Bed Bath & Beyond

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.1

Department Manager Interview

Interview with recruiter, interview with district manager.

Department Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

You will typically go through 3 interviews. One, on the phone with the HR Lead; one with a Store Manager; and one with the District Manager. They will mostly ask you your past experiences in the work force and why you made the decision to want to work with BBBY.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. Same "by the book" new hire interview questions.   Answer Question
    They are pretty stern on the offer given out.

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Easy interview... 1 interview with a manager and then another with the store manager.

Interview Questions
    • Easy questions. These days, they will hire anyone. They used to be more selective in the process.   Answer Question
    We negotiated at the starting pay based on a promise to me that my job was a full time position with room to advance and that after the typical 3 month time period and training, we would re-negotiate. This never happened.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Due to turnover they are always looking for managers which should have served as a warning to me. I had two interviews and the whole process took only 10 days. My first interview was with a district hr manager then the final was with a district manager. The district manager kept getting interrupted during my interview by phone calls and employee questions which was not professional .

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all generic and typical of any interview.   Answer Question
    Salary was more than I was currently making so I was satisfied .

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamden, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamden, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in April 2014.

I applied on snagajob.com and heard back within two weeks. I was called for an interview, went in two days later, he asked me to show up early to fill out a paper application. Then a manager met with me, we talked for about 15minutes about my previous positions and what this position would entail. Then he told me that he would get back to me when the store manager was available to interview me. The few questions he asked were normal, like why do you want to work here, what did you do at (a previous job), and if I had any questions for him.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you had an irritated customer?   View Answer

Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Fortunately for new employees, this place is using a Temp Agency.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when your integrity has been called into question and what did you do about it?   Answer Question
    I named my salary, and after 3 days they met it.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

i didnt interview. they called me asking for my talent

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I applied and a week later I was called and verbally offered a $8/hr salary, and asked if I could come in for training a few days later--no interview. The application was standard, nothing out of the ordinary. I later heard they unexpectedly lost a few employees and we in dire need of new hires. Myself and two other employees were hired without an interview (myself) or after just one (the two others) interview. There are usually two, or even three interviews. If you don't get a call back after the first one, the manager didn't like your hours probably.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in February 2014.

interview was really easy, no super hard questions, no drug test, they mainly only cared about how i felt with climbing ladders which i was kinda scared at first but within a week it was not a big deal. they asked where i went to school, what i did on weekends, and wanted me to assure them i was reliable and honest. i had a second interview immediately after with the senior manager and she just explained my duties and what i was expected to do. i started within the following 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time when you had to work with someone who you particularly didnt like and what did you do?   View Answer

District Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in January 2014.

Without question, the interview conducted by an existing BBB DM, was singularly THE most pathetic excuse of a professional interview for a management position I have ever witnessed. He asked a grand total of 2, count them, 2 questions of a man with 20+ years of field management experience.......and they were insultingly small-ball questions that would be usually be asked of a high school kid applying for a part-time stock position.

Worse still, the Regional Human Resources Manager was on site also doing 1-on-1 interviews, and was either completely ignorant of the DM's pathetic interviewing skills, or she knew his skills and was willing to accept the reputation for the company that might result from such lack of professional inquiry, or, perhaps she was okay with such technique and the interview was indicative of what BBB does under the auspices of a professional interview for management.

Apparently, BBB has never considered a basic interview template, any basic interview guidelines, or any method at all of professional standards of interviewing experienced field management candidates.

The ads on Monster.com and other jobsites are essentially a bait & switch tactic in my estimation, so Buyer Beware!!!. Here is the typical first sentence of one of BBB's ads for experienced field management candidates..........."If you are currently a District or Regional Manager in a multi-unit environment AND have strong merchandising and analytical skills, you may have what it takes. While maintaining our strong promote-from-within culture, you will be guided and mentored through store assignments, reaching the DM level with us as quickly as your performance demands via our 100% 'promote from within' program." Bull!

Unless you are so desperate for a job, that you will drop down from a Regional or District position to a Dept Manager and work for $35K/yr for some undefined length of time, you will have wasted your time and energy interviewing with BBB. I'm sure if they can occasionally snag a Regional or District for such paltry salaries and have them as a Dept Manager with NO actual mentoring program nor performance standards for achieving the RM or DM level with them, they'll take you.

Verifying my experience with BBB is quite simple.......you need only ask a basic question of payscale for training, and then request they describe in their own words the BBB program and approach for 'guiding and mentoring' through store assignments. No matter what salary requirement you need, they will tell you in the interview 'we can cover that' (but it's not going to happen). When was the last time as a Regional or a District you had an undefined, un-scaled trainee budget on your P&L??? But, if that doesn't set off alarm bells, hear the mentoring program answer, which is all verbal and undefined......no SOP, no standards, nothing on paper, nothing track-able, zero commitment on their part............'well, you work thru the depts. determining your own training, and the store General Manager will let us know when you're ready.' Really??? When was the last time as a Regional, or a District, you had a training/mentoring program for a high-end field manager ever so open-ended, un-directed, undefined, un-scripted, no deadlines, and completely amorphous???

Unless you are 25 years old and trying to break-in to the bottom rung of retail management, or your personal situation is of such desperation you are forced to take just anything, don't waste your time with BBB.

Their recruiter sought me out, not the other way around. And they are going to make an informed, intelligent decision based on 2, yes 2, small-ball questions.

I was so insulted at the waste of my time, BBB has also lost me as a customer.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were better suited to be asked of a high school kid looking for part-time work, rather than an experienced multi-unit field manager.   Answer Question

Pathetically low salary offer, and non-existent training/mentoring approach.