Become.com Interview Questions

Updated Aug 10, 2015

2.7

SEO Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Become.com.

Interview

Friendly interviewers, good questions. This was a very entry-level job, so we didn't have to come in with thorough SEO knowledge. They trained on the job. They were timely, the office was nice, and they welcomed questions. All in all, I got a very positive sense of the team and looked forward to working with them.

Interview Questions

• How would you write a blog post about [x] product? Being an SEO intern involved writing a lot of content, including blog posts.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Become.com (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

Went through phone interview. Then on-site one, it is not a good interview. 1. Need to know some specified SQL. They assume you shall know SQL out of your mind immediately. 2. The Java question requirement is not very clear. Overall, it is a very good learning experience as an interviewer. As to this company, it might not be the good one to join.

SEO Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Become.com in February 2012.

Interview

What are the main points you would cover in a blog post showcasing our retailer's elliptical? Have you had any experience writing for an online audience previously? 2 interviews, one after the other. The first with two SEO team leads, the second with two SEO analysts.

Interview Questions

• What are some ways you organize tasks, if given a week's worth of work to be completed by the end of the week?   Answer Question

SEO Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Become.com (Sunnyvale, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

First interview consisted of a phone interview, basic questions. They asked "How do you think Become.com makes money", "What kind of magazines do you read?", "What do you think of the Google Panda update", etc. My in-person interview was at 9am. The place was dead, and at 9:15 I had to flag someone down and ask them to please find an HR person for me. Interview consisted of meeting three members of the marketing team, and a programmer. Basic online marketing questions, nothing in particular really stood out. I was a bit of lack of enthusiasm in the team. I got the feeling everyone sticks to their particular role and was a bit bored. I was asked to come back for another in-person interview. This lasted about half the day. I talked with more members of the marketing team, some programmers, and then some executives. Kind of the same feeling about the place as before, it's a bit boring. I was not offered the job, but I don't think it was a good fit for me anyways, and I wasn't really disappointed. Their business strategy isn't a structure I believe has much longevity. They were hurt a lot by the Panda update, because what little content they do have is all duplicate content. But any suggestions I had about helping them update some of their site was pushed down as "not scalable" They have literately millions of web pages and want them all to be indexed. If you're interested in working there, come up with a strategy for this issue, that allows them to cut a lot of corners in SEO. I got the feeling(although not 100% sure) they did a lot of black-hat SEO.

Interview Questions

• How do you get a million+ pages all with duplicate content indexed in Google without getting dinged?   Answer Question
    • How would you help us rank higher in Google in a scalable way?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Become.com (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

I would describe the interview process at Become.com as quite rigorous. I was recruited to join the company, but had to go through multiple rounds of screening, both from an HR perspective and a technical perspective. There is a lot of value placed on achieving results and understanding my technical expertise. I actually had to program and had "homework" to both show my abilities and I think also show that I was serious about the position.

Interview Questions

• I had to solve a specific technical programming problem as part of the process.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very straight forward. Not a lot of back and forth. Become was flexible on my title, and offered a reasonable cash/bonus and stock options.

SEO Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Become.com (Sunnyvale, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Meeting with 2 Analysts and 2 Lead Analysts. Discussed background briefly. Office looked like a typical SV office, dark and rows of cubicles with obviously little energy in the air. It made me want to fall asleep during the interview. Relaxed work culture, I hate when I dress up nicer than the people interviewing me.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Become.com?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Become.com (Sunnyvale, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

It took me 2 hours, 3 people interviewed me, not difficult

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

SEO Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Become.com (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

Series of two interviews held with five members of the SEO team. Was asked questions about excel proficiency and familiarity with SEO.

Interview Questions

• What types of formulas are you familiar with on Excel.   Answer Question

Ops Engineer Interview

Interview

Telephone was very easy, and take home project was easy as well. On-site interviews are tough and questions are rather vague and you would have to elaborate a lot.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Become.com in November 2010.

Interview

Application was sent online, and after about two weeks the company would contact to schedule an interview. Next is a phone interview with one of the recruiters. The recruiter called on time, and the questions were very straight forward, all about probability and statistics.