Bed Bath & Beyond

2.1

Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Webster, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Webster, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

So after going into the store and filling out a paper application (I also included my own resume attached) I waited a few days to see if they'd reach out. Based on my interactions with the employees and the stack of blank applications they had sitting by the entrance, it was pretty apparent that they were in need of hiring some new staff.

I called back after about a week and was told that the manager was unavailable but to call back later on to schedule an interview. I called back 2 days later and scheduled my interview for a Saturday morning. I dressed in business casual attire and was very professional throughout. Upon entering the store and indicating that I was there for an interview, I was told the manager wasn't in yet but if I was available to come back in at 2PM there was a chance she could squeeze me in for an interview.

At this point, I was annoyed because I had already canceled plans I had for the day for this first interview and now had to delay my day more for it again.

I show up at 2PM only to find out the manager never showed (or at least that's what I was told). No one even had the decency to call me on the number listed on my application to let me know that the interview would have to be rescheduled for a 2nd time. I left visibly annoyed with no intentions of rescheduling.

A few days later I get a call from what is allegedly the manager apologizing for the confusion and asking if I could come in on a Thursday ( I am a student and had to skip class) for an interview. I agree and show up at the date and time selected by the manager. I waited for about 25 minutes before I was finally taken to the back offices. My interview was conducted standing up by a copy machine and lasted about 10 minutes.

I left under the impression that while I nailed my interview and probably exceeded the expectations of what they were expecting of a young person applying for a retail position, there was absolutely no way I was getting hired.

I was correct. I never received a phone call email or any communication from the store manager or any associates again.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want this job?
      Do you have previous retail experience?

Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier/Stock Replenishment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tualatin, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tualatin, OR

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in February 2015.

The process Took 3 days. I applied on snag a job.com than received a phone call the next day to come in and fill an application. I than did a preliminary interview with the assistant store manager and received a second interview set up on the spot. Two days later I went in for an interview but it wasn't an interview, it was just describing protocol and payroll and everything. I got the job offer at the end of the interview.

Department Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

First interview was with the HR manager for the district. Second interview was with the District manager. Conversations center on your ability to think on your feet, and guest service. They are a very decentralized company, managers are expected to make decisions on there own using there experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what you know about the company? Important to do your research, conveys your passion, and commitment.   View Answer

Assistant Buyer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

So I was really excited to go on this interview with Bed Bath & Beyond. I completely dedicated a work day of 8 hours of 7 people interviewing me. After I completed the interviews, HR said they will let me know within a week. He ensured me that he will contact me regardless of the outcome and provide me feedback. After 2 weeks I had sent a follow up email, no answer. 3 more days I had called and left a message. (while I can see the actual HR recruiter active on linked in- I know he is clearly near a computer.)

Overall- I felt like they were extremely disrespectful and unprofessional. 1 star

Front End Lead Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I had to literally do 3 interviews for an eight dollar per hour starting position for the job. I should have known the position's work would far exceed what was actually compensated for based on the number of interviews I went through. It's ok as starting job but moving up in the company is sheer luck.

Interview Questions
    • My most unexpected question was what would I say to the customer who wanted to buy a horse.   View Answer
    $8.00 is the most they will start out at. I requested $7.75 but my reference was so good that they started me out at 8 no questions asked.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Union, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Union, NJ

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Very long and drawn out. Took about two months from first phone call to hear back. Then it took another two months to get an in person interview. But once they decided I was given one weeks notice of the date Both in person interviews were all day and nobody thought to offer lunch.

Interview Questions
    • Was I willing to work a regular eight hour day?   View Answer

Get everything up front and in writing. everything was great until the offer. At that point they really nickled and dimed me. No bonus structure but some stock that nobody could really explain. Relocation package was not good. Moving would have cost me money. From talking to potential peers I got the impression that they micromanage everything from work hours to lunch items.

Director Interview

It was nothing but constant rescheduling at the last minute after I had scheduled my day to accomodate them on many occasions. This went on for 4 or 5 times and then they simply weren't available when I arrived for the interview. If this is how they treat you during the interview process, it has to be a nightmare working for them. I have a nice income and whatever they offer in the stock options that no one could seem to explain seemed like a way to try and hire expensive talent for less than fair market value. Who in their right mind would relocate for this kind of nonsense. They were extremely unprofessional and disrespectful. I have a leadership role and to expect me to constantly turn my schedule upset down to accomodate someone who is "busy" or in a meeting that is running late is ridiculous. I'm in meetings too and I'm busy, but I'm a professional and I know how to manage my time. I feel for the people that work at their HQ, I have no doubt it is a dysfunctional environment.

Interview Questions
    • What questions? All they did was schedule and reschedule interviews and then when they finally confirmed the time, they stood me up.   View Answers (2)

Sales Associate Interview

Short and simple nothing too complicated general background, showed up business casual interviews and hired on the spot with a few others, no reference or background check, a week or so training on procedures and products and another week floor training

Intern Interview

Got referred by a neighbor. The process took a while because they were figuring out how many interns they could hire.I came in and interviewed with 3 different departments, about 20 minutes each. In between the hiring manager would come in and check on me.

Interview Questions
    • Basic interview questions- strengths, weaknesses, why you   Answer Question
    no negotiations

Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Filled out application. Received a call back in a day or two for interview. Met with operations manager and I was clearly over dressed. Appointment for 2nd interview for next day. Met with store manager and was offered position.

There was really no negotiation