, it is a very good learning experience as an interviewer.
As to this company, it might not be the good one to join.

Interview Question – 1. using SQL to find the redundant value in the table   Answer Question

SEO Manager Interview

SEO Manager
Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Become.com in October 2011.

Interview Details – First interview consisted of a phone interview, basic questions. They asked "How do you think Become.com makes money", "What kind of magazines do you read?", "What do you think of the Google Panda update", etc.

My in-person interview was at 9am. The place was dead, and at 9:15 I had to flag someone down and ask them to please find an HR person for me. Interview consisted of meeting three members of the marketing team, and a programmer. Basic online marketing questions, nothing in particular really stood out. I was a bit of lack of enthusiasm in the team. I got the feeling everyone sticks to their particular role and was a bit bored.

I was asked to come back for another in-person interview. This lasted about half the day. I talked with more members of the marketing team, some programmers, and then some executives. Kind of the same feeling about the place as before, it's a bit boring.

I was not offered the job, but I don't think it was a good fit for me anyways, and I wasn't really disappointed. Their business strategy isn't a structure I believe has much longevity. They were hurt a lot by the Panda update, because what little content they do have is all duplicate content. But any suggestions I had about helping them update some of their site was pushed down as "not scalable" They have literately millions of web pages and want them all to be indexed. If you're interested in working there, come up with a strategy for this issue, that allows them to cut a lot of corners in SEO. I got the feeling(although not 100% sure) they did a lot of black-hat SEO.

Interview Questions

• How do you get a million+ pages all with duplicate content indexed in Google without getting dinged?   Answer Question
  • How would you help us rank higher in Google in a scalable way?   Answer Question

SEO Intern Interview

SEO Intern
Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Become.com in August 2011.

Interview Details – Meeting with 2 Analysts and 2 Lead Analysts. Discussed background briefly. Office looked like a typical SV office, dark and rows of cubicles with obviously little energy in the air. It made me want to fall asleep during the interview. Relaxed work culture, I hate when I dress up nicer than the people interviewing me.

Interview Question – What do you know about Become.com?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

SEO Intern Interview

SEO Intern
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Become.com in June 2010.

Interview Details – Series of two interviews held with five members of the SEO team. Was asked questions about excel proficiency and familiarity with SEO.

Interview Question – What types of formulas are you familiar with on Excel.   Answer Question

Ops Engineer Interview

Ops Engineer

Interviewed at Become.com

Interview Details – Telephone was very easy, and take home project was easy as well. On-site interviews are tough and questions are rather vague and you would have to elaborate a lot.

Interview Question – Some genetic algorithms, probability   Answer Question

Optimization Analyst Interview

Optimization Analyst

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Become.com in November 2010.

Interview Details – Application was sent online, and after about two weeks the company would contact to schedule an interview. Next is a phone interview with one of the recruiters. The recruiter called on time, and the questions were very straight forward, all about probability and statistics.

Interview Question – basic probability questions   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Become.com? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Become.com interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Become.com employees and interview candidates.