Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies

Relevance Date Difficulty

Underwriting Assistant II Interview

Underwriting Assistant II
Omaha, NE

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies in June 2014.

Interview Details – I received an email requesting a phone interview within a week or two; it went well, the recruiter was friendly and asked standard questions. 10 days later I received another email asking for availability for a face-to-face interview. During that time I received an offer and had had a promising first interview with an additional company so I responded right away (this was a Friday). Monday I followed up with two phone calls and she was very busy and promised to get back to me to schedule. By Friday I still had not heard back from her but received the same exact email again from a different contact asking for availability for a face-to-face interview. I had already accepted one of the offers presented to me. I would have loved to interview with a manager but had a great offer on the table. I'm sure they get hundreds of applications each week but may want to restructure their scheduling process. They could be missing out on excellent candidates with the lag time.

San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies in March 2014.

Interview Details – BHHC was very accommodating with scheduling my interviews. The entire process took about 6 weeks, but because of unusual circumstances. My first interview I met with two HR managers. They had me discuss my resume as well as asked several questions regarding handling difficult situations. They specifically mentioned that the position requires "wearing many different hats" as well as telling me that 9/10 people are not a good fit for the job. After my first interview I had to fly home for an unexpected emergency, and during that time they called to schedule a final interview. Given my circumstances they were able to accommodate my situation and set me up with a final interview when I returned. In my final interview I met with 1 of 2 managers in charge of a group of trainees, along with her manager. Throughout this interview I was constantly asking questions in order to allow me to see if the company and position was a good fit for me. I learned much more about the role of a trainee, the day-to-day responsibilities, and obligations.

Interview Question – How would you handle a difficult conversation with a client? (ex. Telling them their insurance claim was rejected)   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't hear a response for about 2 weeks, even after sending an email to my contact in their HR department about a week after my final interview. In the meantime I was also interviewing for other positions. When I finally heard back from BHHC asking if I was still interested in the position, I had already accepted an offer from a different company. However I had concluded during my final interview that this was not the position for me. The role requires you to be constantly on the phone, and walking through the office I could not see myself sitting amongst the many cubicles. Although BHHC has a lot to offer and a role in claims would provide constant change and challenges, I prefered the other job offer I had received.

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online. Within a few days I got called to fill out a test. A week later I was scheduled for an interview 1:1.

Interview Question – What don't you like about an office job.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies in October 2013.

Interview Details – HR good at communicating with email and telephone calls. Three interviews.

Interview Question – Why would you want to leave your current position and take a lower salary?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Compensation below average salaries in this industry.

Underwriting Specialist Interview

Underwriting Specialist
Omaha, NE

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies in January 2014.

Interview Details – HR seems very rushed as if there are many applicants. In the first phone interview, the HR person was very brusque and wanted short, simple answers to all her questions. Logic and mathematics tests was very different from my other interview experiences and meant to further narrow down the search pool. Unless you lock up a position while still in school, your degree (or where you got it) means nothing to them. You still have to go above and beyond to differentiate yourself from everyone else.

Interview Question – If your major in college was not math heavy, it may be difficult to remember how to manually do some of the problems on the math part. For my part, I hadn't done things such as square roots without a calculator for many years. Review all of this beforehand!   Answer Question

Omaha, NE

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies.

Interview Details – Filled out online form, was then given online test. After a few days, I had an in person interview. Want to know why you are interested in the posisiton and ask a number of questions that you might ask during a claim, eg, if someone was in an accident, what questions would you ask them/their boss/doctors. Such as, "Are the still able to work/what capacity" "Is the injury an old recurring one or something new' "Were they on the job or on the way" etc

Interview Question – Make sure you explain why you want this job. The guy seemed put-off by the fact I asked right away about promotion/growth potential.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Omaha, NE

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies.

Interview Details – I submitted my application for the internship and waited about a month until an HR representative got in touch with me for an initial phone interview. This initial one was very straightforward. They asked me about general test scores that I have (ACT, typing test, GPA) and then went over each of the jobs that I have had in the past. She asked me about what the job entailed and then with what adjective my former employer might describe me with. At the end of the interview, she informed me that she would be in touch and instructed me to forward an unofficial transcript to her via email. I had to pay for my official one from the school because I couldn't render the unofficial one properly. She called me a few days later again to set up a time to come into the office to take some skills tests that are standard for the company. The first was a word association test. I think it was 20 minutes for 20 questions. The second was a math test, twenty questions in ten minutes. The second one was much more nerve wracking seeing as you are not permitted the use of a calculator. The third step in the process was an interview (I did not make it to this step).

Interview Question – How would your former manager describe you?   View Answer

Medical Bill Analyst Interview

Medical Bill Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies in January 2014.

Interview Details – I received a call quickly after applying. They had me come in to do a couple tests, one was a proofreading and the other was a math test done with a calculator. I received a call the next week to set up an appointment for an interview. I interviewed with a panel of a few supervisors and they told me what the job was about and what I would do.

Interview Question – I didn't have medical coding background so they stated I would have to train to become coding certified. I said I could handle that and would actually do great learning on my own. They went on for about 5 minutes stating how it was a professional job and would have to dress appropriately. Then asked the normal interview type of questions like what do I do currently and how would it relate to the job I am applying for.   Answer Question

Temp Posting- Underwriting Assistant Interview

Temp Posting- Underwriting Assistant
Omaha, NE

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies in September 2013.

Interview Details – After being reccomended by the temp agency, there is a placement test. It's two parts; a word comparison very similar to something on the ACT or SAT (blank is to blank, as blank is to blank) and a set of math questions that must be answered without a calculator. After passing the test, I met with one of the supervisors. There were the standard interview questions, but also questions pertaining to underwriting. Even if you don't get them correct, it's important to talk your way through your answer so they know your thought process.

After that, I was offered the temporary assignment.

Interview Question – Why are manhole covers round?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really was none, since this is a temporary posting.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies.

Interview Details – initially contacted by the HR department by email and scheduled a phone interview. the interviewer was very nice. Most of the questions are resume questions. Then invited to the company for an on-site interview. Asked behavior questions and skills. All of the interviewers were kind and polite. If you answer something wrong the interviewer most likely would give you some hints.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies

Worked for Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies? Contribute to the Community!