Belk

Getting the Interview

45 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Belk in August 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process was very short. There was an in person interview with Human Resources and I was hired on the spot because of my background and experience.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Belk.

Interview Details – Interviewing was simple and quick.. Fill out a application and couple days later had a interview and it was simple just question to see how you are as a person

Interview Question – Which do you prefer success or money?   Answer Question

Shallotte, NC

I applied in-person - interviewed at Belk in May 2011.

Interview Details – I had two interviews. One with the HR manager and one with the department manager. first I completed the online application and then I followed up with a phone call. I did get the job and worked there for more than 2 years but overall it was a miserable experience and I do not recommend it.

Interview Question – There wasn't any question that sticks out as being unusual or difficult. However, I was able to negotiate a better starting salary. They won't tell you that, but if you have exprience and fight for it, you can get a higher starting salary.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I mention all of that that above.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Belk.

Interview Details – 3 stage interview set up by HR Representative. Each of the first 2 interviews asks basic interview questions from department managers. The final interview is with the store manager and is focused on department placement and compensation.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in a previous job where a fellow employee dropped the ball and how you contributed to remedying the situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They had an unexpectedly high base salary. I don't believe there is much room for negotiation for part-time employees.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Belk.

Interview Details – Went in, filled out paper application and interviewed the same day.

Negotiation Details – It was a take it or leave it.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Belk in June 2013.

Interview Details – Filled out the application online took the behavior test. A few days later got a call from a manager to set up an interview.

Interview Question – All the question were about my previous work experience.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Belk.

Interview Details – Simple process, apply online. Received a call from the assistant store manager, he hired me on the spot pending a background check.

Interview Question – There really wasn't any difficult questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, it was a take it or leave it

Greeneville, TN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Belk.

Interview Details – Hiring process was pretty straightforward. After submitting an application, I received an invitation to interview in person with the store manager. She asked basic questions about my customer service skills and abilities, how I would handle difficult customer interactions, and etc. Little of the interview focused on selling abilities, which I thought was odd at a retail store. Nothing was mentioned of credit solicitation, which I later discovered was the main expectation by store and regional management.

Interview Question – Asking if I see myself with Belk in five years. While this is a standard question for most job interviews, I thought it was strange that it was asked for an entry level position.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was little negotiation. All sales associates at that time started at the same base pay.

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Belk in June 2010.

Interview Details – Take an online assessment. Interviewed by store management and assistant manager.

Negotiation Details – Go in with a pay in mind. Managers are tough negotiators.

Little Rock, AR

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Belk.

Interview Details – I was told after I got hired that if you didn't smile during the first interview that you didn't make it to the second interview. Also there is a survey you have to take during the application process, it measures your work ethic and personality, if you don't meet those requirements you will not even get a call back.

Interview Question – The only question that I really had to think about was that they asked me what my strength and weaknesses were.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked me what my minimum was for the job before they gave me a number. I've had this experience before so I always ask for more on my application than what I expect to get. Be warned they will try to low-ball you in salary. If it's just a little lower than expected don't fret, there is a lot of room for growth after the first year.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Belk

Worked for Belk? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Belk Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 45 interview reviews posted anonymously by Belk employees and interview candidates.