Berlitz Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

2.0

Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Berlitz in November 2014.

The first round of interview is with the HR by telephone, then it is a on-site interview with your hiring manager. Both of them are behavior questions and other basic questions regarding to your past experience and position you are applying for. For example: What do you think is your great strength and what do you think you still need to improve? Why do you want this job? Can you work for multiple tasks? What are the three factors you value the most in a working environment? Are you comfortable making cold calls? Do you know anything about Berlitz? etc. Be sure to include specific examples from your previous experiences and have your resume ready. They tends to ask a lot of questions regarding to your resume.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about salary expectations during the telephone interview, which is quite unexpected.   View Answers (2)
    They are in urgent needs for the position, and it is a match with my previous experiences, so everything was very fast for me.

English Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Berlitz.

I was contacted via email to schedule a phone interview with me. I didn't receive a call, so I called the office and he had already left for the day. The next time, he did call. He was telling me about the company and the hiring process. He asked very few questions about me. After the phone interview, the applicants have to complete an Instructor Qualifications Program. This is a week long and consists of virtual classes with other applicants as well as online modules that must be completed for homework. The classes meet at set times and last for about 4 hours a day. They said this program was free. Free for who? I considered it to be training and thought it should have been paid.
    The actual IQP was informative and would be helpful in understanding their method. You have to do an online demo during each session of the week where the other applicants listen, participate and give feedback. Overall, it was okay. I didn't hear back about doing my final demo and it turned out that the person I was working with no longer worked at Berlitz. I did an in-person demo at the local office just to complete the entire process. The runaround and lack of communication was really what made me feel negatively about the company. From start to end, it was about 8 weeks.

Spanish Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Garden City, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Garden City, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Berlitz in October 2014.

The interview was not long, we went over major points in my resume and discussed the Berlitz program, and how/why I would be a good fit.
    After a while, I was left alone and had to write a paragraph/essay in the language I wanted to teach explaining why I wanted to work at Berlitz.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult or unexpected. The interview was very easy and predictable.   Answer Question

The hourly rate that they offered was too low.

Market Area Instruction Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Berlitz.

Phone Interview with HR was first. Second phone interview with National Instruction Manager. Third was 1:1 face interview with the Director of the specific location I would be working from.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of situational questions, rather than open ended. They want to know how you have experienced problems before and how you solved them.   Answer Question

Language Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Berlitz in August 2014.

Applied online and was called the next day. The interview process includes being told up front the duties, pay and requirements of the job. The person was very transparent.

I declined because the pay was peanuts and the week long orientation did not fit my schedule.

Language Instructor Interview

Contact the center in Santiago to apply for a freelance position teaching English. The selection starts with a week-long (non-payed) training session. If you are selected, you will advance to an interview with the director. Schedule and hours will be negotiated and a location to go to (non-payed travel). Once hired, you pay your transportation to and from work.

Instructional Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Berlitz.

3 interviews in total. 1 with HR, 1 with Learning Center Director, 1 with Director of Instruction

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you solve a difficult situation   View Answer
    No negotiation- No room for any type of negotiation.

Teacher Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Berlitz in November 2013.

0 stars to Berlitz in general, not just this location. The one in my city is desperate for new teachers and told me they would love to have me. I was then asked to attend training for 2 weeks, AKA skip my university courses for 2 weeks. I knew I could do it if I didn't miss any more for the rest of the semester and said yes. I was told they would reserve me a place immediately.

Instead, 2 weeks later, I was called by the director of Berlitz in my center and told he was sorry, but a place for me couldn't be reserved and they chose only 1 of us to go. I thought, "Well why didn't they try to reserve the places BEFORE the deadline? Then this wouldn't have happened and we all could have gone." I later found out they had given the 1 opening to the guy I recommended the job to...who isn't even a native speaker.

A month later I get a call from Berlitz again out of the blue after not hearing from them since. "We would still love to have you, please go to training in 2 weeks": I stupidly agreed. I should have known after the first issue that something was wrong. I went to training, missed 2 weeks of classes, and paid my own travel and food costs. Luckily, my hotel costs were covered. But the others rode the train 3 hours a day for 2 weeks because Berlitz didn't want to pay for them all to have a hotel.

The trainer and I seemed to see things differently and I could tell she didn't like me. I was exhausted from traveling there and being expected to sit 8 hours a day in their training classes. She took my constant yawning and stretching as me being lazy and not wanting to be there in the first place (why would I have bothered coming if I didn't want to be there?), told me this, and made me cry.

