Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies

Getting the Interview

31 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies in October 2013.

Interview Details – HR good at communicating with email and telephone calls. Three interviews.

Interview Question – Why would you want to leave your current position and take a lower salary?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Compensation below average salaries in this industry.

Underwriting Specialist Interview

Omaha, NE

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies in January 2014.

Interview Details – HR seems very rushed as if there are many applicants. In the first phone interview, the HR person was very brusque and wanted short, simple answers to all her questions. Logic and mathematics tests was very different from my other interview experiences and meant to further narrow down the search pool. Unless you lock up a position while still in school, your degree (or where you got it) means nothing to them. You still have to go above and beyond to differentiate yourself from everyone else.

Interview Question – If your major in college was not math heavy, it may be difficult to remember how to manually do some of the problems on the math part. For my part, I hadn't done things such as square roots without a calculator for many years. Review all of this beforehand!   Answer Question

Omaha, NE

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies.

Interview Details – Filled out online form, was then given online test. After a few days, I had an in person interview. Want to know why you are interested in the posisiton and ask a number of questions that you might ask during a claim, eg, if someone was in an accident, what questions would you ask them/their boss/doctors. Such as, "Are the still able to work/what capacity" "Is the injury an old recurring one or something new' "Were they on the job or on the way" etc

Interview Question – Make sure you explain why you want this job. The guy seemed put-off by the fact I asked right away about promotion/growth potential.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Omaha, NE

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies.

Interview Details – I submitted my application for the internship and waited about a month until an HR representative got in touch with me for an initial phone interview. This initial one was very straightforward. They asked me about general test scores that I have (ACT, typing test, GPA) and then went over each of the jobs that I have had in the past. She asked me about what the job entailed and then with what adjective my former employer might describe me with. At the end of the interview, she informed me that she would be in touch and instructed me to forward an unofficial transcript to her via email. I had to pay for my official one from the school because I couldn't render the unofficial one properly. She called me a few days later again to set up a time to come into the office to take some skills tests that are standard for the company. The first was a word association test. I think it was 20 minutes for 20 questions. The second was a math test, twenty questions in ten minutes. The second one was much more nerve wracking seeing as you are not permitted the use of a calculator. The third step in the process was an interview (I did not make it to this step).

Interview Question – How would your former manager describe you?   View Answer

Medical Bill Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies in January 2014.

Interview Details – I received a call quickly after applying. They had me come in to do a couple tests, one was a proofreading and the other was a math test done with a calculator. I received a call the next week to set up an appointment for an interview. I interviewed with a panel of a few supervisors and they told me what the job was about and what I would do.

Interview Question – I didn't have medical coding background so they stated I would have to train to become coding certified. I said I could handle that and would actually do great learning on my own. They went on for about 5 minutes stating how it was a professional job and would have to dress appropriately. Then asked the normal interview type of questions like what do I do currently and how would it relate to the job I am applying for.   Answer Question

Temp Posting- Underwriting Assistant Interview

Omaha, NE

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies in September 2013.

Interview Details – After being reccomended by the temp agency, there is a placement test. It's two parts; a word comparison very similar to something on the ACT or SAT (blank is to blank, as blank is to blank) and a set of math questions that must be answered without a calculator. After passing the test, I met with one of the supervisors. There were the standard interview questions, but also questions pertaining to underwriting. Even if you don't get them correct, it's important to talk your way through your answer so they know your thought process.

After that, I was offered the temporary assignment.

Interview Question – Why are manhole covers round?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really was none, since this is a temporary posting.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies.

Interview Details – initially contacted by the HR department by email and scheduled a phone interview. the interviewer was very nice. Most of the questions are resume questions. Then invited to the company for an on-site interview. Asked behavior questions and skills. All of the interviewers were kind and polite. If you answer something wrong the interviewer most likely would give you some hints.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Claims Professional Trainee
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies.

Interview Details – The whole process took me about 2 weeks. I applied online through the BHHC website and about a week later I received an email asking me to take an online assessment. The test questions involved reading comprehension and basic math skills and lasted about 8 minutes.

The next day I got a call from HR to schedule an interview. Two days later I went down to the office and had a one-on-one interview with HR where I was asked questions about myself and my skills. Pretty basic stuff. Followed up with a thank you email the next day and then was called to come in for a second interview.

Second interview had me sitting across a Unit Supervisor and a Claims Manager. It was almost the same as the first interview, I was asked to talk about myself for a bit and then what skills I could bring, what I know of the company, etc. They were both really friendly and I guess they were assessing how well of a fit I'd make in the company/job position. I followed up with some thank you notes and overall I felt like I did well but about 3 days later I got a standard "thank you but no" email saying they decided to go with a different candidate.

Overall it was a good experience. Very professional and clean environment and the people seemed fairly nice. It would've been nice if they had at least told me exactly why I wasn't offered the job, but I guess I can't really complain.

Interview Question – Watch out for the question about what your "passion" is. I feel like maybe they try to catch you on that to see if you'd be the right fit for the job or not. I was sort of caught off guard and in retrospect it was probably my only answer that may not have been what they were looking for. But who knows, I could be wrong. Just make sure to keep your answer related to the job, as always.   Answer Question

Claims Professional Trainee
Omaha, NE

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies.

Interview Details – First interview was one on one, second was a group panel.

Interview Question – Be prepared to ask alot of questions   Answer Question

Claims Assistanat-SF Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies in June 2013.

Interview Details – Received initial phone interview approximately 20 days after initial application. Interviewer was great and things moving along until I was asked my last salary. Maximum salary for this position is $38k. Not sure how that could adequately feed and house anyone in the SF Bay Area.

Interview Question – None - pretty standard questions. Why do you want to work for us, etc.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies

Worked for Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies interview questions and advice. All 31 interview reviews posted anonymously by Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies employees and interview candidates.