Berlitz Interview Questions

Updated Oct 5, 2014
Updated Oct 5, 2014

2.1

English Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Berlitz.

I was contacted via email to schedule a phone interview with me. I didn't receive a call, so I called the office and he had already left for the day. The next time, he did call. He was telling me about the company and the hiring process. He asked very few questions about me. After the phone interview, the applicants have to complete an Instructor Qualifications Program. This is a week long and consists of virtual classes with other applicants as well as online modules that must be completed for homework. The classes meet at set times and last for about 4 hours a day. They said this program was free. Free for who? I considered it to be training and thought it should have been paid.
    The actual IQP was informative and would be helpful in understanding their method. You have to do an online demo during each session of the week where the other applicants listen, participate and give feedback. Overall, it was okay. I didn't hear back about doing my final demo and it turned out that the person I was working with no longer worked at Berlitz. I did an in-person demo at the local office just to complete the entire process. The runaround and lack of communication was really what made me feel negatively about the company. From start to end, it was about 8 weeks.

Market Area Instruction Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Berlitz.

Phone Interview with HR was first. Second phone interview with National Instruction Manager. Third was 1:1 face interview with the Director of the specific location I would be working from.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of situational questions, rather than open ended. They want to know how you have experienced problems before and how you solved them.   Answer Question

Language Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Berlitz in August 2014.

Applied online and was called the next day. The interview process includes being told up front the duties, pay and requirements of the job. The person was very transparent.

I declined because the pay was peanuts and the week long orientation did not fit my schedule.

Language Instructor Interview

Contact the center in Santiago to apply for a freelance position teaching English. The selection starts with a week-long (non-payed) training session. If you are selected, you will advance to an interview with the director. Schedule and hours will be negotiated and a location to go to (non-payed travel). Once hired, you pay your transportation to and from work.

Instructional Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Berlitz.

3 interviews in total. 1 with HR, 1 with Learning Center Director, 1 with Director of Instruction

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you solve a difficult situation   View Answer
    No negotiation- No room for any type of negotiation.

Teacher Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Berlitz in November 2013.

0 stars to Berlitz in general, not just this location. The one in my city is desperate for new teachers and told me they would love to have me. I was then asked to attend training for 2 weeks, AKA skip my university courses for 2 weeks. I knew I could do it if I didn't miss any more for the rest of the semester and said yes. I was told they would reserve me a place immediately.

Instead, 2 weeks later, I was called by the director of Berlitz in my center and told he was sorry, but a place for me couldn't be reserved and they chose only 1 of us to go. I thought, "Well why didn't they try to reserve the places BEFORE the deadline? Then this wouldn't have happened and we all could have gone." I later found out they had given the 1 opening to the guy I recommended the job to...who isn't even a native speaker.

A month later I get a call from Berlitz again out of the blue after not hearing from them since. "We would still love to have you, please go to training in 2 weeks": I stupidly agreed. I should have known after the first issue that something was wrong. I went to training, missed 2 weeks of classes, and paid my own travel and food costs. Luckily, my hotel costs were covered. But the others rode the train 3 hours a day for 2 weeks because Berlitz didn't want to pay for them all to have a hotel.

The trainer and I seemed to see things differently and I could tell she didn't like me. I was exhausted from traveling there and being expected to sit 8 hours a day in their training classes. She took my constant yawning and stretching as me being lazy and not wanting to be there in the first place (why would I have bothered coming if I didn't want to be there?), told me this, and made me cry.

I finished the 2 tough weeks of "training" and came back and made an appointment with Berlitz to sign the contract. I arrive and the director says he was sorry, but the trainer didn't write a positive report about me and they wouldn't hire me after all.

I lost about 200€ and 2 weeks of my time because of Berlitz. 0 costs will be reimbursed. I am fine with it because the language center teachers here don't work so many hours anyways and I will eventually find something better, but I am just more upset at the fact that she had written down after week 1 that she didn't find me "compatible" with Berlitz and let me spend time and money to go to week 2 anyways. There is a reason why my mates in training kept telling me Berlitz has a bad reputation in all of their cities. And now I understand why.

I am never going near anything associated with Berlitz again.

English Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Berlitz in November 2013.

