Benchmark Education Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Employee in New Rochelle, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Benchmark Education (New Rochelle, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Two days of interviews--in each one I met with three different people separately. The interviews lasted 2-3 hours. Unfortunately, no one could tell me what position or projects they would be hiring me for.

Strange Interview Process Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Rochelle, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Benchmark Education (New Rochelle, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Sent resume, contacted by HR and asked to fill out a questionnaire and email it back. Then got numerous emails and voice mails to schedule an interview which seemed a bit aggressive. I come in and then have to fill out a paper employment form (haven't needed to do that in over a decade), sat with HR and chatted a bit. Manager came in and was asking random questions jumping all over my resume. Didn't provide any samples of the products and wasn't interest in seeing what I brought. Then asks me what salary I'm looking for and hadn't even told me about the job. Then manager said he'd be back in a minute and didn't come back! Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• How much are you looking for?   1 Answer

Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Benchmark Education.

Interview

I applied for this position via an ad I saw online. I was contacted shortly thereafter by HR. When I arrived for the interview I was a bit taken aback by the fact that there was no receptionist to greet me. I walked up to the person at the nearest desk and told her I was there to meet HR for an interview. She handed me an application to fill out. While doing so, the culture of the office became very apparent to me. There was some sort of "open meeting" going on with a lot of yelling and raised voices. The actual interview with HR and the person who I would be reporting to if offered the position was typical, however, they both told me that working here was not for the "faint of heart" and that you need a "thick skin." I appreciated their honesty, but red flags were waving! The educational publishing world is small. All that I had heard was true.

Interview Questions

• "How do you feel about working in a difficult and stressful environment?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Interview

The interview process was a two-day process. The first day was with HR and with three members of staff management who were friendly and thorough. The second day of interviews was with the CEO who was also friendly. The interview on both days went well, but was a little distracting with CEO because his smart phone dinged every time he had a new email; to say the least it was very distracting.

Interview Questions

• No question posed during interview process was too difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Editorial Department Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Benchmark Education.

Interview

The interview with HR was pretty informal, the HR person was easygoing and warm which is not always the case with HR people! And then I met with a top level editor but that was pretty brief and mostly just a discussion or their products and I showed them some of the books I had worked on after that.

Interview Questions

• Not relevant, they didn't ask me any "gotcha" questions. Fortunately! To their credit I think they realize that "where do you see yourself in five years" doesn't really matter for the type of work we do.   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negoation - "here is what we pay" and you can take it or leave it. That was the only difficult part, i have never had that approach before.

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Benchmark Education in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was quick and very professional. The office was clean and the receptionist was professional and courteous. Human resources representative gave me paperwork to fill out, I was taken at the agreed upon time for my interviews. I met with two different people. Each interviewer asked specifically pointed questions about how I would handle a dynamic personality.

Interview Questions

• The question, "how do you handle pressure?" was asked a number of times with slight variations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pelham, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Benchmark Education (Pelham, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

I brought in my résumé and waited for the HR person, who seemed nervous and on edge when she arrived. Rather than meeting in an office, we went to the dining area. I went through the usual Q-and-A about my past work experience and laid out my ideas for leading a team.

Interview Questions

• At the end of the interview, I was asked if I had brought my lunch and could start working that day.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy. I said what I would work for and they accepted. I think they were really desperate for people.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Rochelle, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Benchmark Education (New Rochelle, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

The interview process went really quick.But per the other reviews I read on all the yelling and screaming that goes in this place. As soon as I had arrived there was some lady yelling at her employee. It is a small open space office. I don't recommend working here as the yelling makes people uncomfortable. The interview itself is quick as they would hire you right there and then.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to do a Excel Test, without telling me beforehand of it.   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pelham Manor, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Benchmark Education (Pelham Manor, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

This process was quick and dirty. I interviewed with anybody who was free that day. There was q and a with each editor and some overview about the various projects. At one point, one of the editors spoke about the owner being a hotheaded screamer. She said she hoped it wouldn't get in the way of me taking the job.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't really anything difficult about the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. In the end, they paid me what I was making almost 20 years ago.

Editorial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Benchmark Education in October 2013.

Interview

I communicated with an HR person before the interview. At the interview, I first met with an HR person and a Senior Editor, then with an Executive Editor alone. It was very uncomfortable- I didn't have enough time to finish my paperwork before the interview, and while the HR person told me that she would allow me to finish after the interview, she took it from me when she left the interview and told me I could finish it if I was asked back. I would recommend getting to your interview at least half an hour early to avoid that situation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you learned how to use a new technology.   Answer Question