Belk Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014
Updated Sep 8, 2014

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Belk.

Interviewed on my lunch hour, HR was very professional and made interview seem more like a get to know one another time than an actual business interview. This was 19 years ago and things have changed in company since then, it was more personal and more of a caring atmosphere and not so much about numbers as it is today under the new CEO.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were difficult or unexpected.   View Answer
    Offered a good salary and a good job but this was 19 years ago when it was a total different company, Today the company is more about money than the actually caring about the associate.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at Belk.

Simple interviewed with Sales Manager and ASM. Interview took a couple of hours. Heard back within a week. Described the process of what would happen in the future should I accept the position.

based on SPH, no real negotiation

Director In IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Belk.

The process itself was fast and professional. Phone interview a couple of in person sessions where I met with other directors, VPs and C-Levels. HR was a pleasure to deal with, very professional, good communication. While clearly the IT staff has been upgraded there are still some relics from the old days who are completely out of touch. Based on their questions and attitudes they aren’t current with today’s strategies and technologies, and don’t like the changes in this department. Sadly I got very different views of the job from the more recent hires than the long term employees which says this isn’t one team. Also Belk clearly hires for ‘skills’ in a specific role rather than hiring for character, I doubt they are capable of real career development even with their executives. At the end of two days of interviewing, It was very clear to me this wasn't the right company for me.

Interview Questions
    • None, they asked the same boring questions, what are your strong points, what are you weak points. Then a lot of questions on what technologies and methodologies I have experience in but none on successful or failed projects. Not one person asked me where I wanted to be in 5-10 years in my career which I think is an important question but almost everyone asked me why I wanted to work there, (and not in a good way). One executive just asked who we might know in common so he could ask them about me???   View Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online - interviewed at Belk.

I don't even remember when I applied. I had just been applying to any and everywhere. When I received the call I was already working so it much have taken 1 or 2 months for them to call me after I applied. They called me in for an interview and hired me that same day. I went through the 2-3 day training for pt seasonal sales associate and was out on the floor by day 4.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly the whole interview was a breeze. Don't go in uptight or nervous, just real and professional.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Visual Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cornelia, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cornelia, GA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Belk.

One interview for normal staff, and for visual a interview with the regional over the stores, I just sat in the managers office and we just talked about the visual opening, the regional is going to be nice and chill but he will as about organization and time management

Interview Questions
    • nothing really it is pretty relaxed, visual is the better job for someone at belk   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Savannah, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Belk.

Interviewed during job fair day at location. I interviewed with the Assistant Store Manager and was passed along to 2nd Assistant Store Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions are standard. However, think well before answering because you're going to be working in retail.   Answer Question

Commission Shoe Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Belk.

Very involved. Multiple steps. On-line portion very sketchy because of the unreliability of the IT system. It was necessary to resubmit information multiple times to be acknowledged. Actual face-to-face interview was lightweight and the simplest part of the process. I think by then they already know whether or not you're in.

Interview Questions
    • There really wasn't anything difficult except for the process itself, which was exhaustive and lengthy.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. The offer was take it or leave it. I had been unemployed for five months, so taking the position was a no-brainer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Belk in April 2014.

They called me and we set up an interview that day. They were very anxious to hire me because I had full availability. They hired me on the spot and we set up times for me to start work. They worked with my schedule very well because my first week working there I had to go out of town for a few days.

Interview Questions
    • It was pretty basic questions. They mostly asked about my past jobs. I didn't have any retail experience but they still hired me.   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Belk in April 2014.

It was a pretty quick and painless interview process. The team lead was very friendly and open and made the entire process painless. I met with the manager the following Monday and it was much of the same. The best part of the interview was the my favorite superhero question.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question was the favorite superHero question.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Belk.

3 stage interview set up by HR Representative. Each of the first 2 interviews asks basic interview questions from department managers. The final interview is with the store manager and is focused on department placement and compensation.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in a previous job where a fellow employee dropped the ball and how you contributed to remedying the situation.   Answer Question
    They had an unexpectedly high base salary. I don't believe there is much room for negotiation for part-time employees.

Worked for Belk? Contribute to the Community!