Benchmark Senior Living

Engaged Employer

Benchmark Senior Living Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.5

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Benchmark Senior Living in March 2015.

Interview

When the Regional Manager came to the front desk to escort me to his office he kept asking me, "we spoke on the phone, right?". Since we hadn't I said that we had communicated by e-mail. He had my resume but may have mixed me up with someone. He got summoned to a conference call about 20 minutes after we started, and kept me waiting for 30 minutes. When he came out he said he was being called away and there was no one else available to speak with me. When I left the receptionist was shaking her head and apologizing for him. Not a good impression.

Interview Questions

• The position you applied for has already been filled. Would you be interested in this other location?   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Benchmark Senior Living (Wellesley, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied for a position in Waltham. I was told they made an offer to someone already and it was filled over the phone. When I got to the interview I met another candidate who said she was applying for the position in Waltham. I told her it was filled. During my interview I was continuously asked if I was interested in other locations. That being said, I would not apply for any jobs at Benchmark with any seriousness. Use there unorganized and dysfunctional interview process that I experienced as a learning experience and move on. When I arrived, there were several people leaving that were there for interviews. I was with the first interviewer for at least an hour, and then I met with the second interviewer who was trying to recruit me for another location. When I wasn’t interested in that location she abruptly left the room and sent in another recruiter / manger to talk to me about another location. During that interview the manager yawned and asked me ridiculous questions. I could not wait to leave. I was offered a job at another company at a much higher rate of pay and accepted it but I thought I would save some of you from this colossal waste of time.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult or unexpected questions asked at this interview. If you follow the typical questions given to you by your college's career you will have no trouble at all. My advice would be to consider what you just experienced-   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Benchmark Senior Living.

Interview

The interview process was awful it was a awkward group interview. the director couldn't even remember the questions he was asking without looking down at his paper. He was rude he wouldn't even look you in the eye when you were answering his questions he was to busy looking at his paper also for someone reason it takes 3 people to conduct a small group interview. I wouldn't recommend anyone applying to this facility or Academy Point in Mystic, CT there both awful places to be at the people who run the facilities are very rude and unorganized.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall there were a lot of questions that didn't make sense.   Answer Question

Director of Community Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Benchmark Senior Living (Boston, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

Very long, arduous process with multiple people, partially in person, partially through Skype. They asked the same questions and said things that were not the case. Very long decision making process

Department Head Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Benchmark Senior Living.

Interview

interview on phone was very in depth and detailed
    group interviews very unprofessional
    interviewer unprofessional, made comments about how cute a male was
    interviewers seemed disinterested and bored
    hiring process was very detailed

Interview Questions

• how do you control your personal life when you come to work   Answer Question

Negotiation

lowball on salaries

Maintenance Technician/Housekeeping Interview

Anonymous Employee in Meriden, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Benchmark Senior Living (Meriden, CT).

Interview

this I'm sorry to say has been my worst ever interview experience it all started out on a saturday morning around 9;30 or so the phone rang and it was the facility manager calling upon my online resume (i must have what it takes if i was chosen to be interviewed right ?) anyway we didn't actually scheduled to meet until the following week on tuesday (his two consecutive days off are sun-mon) so i show up that tuesday morn and he was out sick, so the HR person does the interview, which was rather interesting to say the least it went ok so then i was asked to wait and hear from manager to set up an interview with him (two days pass) so manager and i finally meet for the most part it goes well we have great convo no tasks I'm not capable of performing i may even be over qualified but thats ok i can adapt. the interview comes to and i ask what is expected to take place next, and was told i would hear from him later that day after a conversation with the director (on site mind you ) well guess what I've not heard a word, in fact i have placed two calls over a weeks period of time left VM and to no avail he will not respond. whatever so two more days pass still nothing, i get it i get i can take a hint you don't want me, but at the very least communicate with the potential employee that you so very much seem interested in. one more thing, i took it upon myself to contact corporate home office HR . DO YOU THINK I GOT ANY MORE SATISFACTION FROM THAT ??? well your mistaken cause that was also a lost cause.

Dementia Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Benchmark Senior Living in January 2014.

Interview

Thorough, was contacted initially by email, then had phone interview, then interview with ED of building, then with Regional ED and Regional Nurse Director, was offered position two weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Did not have a difficult question during interview, I enjoyed greatly meeting with the ED of building and the tour was great, did not like when Regional ED questioned me, I felt as if she was interrogating me.   1 Answer

Negotiation

offered 50,000 initially, then was told they could only offer me 48,000. Then was told by a less qualified director who was also hired around same time, received 12, 000 more a year because she was hired as a favor, "one of my best friends is best friends with regional."

Harbor Care Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Billerica, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Benchmark Senior Living (Billerica, MA) in September 2013.

Interview

First interview was a sit down interview with a temporary Executive Director and a nurse. They asked a number of questions and then I attended a second interview with a regional director and a different Executive Director

Interview Questions

• I was asked about prior experience with the elder population.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiation was not really a part of the position. It was explained what was offered and there was no room to ask for more financial compensation or different benefits. The alternative every weekend schedule for management was also not negotiable and was hard to accept and was one of the reasons I moved on from the position.

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Benchmark Senior Living.

Interview

Group interview first, less nerve racking, feed off other applicants, second personal interview with direct supervisor, one on one, more detail oriented.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

wasnt, one, payrate was non negotiable

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Benchmark Senior Living.

Interview

Process was slightly lengthy as it required a background check as well as a rigorous training process (a whole day event that may happen once every month so you have to wait to take the course before you are allowed to start training at the facility). When filling out the application make sure you ask the front desk to give it to the department head otherwise it could get lost or placed in the wrong mail box. Follow up, I cannot repeat how important this is. The more you nag, the better. It shows that you're extremely interested and will get you an interview. If there are no position available in that department currently, ask if there are other departments hiring. There are always positions available... always.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions are pretty straight forward (do you know what it is like to be a team player, can you multitask). I can't remember being stumped by any questions. The only somewhat real "thinking" question asked "Have you ever been in a situation where you didn't know what to do or were stressed and how did you overcome this."   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiating. They give you a range of 1-5% annual raise after a yearly review (if you do a good job you will get a 5 and receive a 5% raise or if you get a 1 you will get a 1% raise.. kind sucks but it makes sense).