Belvedere Trading

Updated Jan 4, 2015
Updated Jan 4, 2015

3.4

Trader Trainee Interview

1st round interview was on Skype, took roughly 45 minutes. Interviewer asked about some things on my resume and why Belvedere, then proceeded to ask some mental math and expected value and probability questions.

Trader Trainee Interview

Applied online, Skype interview that involved some behavior questions as well as math questions. In the week after the Skype interview, received an e-mail that there would be a final round interview, then was flown to Chicago for an interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are the angles between the minute and hour hand of the clock at these given times? What is the sum of that?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Belvedere Trading.

Applied through university. There was a technical on campus interview and a technical on site interview. The on site took one day, and there were 3 or 4 one-on-one interviews and a written coding challenge.

Two Rounds -
    First: Skype interview with basic math and probability questions
    Second: Super-day style group interview with remedially simple trading game, and multiple written tests. Followed by two short behavioral interviews.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Belvedere Trading.

Total of two interviews with one project. First interview was an over the phone/skype style interview, more of a get to know you style interview and ask you about your resume. They follow this up with a project, they ask you to complete it within a week and submit it back to them. Within a week or two of that, you will be invited to do an on site interview in Chicago (typically a Friday into Saturday). You will come in and learn about the atmosphere, get a tour of the company, get a better understanding of how belvedere runs without any clients or customers. Once you have a basic overview, they tell you a bit more about benefits and do a few presentations on what different roles in the company do. From there you will give a presentation that's roughly ten minutes. From there, you will have a few rounds of interviews, the first half is about your experiences thus far, then they will ask you two logical questions each. To be honest, prep up for these questions because by the time the third round of interviews comes, you may not be thinking straight. After the interviews, you go out to "dinner" with individuals in the company. You come to realize that the oldest person in the company may be no older than Jesus when he died, and you find out that most of the people there were involved in greek life at some point or another through college. It's a competitive atmosphere, so it's not surprising. After they spoil all the workers and job candidates with some expensive drinks and appetizers, you go back to the hotel and wait to hear an answer for about a week to two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • How much does the Sears tower weigh? Describe how you came up with that number.   View Answer
    • You have an airplane, you need to weigh the airplane, but you don't have a scale. How do you weigh the airplane?   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Belvedere Trading.

Had an on campus interview - included a 20 minute quick math test with 60 problems. The questions are not bad but require you to be fast. The face to face interview was a bunch of straightforward mental math questions and common brainteasers.

Was invited to the on site interview an hour later - made to take two more tests in Chicago, followed by 1 30 min one-one interview. Purely behavioral. This was followed by a trading game involving expected values as well as a mock trading session. Very professional process and great, friendly people.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Belvedere Trading.

Had a pre-screening skype interview. Asked about resume, made me do mental math, asked about St. Petersburg paradox as well as proper ticket pricing for a raffle. Then entered a Q&A session where I asked questions about the company.

Interview Questions
    • Asked how much I'd be willing to pay to play a coin game. Look up St. Petersburg paradox.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Belvedere Trading in October 2014.

I applied by emailing the HR department. I was then contacted for a skype interview in a short period of time. After the skype interview I was contact to continue to the final rounds of interviews at their Chicago office. They were going to pay for transportation, a hotel, and food. I told them I could not go because I received an offer at another firm that I couldn't refuse. The skype interview was with a trader who asked a lot of math and probability brainteasers. Most of them were very straight forward and the guy was nice.

Interview Questions
    • If you have 8 teams playing in a simple bracket would you rather win 1 million dollars for getting all of the game outcomes correct or receive 10,000 for getting at least one game correct.   View Answer

Accepted another offer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Belvedere Trading in September 2014.

Communications were smooth. First round was phone screen while coding on a Google Doc, final round was in-office (expenses paid for). Began with two written exams, then a couple rounds of behaviorals/technicals. The questions asked were all very interesting and fun to work on and the people there are incredibly smart/willing to help. Day concluded with a dinner with two team members which was a great way to learn more about the culture.

Interview Questions
    • Building out (a watered down version of) one of the trading algorithms they use and trying to optimize it.   Answer Question

Trader Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Belvedere Trading in September 2014.

Applied through my University's career services webpage, contacted by their HR bout a week later, offered a skype interview. The skype interview had some behavioral questions, but a ton of mental math...I thought some of it was absurd to do mentally, some problems made you you work with ten different numerical inputs to the problem.

Interview Questions
    • The brain teasers at the end were really hard...something about expected payout in raffle with 3 different cash prizes   Answer Question