I finished the 2 tough weeks of "training" and came back and made an appointment with Berlitz to sign the contract. I arrive and the director says he was sorry, but the trainer didn't write a positive report about me and they wouldn't hire me after all.

I lost about 200€ and 2 weeks of my time because of Berlitz. 0 costs will be reimbursed. I am fine with it because the language center teachers here don't work so many hours anyways and I will eventually find something better, but I am just more upset at the fact that she had written down after week 1 that she didn't find me "compatible" with Berlitz and let me spend time and money to go to week 2 anyways. There is a reason why my mates in training kept telling me Berlitz has a bad reputation in all of their cities. And now I understand why.

I am never going near anything associated with Berlitz again.

English Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Berlitz in November 2013.

This process is long and you are not technically hired until after finishing an unpaid ~30 hour training. I completed the training and never heard back from them, they just told me to standby and stopped replying to my emails. At risk of breaking the "no venting" rule, this is a pretty cruel and disrespectful thing to do to someone on a job hunt.

The Process:
    I applied online. (I forgot how long) later, I received an email inviting me to an "informational session." This session was in fact a group-style interview, with several applicants seated around a table answering questions posed by the hiring manager. A few days after passing this phase, I was given a second interview over the phone, this time one-on-one. About a week after that, I was formally invited to their online training program, set to begin a few weeks later.

The virtual training has two parts, the first of which is completed independently and took me about 8 hours. The second is a week-long internet conference call session in which you practice teaching Berlitz lessons to other applicants and trainers. There is some homework involved, and it's a generally very active training. This can be done from your home computer if you have a PC, but the training app does not work on Mac or Android. Lacking easy access to a PC, I had to commute to their Santa Monica office daily that week for the training, something I quite honestly had no problem doing as I figured it would help me get familiar with the environment. I perhaps mistakenly got the impression I was doing well in the training. My evals read "was able to do everything expected, could improve X & Y", that sort of thing.

Following completion of the 1-2 week (depends how you pace the initial independent portion) virtual training, you are given a one-on-one training session with the hiring manager. This is supposed to happen soon after the virtual training, but in my case it was bumped 3 weeks later. I agreed to this as I was busy with finals at the time as well.

So... those weeks came and went. I heard nothing from Berlitz or my hiring manager. I emailed and was told it would happen in one week. A full month after finishing the online training, I went into the office and was given a walking tour: "Here's where your student files will be, here's where you'll find all the books, you'll be reporting to so & so, etc..." it sounded like I was in. Another teacher I'd spoken to while there for the online training also made it sound like things were a sure bet.

There was a brief review of the curriculum & methods (it was supposed to be much longer - 5 hours - but I don't think either of us wanted to sit in the room for that long) followed by my final demo. I was a bit rusty and to be honest it was a mixed bag. If a mixed bag wasn't good enough, fine, I accept that, but that's not what I was told.

I was told to expect one last Skype training session within the week, and that was the last I heard from Berlitz. I emailed twice over the past few months and wasn't honored with a reply.

Apply to this company for giggles but not as part of a serious job hunt. They wasted my time. If an applicant fails training or you otherwise move on to another candidate, tell them, especially if they've already invested a week's time into the company.

Interview Questions
    • They were all pretty standard "Can you teach or not? Yes? Prove it." questions. One thing that does jump out, though it wasn't an interview question, was the school director introducing himself as "oh, I just do something things around the office" during the training. If that was deliberate, I suppose it's a way of testing how you interact with a person of unknown, potentially much higher rank, like a student who is the CEO of a major company. For all I know it was just aimless random chit-chat though.   Answer Question

Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Odenton, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Odenton, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Berlitz in September 2013.

After hearing about a job opening through a network of my husband's work associates, I called the Language Center to inquire. The manager recommended I apply through Berlitz's website and also email her my current resume. I was called one week later for an interview. The interview was conducted by the LC manager and the Market Area Director. They sat on one side of the desk in a small office and I sat in front of the desk. They asked me to describe my work experience and then they asked me a series of scenario-based questions relating to the job. I left thinking I didn't do well because some of the questions were pretty challenging but I received a call-back the following week. I was hired!

Interview Questions
    • Can you think of a time when you presented your ideas to your supervisor and they rejected it or ignored it? How did you deal with that?   Answer Question
    There was no salary negotiation. Salaries here are within a set range.