Bed Bath & Beyond

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Department Manager

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Interview Details – There are two interviews minimum. One with the human resource manager and one with the district manager. The human resource manager more looked to see if you could succeed within the culture and assesses your customer service skills. The district manager focuses on assessing your management skills and your ability to read and understand reports.

Interview Question – There isn't a difficult question very basic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Department Manager

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Interview Details – The only disappointing thing about the interview process here was the length of time and number of interviews. I went in 4 different interviews with 4 different people over the course of 6 weeks before getting a job offer. Very long and drawn out.

Interview Question – Typical interview questions...my last interview was only 15 minutes long which was confusing to me.   Answer Question

Department Manager

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Interview Details – You will typically go through 3 interviews. One, on the phone with the HR Lead; one with a Store Manager; and one with the District Manager. They will mostly ask you your past experiences in the work force and why you made the decision to want to work with BBBY.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions. Same "by the book" new hire interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They are pretty stern on the offer given out.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond

Interview Details – Interview with recruiter, interview with district manager.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in September 2012.

Interview Details – You are basically called in for an interview, if you know someone in the company the interview is brief and you're basically hired without no real career questions asked.

Interview Question – You are asked about marital status, religion and sexual preference.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had a salary minimum and they complied based on my career experience.

Louisville, KY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in February 2013.

Interview Details – First Interview was with the regional human resources manager at one of the local stores. The second interview was with the District Manager at his home store. They are well dressed. Good posture. Well spoken men. The stores are run differently. They have a decentralized managerment style. Each time you change location you feel like you need retrained for the new operations of this store. no two stores are alike and no two regions or areas are alike. That is really the most difficult thing about working there.

Interview Question – No question was difficult or out of the norm. They are a very customer service concerned company and they look for that passion in people. You have to be able to merchandise without planograms. The District Manager is expecting you to be aware of your best sellers and address them accordingly. Regional Manager bascially tries to talk you out of the position I think to weed out weak links.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no open negotiation. I had a set price I could not be under so I think they debated if they could start me there and they did. Every Manager starts as a department manager to enter the training. I received another 4000 after they gave me keys

Department Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Interview Details – The interview process happened fairly quickly as the push was on to fill a class spot in Atlanta before the holidays.
I was contacted by HR shortly after submitting my application
I was given an interview with the DM which I had to drive 45 minutes
I then filled out a paper application before speaking with the DM
Application was standard. Availability & Previous experience why do you want to work here etc
Interview lasted 1.5 hrs and was very candid and relaxed
2nd interview was in Atlanta (4hrs drive) with Senior DM
Senior DM was bad cop to DM good cop so you have to be prepared to shift gears
Be honest, confident yet respectful. Do not try and guess or talk above experience these people are very intelligent & intuitive.
Have questions ready for both interviews
They will check references and call them

Interview Question – If I gave you 4 feet of endcap space and some coasters what would be your approach to merchandising them so that they sell? Explain your process.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Senior DM: "So how much are we going to pay you"
Answer: I think Im worth "X"
SDM: I think we can manage that

Department Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in August 2013.

Interview Details – I knew a CST, she forwarded my resume to District HR. Interview with District HR on phone. Followed by Face-to-Face with District HR and District Manager.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There initial offer was 50% more than my current salary with 3 weeks vacation and unlimited sick days (within reason). No negotiation necessary.

Fresno, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in August 2013.

Interview Details – Typical interview with the HR person. The questions were very pedestrian and did not invite for any real reflection from me.Job specifics such as number of hours, pay and benefits were only discussed after I broached the subject.

Interview Question – What would distinguish me from the other applicants? This question seldom allows for the interviewed person to showcase specific talents as it is too generic.   View Answer

Utica, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called for an interview. First I was given an application to fill out. Then I interviewed with the HR manager.

The interviewer displayed very little eye contact or interest from the beginning. A majority of the time he was describing the details of the job. (customer service/ ordering/ inventory/ climbing ladders)
I was not asked many questions. Most were extremely basic for a management position. Are you ok climbing ladders? do you have a problem with ordering items daily?

One question was on my knowledge of the company which I had researched before the interview. I was also asked to describe my experience. There were zero personality questions which I found strange having 10 years experience personally doing interviews and hiring.
I left the interview feeling like BBB was a terribly unhappy place to work. 2 weeks later I had a letter in the mail stating that they were not interested.

Interview Question – there were no difficult questions   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bed Bath & Beyond

Worked for Bed Bath & Beyond? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bed Bath & Beyond Department Manager interview questions and advice. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bed Bath & Beyond employees and interview candidates.