Bed Bath & Beyond Department Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014

2.2

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Department Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in September 2011.

Typical Q&A regarding background and aspirations. Miss lead the possibility of advancement which entail a great deal of office politics and favoritism. The Q&A is just a formaluity to obtain warm bodies in the revolving door of personal.

Interview Questions
  • What is your 5 year goal? But never explain how that goal is achieved.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond

Department Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

This was a very slow and lengthy process. There were three different interviews. It took a long time between each one and even just to get the first initial one.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you think you would fit in best in this store?   Answer Question

The salary/hour average is at 47 instead of 40
    It's very physically demanding
    Long shifts, extremely early and very very late

Department Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

There are two interviews minimum. One with the human resource manager and one with the district manager. The human resource manager more looked to see if you could succeed within the culture and assesses your customer service skills. The district manager focuses on assessing your management skills and your ability to read and understand reports.

No negotiation

Department Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

The only disappointing thing about the interview process here was the length of time and number of interviews. I went in 4 different interviews with 4 different people over the course of 6 weeks before getting a job offer. Very long and drawn out.

Interview Questions
    • Typical interview questions...my last interview was only 15 minutes long which was confusing to me.   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

You will typically go through 3 interviews. One, on the phone with the HR Lead; one with a Store Manager; and one with the District Manager. They will mostly ask you your past experiences in the work force and why you made the decision to want to work with BBBY.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. Same "by the book" new hire interview questions.   Answer Question
    They are pretty stern on the offer given out.

Department Manager Interview

Interview with recruiter, interview with district manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in September 2012.

You are basically called in for an interview, if you know someone in the company the interview is brief and you're basically hired without no real career questions asked.

Interview Questions
    • You are asked about marital status, religion and sexual preference.   Answer Question
    I had a salary minimum and they complied based on my career experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in February 2013.

First Interview was with the regional human resources manager at one of the local stores. The second interview was with the District Manager at his home store. They are well dressed. Good posture. Well spoken men. The stores are run differently. They have a decentralized managerment style. Each time you change location you feel like you need retrained for the new operations of this store. no two stores are alike and no two regions or areas are alike. That is really the most difficult thing about working there.

Interview Questions
    • No question was difficult or out of the norm. They are a very customer service concerned company and they look for that passion in people. You have to be able to merchandise without planograms. The District Manager is expecting you to be aware of your best sellers and address them accordingly. Regional Manager bascially tries to talk you out of the position I think to weed out weak links.   Answer Question
    There was no open negotiation. I had a set price I could not be under so I think they debated if they could start me there and they did. Every Manager starts as a department manager to enter the training. I received another 4000 after they gave me keys

Department Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

The interview process happened fairly quickly as the push was on to fill a class spot in Atlanta before the holidays.
    I was contacted by HR shortly after submitting my application
    I was given an interview with the DM which I had to drive 45 minutes
    I then filled out a paper application before speaking with the DM
    Application was standard. Availability & Previous experience why do you want to work here etc
    Interview lasted 1.5 hrs and was very candid and relaxed
    2nd interview was in Atlanta (4hrs drive) with Senior DM
    Senior DM was bad cop to DM good cop so you have to be prepared to shift gears
    Be honest, confident yet respectful. Do not try and guess or talk above experience these people are very intelligent & intuitive.
    Have questions ready for both interviews
    They will check references and call them

Interview Questions
    • If I gave you 4 feet of endcap space and some coasters what would be your approach to merchandising them so that they sell? Explain your process.   View Answer
    Senior DM: "So how much are we going to pay you"
    Answer: I think Im worth "X"
    SDM: I think we can manage that

Department Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in August 2013.

I knew a CST, she forwarded my resume to District HR. Interview with District HR on phone. Followed by Face-to-Face with District HR and District Manager.

Interview Questions
    There initial offer was 50% more than my current salary with 3 weeks vacation and unlimited sick days (within reason). No negotiation necessary.

Worked for Bed Bath & Beyond? Contribute to the Community!