Bed Bath & Beyond Department Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2015

2.3

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Interview

First with HR then with a District Manager. HR will give you the company low down and make it sound great. District Managers are very dry and serious.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online on Indeed and few weeks later I was contacted by HR District Manager. Went in for a face to face and not knowing I was being considered for Department Manager as I felt I did apply for Assistant Store Manager position. But they do sugar coat things and then tell you that every Manager starts as a Dept Manager after 12 weeks of training you get store keys and can work your way up the ladder within few years become an Assistant Store Manager and beyond. Over all first interview went great and about a week later I was asked to meet with District Manager. That interview I felt I was repeating myself as most questions were in the same context as the first interview. But the first interview lasted over an hour vs the 2nd interview at most 25 to 30 minutes. Overall experience was OK as it's been about over 2 weeks after the 2nd interview and a total of about a month since the first interview and still waiting on reply back on the job status as I have Emailed the DM several times already and just about to give up and move on to other interviews I have lined up for potential job opportunities. I mean I’m still interested but it shouldn’t take this long. I have worked in big box retail in Store Management roles and usually takes no more then 5 to 11 days for me to get an offer or a thank you but sorry. Still haven’t receive either of those as of yet and it’s been about a month. Would be nice out of courtesy for the DM to reply to one of many Emails let me know if I’m still being considered then leave me hanging as I feel I am. What is it with companies now day’s no one wants to reply back. I will be honest as a Manager I always reply back to my interviewers regardless if they get the job or not.

Interview Questions

• Just basic interview questions. One thing they do ask you is if you have any other job interviews lined up or have any interest in other companies. I was asked twice in each interview. It shouldn't be there business to ask something like that as it shouldn't be a deal breaker if you say yes because most people are going to more then one job interview and the world doesn't revolve around BBB. But say what you want I just said I'm only focused with BBB as of now. Over all just focus on telling them examples of situations that happened and how did you handle it. Also talk about merchandising and your leadership skills is what they want to know as well.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with an HR manager and then the District Manager. I was immediately turned off with the fact that I was interviewing for a "management" position and neither one of them had even read my resume, cover letter or application prior to the interview. I had applied on-line and then contacted by a recruiter to set up an interview. The location I had applied for (listed in the job posting and discussed with the recruiter) was not even open and I was told the location I would be interviewing for was in a completely different city. A brief overview of the job and what it's requirements were not even explained until I asked?? This interview was a complete waste of time. Just an Fyi...a Dept. Manager doesn't just manage one Dept. and they manage no employees. If you really want a job there, make sure you emphasize repeatedly that you LOVE LOVE LOVE merchandising. That's what they want to hear.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you didn't follow company guidelines?   2 Answers

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Interview

First interview was with the HR manager for the district. Second interview was with the District manager. Conversations center on your ability to think on your feet, and guest service. They are a very decentralized company, managers are expected to make decisions on there own using there experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you know about the company? Important to do your research, conveys your passion, and commitment.   1 Answer

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Interview

Very basic, applied online received an email from the HR manager. Then spent a few days tracking her down. I had a phone interview then met with the DM then the RM. Was told they would make a decision the same day. I was offered the job 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I told them the salary I wanted and they agreed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

I filled out an application online and was called two weeks later by the regional HR manager. She conducted the phone interview which roughly took about an hour. She asked me about my past work experience and explained a little about the culture of BB&B and set up for me to come in and meet her the following Monday. Arrived to the interview, filled out a paper interview and waited for HR. She was very pleasant and the interview was the typical interview, no hard questions. She asked me to come back the following day for a second interview with the District Manager for another interview. I interviewed with the DM and at the end of the interview he asked me what I was asking for in salary, I told him my minimum and he smiled and said "we will make our decision and call you by Friday". They called two weeks later and gave me an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I gave my minimum and they offered me 3 thousand more

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Interview

This was a very slow and lengthy process. There were three different interviews. It took a long time between each one and even just to get the first initial one.

Interview Questions

• Where do you think you would fit in best in this store?   Answer Question

The salary/hour average is at 47 instead of 40 It's very physically demanding Long shifts, extremely early and very very late

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Interview

There are two interviews minimum. One with the human resource manager and one with the district manager. The human resource manager more looked to see if you could succeed within the culture and assesses your customer service skills. The district manager focuses on assessing your management skills and your ability to read and understand reports.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Interview

The only disappointing thing about the interview process here was the length of time and number of interviews. I went in 4 different interviews with 4 different people over the course of 6 weeks before getting a job offer. Very long and drawn out.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions...my last interview was only 15 minutes long which was confusing to me.   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Interview

Interview with recruiter, interview with district manager.