Bed Bath & Beyond Department Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014

2.2

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Department Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

This was a very slow and lengthy process. There were three different interviews. It took a long time between each one and even just to get the first initial one.

Interview Questions
  • Where do you think you would fit in best in this store?   Answer Question

The salary/hour average is at 47 instead of 40
It's very physically demanding
Long shifts, extremely early and very very late

Other Interview Reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond

Department Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

There are two interviews minimum. One with the human resource manager and one with the district manager. The human resource manager more looked to see if you could succeed within the culture and assesses your customer service skills. The district manager focuses on assessing your management skills and your ability to read and understand reports.

No negotiation

Department Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

The only disappointing thing about the interview process here was the length of time and number of interviews. I went in 4 different interviews with 4 different people over the course of 6 weeks before getting a job offer. Very long and drawn out.

Interview Questions
    • Typical interview questions...my last interview was only 15 minutes long which was confusing to me.   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

You will typically go through 3 interviews. One, on the phone with the HR Lead; one with a Store Manager; and one with the District Manager. They will mostly ask you your past experiences in the work force and why you made the decision to want to work with BBBY.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. Same "by the book" new hire interview questions.   Answer Question
    They are pretty stern on the offer given out.

Department Manager Interview

Interview with recruiter, interview with district manager.

Department Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

The interview process happened fairly quickly as the push was on to fill a class spot in Atlanta before the holidays.
    I was contacted by HR shortly after submitting my application
    I was given an interview with the DM which I had to drive 45 minutes
    I then filled out a paper application before speaking with the DM
    Application was standard. Availability & Previous experience why do you want to work here etc
    Interview lasted 1.5 hrs and was very candid and relaxed
    2nd interview was in Atlanta (4hrs drive) with Senior DM
    Senior DM was bad cop to DM good cop so you have to be prepared to shift gears
    Be honest, confident yet respectful. Do not try and guess or talk above experience these people are very intelligent & intuitive.
    Have questions ready for both interviews
    They will check references and call them

Interview Questions
    • If I gave you 4 feet of endcap space and some coasters what would be your approach to merchandising them so that they sell? Explain your process.   View Answer
    Senior DM: "So how much are we going to pay you"
    Answer: I think Im worth "X"
    SDM: I think we can manage that

Department Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in August 2013.

I knew a CST, she forwarded my resume to District HR. Interview with District HR on phone. Followed by Face-to-Face with District HR and District Manager.

Interview Questions
    There initial offer was 50% more than my current salary with 3 weeks vacation and unlimited sick days (within reason). No negotiation necessary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fresno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in August 2013.

Typical interview with the HR person. The questions were very pedestrian and did not invite for any real reflection from me.Job specifics such as number of hours, pay and benefits were only discussed after I broached the subject.

Interview Questions
    • What would distinguish me from the other applicants? This question seldom allows for the interviewed person to showcase specific talents as it is too generic.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Utica, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Utica, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in May 2013.

Applied online and was called for an interview. First I was given an application to fill out. Then I interviewed with the HR manager.

The interviewer displayed very little eye contact or interest from the beginning. A majority of the time he was describing the details of the job. (customer service/ ordering/ inventory/ climbing ladders)
    I was not asked many questions. Most were extremely basic for a management position. Are you ok climbing ladders? do you have a problem with ordering items daily?

One question was on my knowledge of the company which I had researched before the interview. I was also asked to describe my experience. There were zero personality questions which I found strange having 10 years experience personally doing interviews and hiring.
    I left the interview feeling like BBB was a terribly unhappy place to work. 2 weeks later I had a letter in the mail stating that they were not interested.

Department Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Applied on company website and was contacted by District HR to attend a job fair. At fair filled out application and listened to a 15-20 minute introduction to the company and job requirements. Then was interviewed by two store managers.

Interview Questions

Worked for Bed Bath & Beyond? Contribute to the Community!