Bentley Systems

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Bentley Systems in July 2013.

Interview Details – Be forewarned, this was the most drawn out hiring process I have ever experienced.

I had an initial 1 hr phone interview with a manager. 5 days later I had a follow up phone interview with the practice leader that was scheduled the morning of the phone interview. The interview was pretty basic. They essentially wanted you to explain how your background correlates to their particular position.

The next day I was sent a request for a lunch interview with the Vice President and Senior Vice President that I would potentially report to. The interview was mostly situation where I was asked to recount an example of a time when such and such had happened and how I handled it. I must have passed this portion, because I was sent an email later that day requesting an onsite interview the following week.

I had an onsite interview in the local Pittsburgh office that lasted approximately 4 hours. I interviewed with 4 different groups of people all from diverse positions within the company. I had a interview with a consulting manager (but not my future manager), a project manager using a teleconference, 2 consultants who don't work in Pittsburgh via a teleconference, a development manager, and 2 product managers. Everyone was fairly nice and allowed me to ask questions about the position.

I then did not hear anything from Bentley for 3.5 weeks following my onsite interview and then I was contacted via email to meet my potential manager for a drink to discuss an offer. I was given a handwritten piece of paper at the bar that contained my initial offer.I tried to negotiate but they seemed very standoffish to the negotiation process. They did come back with a slight increase in my base salary and so I accepted their offer via email. About 3 weeks later I received a formal HR offer letter that I was asked to return prior to my start date.

On the same day that I received my offer letter. My potential manager invited me in to have a lunch with the entire office. It was odd and awkward because I had literally just received a formal offer letter only 1 hour before, but I was 100% certain I was going to take the job and was interested in meeting some of the people that I would be working with.

5 days later the hiring manager called me a reneged on the formal offer.

Interview Question – Everything was pretty straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Then negotiation was bizarre. I countered their offer and my hiring manager did not respond to my counter for 7 days. They upped their offer $2,000.
My final offer was for:
Base: $110,000
Quarterly on target incentive – OTI: $13,200
Global profit sharing target – GPS: $4,928
On target earnings – OTE: $128,128

Software Engineer I Interview

Software Engineer I
Covington, LA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Bentley Systems in May 2009.

Interview Details – One phone interview with two people then a online test. Once that was satisfactory, an in person interview with 3-4 people and a quick programming exercise was performed.

Interview Question – Programming exercise.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was some negotiation for extra vacation.

Software Engineer, Entry Interview

Software Engineer, Entry
Huntsville, AL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bentley Systems in November 2012.

Interview Details – First had a one hour long phone interview, asked about projects on resume and two easy programming questions about string and array. After one week, went for an onsite interview with 4 rounds, one hour and two interviewers each round. It was not difficult but covered lots of topics. Such as database transaction management, design patterns, linked list questions, user interface questions.

Interview Question – What are the key factors in designing user interface? What are the factory method, command, prototype, interpreter, singleton, iterator, etc. design patterns?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Able to negotiate.

IT Analyst Interview

Exton, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at Bentley Systems in April 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by Bentley via email at first to schedule an interview. During it, I was interviewed by two people, and it went well (they even said it went well). I did not hear anything back from the company for several days, so I emailed HR. I got an automated message back saying the position was filled. No call, no legitimate email. I contacted them and the HR department said the position was internally filled.

Interview Question – Tell us a time when you had to take lead of a project or action at a job?   Answer Question

Software Developer Intern Interview

Watertown, CT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bentley Systems in May 2010.

Interview Details – Phone Interview consisted of technical interview. Questions on Data Structures, Technology specific and project specific questions were asked.
On Site interview consisted of a technical test with different sections like databases, language specific and skills mentions in my resume. Some code was also to be reviewed in the test. Test and entire group interview was completed in 5-6 hours

Interview Question – Which technical magazines do you read?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Huntsville, AL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bentley Systems in May 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview discussing profile, followed by skills test in C, computers conducted inline and finally a video conference interview

Interview Questions

• questions about my academic projects   View Answer
  • questions sbout my computer language skills, experience   View Answer

Negotiation Details – was told that they were budgeted to offer 21-24 an hour, I said I was looking for 25 and was offered it

Senior Project Manager Interview

Brisbane (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Bentley Systems in July 2010.

Interview Details – Applied via Seek.com, Head hunter contacted me, briefed me, had phone interview with employer, flew me to Brisbane for a 1 on 1 and meet the team. Went well, environment felt awesome, team seems friendly, competent, with a great team spirit. Was excited. Head hunter met me afterwards and gave me feedback.

Interview Question – What was your salary expectation?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The felt that I owed them since I had been flown to HQ, and were not really open to negotiation on any part of the package. However I had set a salary expectation which was high-end but I was worth it so I took the offer and we started on a good foot. Advice - set your sights high and get offers in writing, especially where a US company is concerned and they talk bonuses and OTE. Almost everyone I worked with felt they had been mislead with respect to their packages. Get terms on email or txt if you can't get them in actual writing and beware on large and onerous contracts with unenforceable and prejudicial terms.

Software Engineer Interview

Islamabad, Islamabad (Pakistan)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bentley Systems in May 2010.

Interview Details – I interned in their summer internship program for 2 months. I was selected after a technical interview with a panel of three senior engineers. One of them focused on C/C++, Other on OOP and 3rd one on DB I think. While on the internship I was very vocal and got myself moved to a faster moving team (usually interns do not get to see hardcore programming) and proved myself. Applied for a part-time job a few months later while still in university and got hired without a tough technical interview. 8 months after that, they asked me to join full time and gave me a good raise as well. I worked there for 2 more years after that.

Interview Question – I dont think there was any difficult or unexpected question as such. I have always been a really keen developer so I was expecting much worse.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was hired as an intern first where you dont have the option to negotiate. Then I applied for part-time job where I did not negotiate. The only time I did say anything was when I was being hired as full time. At that point, I told them I expect a higher salary than a fresh grad (as I had worked there as a part time for more than 8 months). They obliged.

Online Marketing Manager Interview

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Interviewed at Bentley Systems

Interview Details – Job was advertised on Monster.com via an 3rd Party Agency. Quick turnaround from first interview to hire. In total there were four interviews. Conversational interview style with no aptitude testing or practical exam.

Interview Question – Give an example of a complex project you worked on from start to finish.   View Answer

Intern - On-Board and Career Development Interview

Calcutta (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bentley Systems in April 2013.

Interview Details – Submission of academic credentials.
Shortlisted candidates appeared for a face-to-face interview.
Basic technical stuff from programming and OOP concepts, and normal HR queries. It was more of whether I am interested in joining the firm to forward my career and whether I am interested to learn work over here.

Interview Question – Hardly any. The whole process went smooth.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bentley Systems

Worked for Bentley Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bentley Systems interview questions and advice. All 21 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bentley Systems employees and interview candidates.