Bed Bath & Beyond Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2015

2.1

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Interview

The interview wax easy, just situational questions. Still waiting to hear back to see if I got the job. A little annoyed that there is no follow through from the HR people.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Union, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Union, NJ).

Interview

The process was very long and drawn out. I first interviewed via phone with HR, then had multiple in-person interviews (over a couple of weeks). The people were great and I could have seen myself working with them, the facilities were nice but modest. The whole process from start to finish took nearly 3 months.

Interview Questions

• All behavioral questions, what type of work you enjoy doing, how you interact cross-functionally.   Answer Question

The final offer was not competitive. The benefits were terrible (no 401k contribution allowed for first year, major dental available after 1 year, only 6 holidays, PTO is nearly nonexistent and there is no option to work from home, no bonus and very limited stock incentives). It is unfortunate that the corporate benefits are so tied to their retail stores as they are falling significantly short in contrast to the rest of corporate America. Would have loved to join the team, but couldn't justify essentially breaking even.

Sales Associate/Bridal Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Worth, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Lake Worth, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

I walked in with a filled out application and interviewed immediately. The manager was cheerful and eager to hear what I had to say. In the same visit I had a second interview with another manager who was just as pleasant as the first. They set an appointment for the next day with the store manager. The first two interviews went well, but the third interview was rushed and lacked genuineness. The manager was 20 minutes late to the appointment and seemed very distracted but did not offer any feedback. I was waiting with other candidates so the experience was a little off-putting. I was asked generic questions off of a crumpled paper and told that if I receive a call, he wants to proceed with the process, but if I don't that's a no.

Interview Questions

• If your shift starts at 5pm, what time would you consider yourself to be late or tardy?   Answer Question
    • How would you respond if you were asked/told to do something that is outside of your job responsibilities?   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Interview

First with HR then with a District Manager. HR will give you the company low down and make it sound great. District Managers are very dry and serious.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Interview

2 Interviews, it was really chill and relaxed. It was my first time going for an interview and I did pretty well. The managers interviewed me and were really friendly. They listed requirements and asked if I could fulfill them, lifting over 40pds, working late nights, etc.

Associate Interview

Interview

I applied via a paper they had on a table in the store. When I came back to return the application, a manager was called and I was "interviewed" and offered a position on the spot. It wasn't really an interview, one of the manager just asked me questions about high school and my job experience.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Austin, TX).

Interview

I was a promotion from within candidate so my experience will probably be different from that of an outside candidate. Be prepared to do your homework and know that BBBY's customer service is a company focus. Also, have a strong knowledge and understanding of product merchandising/placement and dollaring-out concept. I highly recommend surveying the store layouts and be able to ask questions and share observations relevant to the interview questions.

Negotiation

In my case I was new to retail management and settled for a fair salary. They gave me an initial offer and countered for a few thousand more to compensate for the extra driving time and expense I would incur because of the assignment being further away from the location I worked at the time. I didn't find the process intimidating at all. If you have a lot of retail management experience then it would not be uncommon for them to offer you a base of $50,000 as long as you are promotable.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, RI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Warwick, RI) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied in person on April 9th, got set up for an interview date on the spot for the next day at 10am. Was interviewed by a supervisor and manager on same day. The interview started off with questions about my previous job then general interview questions. Got a call back on the 14th being offered a position

Interview Questions

• Why are you not working at your pervious job?   Answer Question
    • What are some things you had to do at your previous job?   Answer Question
    • If you were busy stocking a shelf and you received a walkie from a supervisor asking you to come to the office as soon as possible but a customer needed help with something what would you do?   2 Answers
    • If a couple came in looking to create a Wedding Registry, how would you start the process?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Costa Mesa, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied on a job website, received a short phone interview and then an actual interview with the HR Hiring Manager. The HR Hiring Manager seemed pleasant enough. Not many questions from her end. I learned that all outside Manager hires start as Dept. Managers. All Managers are required to work 48 hours with 45 minute lunches. Which is why the salary range seemed high on these websites. Benefits do not start for 90 days which seems out of date in these times. Schedule requirements seemed silly as well. You do not receive two days off in a row. They do not want managers to leave if there are customers needing help. Is that not why you have associates? I do not know any managers that just get up and leave in the middle of assisting people. This seems like a company that does not offer a good work life balance. Now I did not ask these questions she offered them to me to see if I was still interested. I said I was because I do understand that retail management is a time consuming role. And I do need a job. The interview lasted only 30 minutes so I was fairly sure it was not a good sign. I did not get a lot of questions based on my experience(which is extensive). She seemed nice on the phone but really seemed to be trying to scare me away in the interview. Maybe she had formed her opinion quickly. I was the first interview of the day. I emailed her a thank you a few days later to follow up but did not get a response. I find that to be very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Some behavioral questions. Mostly questions based on if I would be willing to have no life and work all the time. I can see now this would definitely be a quick burn job which seems why they always have openings.   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online on Indeed and few weeks later I was contacted by HR District Manager. Went in for a face to face and not knowing I was being considered for Department Manager as I felt I did apply for Assistant Store Manager position. But they do sugar coat things and then tell you that every Manager starts as a Dept Manager after 12 weeks of training you get store keys and can work your way up the ladder within few years become an Assistant Store Manager and beyond. Over all first interview went great and about a week later I was asked to meet with District Manager. That interview I felt I was repeating myself as most questions were in the same context as the first interview. But the first interview lasted over an hour vs the 2nd interview at most 25 to 30 minutes. Overall experience was OK as it's been about over 2 weeks after the 2nd interview and a total of about a month since the first interview and still waiting on reply back on the job status as I have Emailed the DM several times already and just about to give up and move on to other interviews I have lined up for potential job opportunities. I mean I’m still interested but it shouldn’t take this long. I have worked in big box retail in Store Management roles and usually takes no more then 5 to 11 days for me to get an offer or a thank you but sorry. Still haven’t receive either of those as of yet and it’s been about a month. Would be nice out of courtesy for the DM to reply to one of many Emails let me know if I’m still being considered then leave me hanging as I feel I am. What is it with companies now day’s no one wants to reply back. I will be honest as a Manager I always reply back to my interviewers regardless if they get the job or not.

Interview Questions

• Just basic interview questions. One thing they do ask you is if you have any other job interviews lined up or have any interest in other companies. I was asked twice in each interview. It shouldn't be there business to ask something like that as it shouldn't be a deal breaker if you say yes because most people are going to more then one job interview and the world doesn't revolve around BBB. But say what you want I just said I'm only focused with BBB as of now. Over all just focus on telling them examples of situations that happened and how did you handle it. Also talk about merchandising and your leadership skills is what they want to know as well.   1 Answer