Bed Bath & Beyond

2.1

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Due to turnover they are always looking for managers which should have served as a warning to me. I had two interviews and the whole process took only 10 days. My first interview was with a district hr manager then the final was with a district manager. The district manager kept getting interrupted during my interview by phone calls and employee questions which was not professional .

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all generic and typical of any interview.   Answer Question
    Salary was more than I was currently making so I was satisfied .

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hamden, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Hamden, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in April 2014.

I applied on snagajob.com and heard back within two weeks. I was called for an interview, went in two days later, he asked me to show up early to fill out a paper application. Then a manager met with me, we talked for about 15minutes about my previous positions and what this position would entail. Then he told me that he would get back to me when the store manager was available to interview me. The few questions he asked were normal, like why do you want to work here, what did you do at (a previous job), and if I had any questions for him.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you had an irritated customer?   View Answer

Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Fortunately for new employees, this place is using a Temp Agency.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when your integrity has been called into question and what did you do about it?   Answer Question
    I named my salary, and after 3 days they met it.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

i didnt interview. they called me asking for my talent

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I applied and a week later I was called and verbally offered a $8/hr salary, and asked if I could come in for training a few days later--no interview. The application was standard, nothing out of the ordinary. I later heard they unexpectedly lost a few employees and we in dire need of new hires. Myself and two other employees were hired without an interview (myself) or after just one (the two others) interview. There are usually two, or even three interviews. If you don't get a call back after the first one, the manager didn't like your hours probably.

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in February 2014.

interview was really easy, no super hard questions, no drug test, they mainly only cared about how i felt with climbing ladders which i was kinda scared at first but within a week it was not a big deal. they asked where i went to school, what i did on weekends, and wanted me to assure them i was reliable and honest. i had a second interview immediately after with the senior manager and she just explained my duties and what i was expected to do. i started within the following 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time when you had to work with someone who you particularly didnt like and what did you do?   View Answer

District Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in January 2014.

Without question, the interview conducted by an existing BBB DM, was singularly THE most pathetic excuse of a professional interview for a management position I have ever witnessed. He asked a grand total of 2, count them, 2 questions of a man with 20+ years of field management experience.......and they were insultingly small-ball questions that would be usually be asked of a high school kid applying for a part-time stock position.

Worse still, the Regional Human Resources Manager was on site also doing 1-on-1 interviews, and was either completely ignorant of the DM's pathetic interviewing skills, or she knew his skills and was willing to accept the reputation for the company that might result from such lack of professional inquiry, or, perhaps she was okay with such technique and the interview was indicative of what BBB does under the auspices of a professional interview for management.

Apparently, BBB has never considered a basic interview template, any basic interview guidelines, or any method at all of professional standards of interviewing experienced field management candidates.

The ads on Monster.com and other jobsites are essentially a bait & switch tactic in my estimation, so Buyer Beware!!!. Here is the typical first sentence of one of BBB's ads for experienced field management candidates..........."If you are currently a District or Regional Manager in a multi-unit environment AND have strong merchandising and analytical skills, you may have what it takes. While maintaining our strong promote-from-within culture, you will be guided and mentored through store assignments, reaching the DM level with us as quickly as your performance demands via our 100% 'promote from within' program." Bull!

Unless you are so desperate for a job, that you will drop down from a Regional or District position to a Dept Manager and work for $35K/yr for some undefined length of time, you will have wasted your time and energy interviewing with BBB. I'm sure if they can occasionally snag a Regional or District for such paltry salaries and have them as a Dept Manager with NO actual mentoring program nor performance standards for achieving the RM or DM level with them, they'll take you.

Verifying my experience with BBB is quite simple.......you need only ask a basic question of payscale for training, and then request they describe in their own words the BBB program and approach for 'guiding and mentoring' through store assignments. No matter what salary requirement you need, they will tell you in the interview 'we can cover that' (but it's not going to happen). When was the last time as a Regional or a District you had an undefined, un-scaled trainee budget on your P&L??? But, if that doesn't set off alarm bells, hear the mentoring program answer, which is all verbal and undefined......no SOP, no standards, nothing on paper, nothing track-able, zero commitment on their part............'well, you work thru the depts. determining your own training, and the store General Manager will let us know when you're ready.' Really??? When was the last time as a Regional, or a District, you had a training/mentoring program for a high-end field manager ever so open-ended, un-directed, undefined, un-scripted, no deadlines, and completely amorphous???

Unless you are 25 years old and trying to break-in to the bottom rung of retail management, or your personal situation is of such desperation you are forced to take just anything, don't waste your time with BBB.

Their recruiter sought me out, not the other way around. And they are going to make an informed, intelligent decision based on 2, yes 2, small-ball questions.

I was so insulted at the waste of my time, BBB has also lost me as a customer.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were better suited to be asked of a high school kid looking for part-time work, rather than an experienced multi-unit field manager.   View Answer

Pathetically low salary offer, and non-existent training/mentoring approach.

Manager Interview

They post for positions they aren't hiring for

Pay

Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

When someone brings in an application a manager is paged to come upfront to meet and greet. At this time the manager is to spend 5 to 10 minutes walking and talking with this person. This process is not an interview. Then if that manager liked what they went over then it would be passed on to a second manager usually the store manager. The meet and greets can be as high as 2 a day or 20 a day just depends. Then the store manager will call in the ones that where passed along as good ones to look at.

Interview Questions
    At the time was offer a little higher then what I wanted for a minimum pay. Things are a little different these days.

Department Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

The interview process happened fairly quickly as the push was on to fill a class spot in Atlanta before the holidays.
    I was contacted by HR shortly after submitting my application
    I was given an interview with the DM which I had to drive 45 minutes
    I then filled out a paper application before speaking with the DM
    Application was standard. Availability & Previous experience why do you want to work here etc
    Interview lasted 1.5 hrs and was very candid and relaxed
    2nd interview was in Atlanta (4hrs drive) with Senior DM
    Senior DM was bad cop to DM good cop so you have to be prepared to shift gears
    Be honest, confident yet respectful. Do not try and guess or talk above experience these people are very intelligent & intuitive.
    Have questions ready for both interviews
    They will check references and call them

Interview Questions
    • If I gave you 4 feet of endcap space and some coasters what would be your approach to merchandising them so that they sell? Explain your process.   View Answer
    Senior DM: "So how much are we going to pay you"
    Answer: I think Im worth "X"
    SDM: I think we can manage that