This process is long and you are not technically hired until after finishing an unpaid ~30 hour training. I completed the training and never heard back from them, they just told me to standby and stopped replying to my emails. At risk of breaking the "no venting" rule, this is a pretty cruel and disrespectful thing to do to someone on a job hunt.

The Process:
    I applied online. (I forgot how long) later, I received an email inviting me to an "informational session." This session was in fact a group-style interview, with several applicants seated around a table answering questions posed by the hiring manager. A few days after passing this phase, I was given a second interview over the phone, this time one-on-one. About a week after that, I was formally invited to their online training program, set to begin a few weeks later.

The virtual training has two parts, the first of which is completed independently and took me about 8 hours. The second is a week-long internet conference call session in which you practice teaching Berlitz lessons to other applicants and trainers. There is some homework involved, and it's a generally very active training. This can be done from your home computer if you have a PC, but the training app does not work on Mac or Android. Lacking easy access to a PC, I had to commute to their Santa Monica office daily that week for the training, something I quite honestly had no problem doing as I figured it would help me get familiar with the environment. I perhaps mistakenly got the impression I was doing well in the training. My evals read "was able to do everything expected, could improve X & Y", that sort of thing.

Following completion of the 1-2 week (depends how you pace the initial independent portion) virtual training, you are given a one-on-one training session with the hiring manager. This is supposed to happen soon after the virtual training, but in my case it was bumped 3 weeks later. I agreed to this as I was busy with finals at the time as well.

So... those weeks came and went. I heard nothing from Berlitz or my hiring manager. I emailed and was told it would happen in one week. A full month after finishing the online training, I went into the office and was given a walking tour: "Here's where your student files will be, here's where you'll find all the books, you'll be reporting to so & so, etc..." it sounded like I was in. Another teacher I'd spoken to while there for the online training also made it sound like things were a sure bet.

There was a brief review of the curriculum & methods (it was supposed to be much longer - 5 hours - but I don't think either of us wanted to sit in the room for that long) followed by my final demo. I was a bit rusty and to be honest it was a mixed bag. If a mixed bag wasn't good enough, fine, I accept that, but that's not what I was told.

I was told to expect one last Skype training session within the week, and that was the last I heard from Berlitz. I emailed twice over the past few months and wasn't honored with a reply.

Apply to this company for giggles but not as part of a serious job hunt. They wasted my time. If an applicant fails training or you otherwise move on to another candidate, tell them, especially if they've already invested a week's time into the company.

Interview Questions
    • They were all pretty standard "Can you teach or not? Yes? Prove it." questions. One thing that does jump out, though it wasn't an interview question, was the school director introducing himself as "oh, I just do something things around the office" during the training. If that was deliberate, I suppose it's a way of testing how you interact with a person of unknown, potentially much higher rank, like a student who is the CEO of a major company. For all I know it was just aimless random chit-chat though.   Answer Question

Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Odenton, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Odenton, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Berlitz in September 2013.

After hearing about a job opening through a network of my husband's work associates, I called the Language Center to inquire. The manager recommended I apply through Berlitz's website and also email her my current resume. I was called one week later for an interview. The interview was conducted by the LC manager and the Market Area Director. They sat on one side of the desk in a small office and I sat in front of the desk. They asked me to describe my work experience and then they asked me a series of scenario-based questions relating to the job. I left thinking I didn't do well because some of the questions were pretty challenging but I received a call-back the following week. I was hired!

Interview Questions
    • Can you think of a time when you presented your ideas to your supervisor and they rejected it or ignored it? How did you deal with that?   Answer Question
    There was no salary negotiation. Salaries here are within a set range.

Part Time English Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Berlitz in August 2013.

Applied to the job after seeing the classified on Craigslist. First spoke to a regional manager via email, then the local manager. They asked when I could come in for an interview, and set one up quickly. I sat in their small, but nice Downtown San Francisco Office for twenty minutes, and the interview began. The lady asked what languages I knew, how my liberal arts degree would suit me for the job, and what I eventually wanted to do full time. She said that they would want me to "do something else," as the job would be part time. Most of those I would teach English would be foreigners here for business. After a while, a full time interview may come up and I could use the other courses they had for my personal benefit.

She made it very clear to me, it seemed, that I had the job in the bag. I would be sent a confirmation email later that night, she said. The very opposite happened. The email did arrive, but she stated: "At the moment we are going to wait on hiring certain English qualified Instructors. After close consideration and due to the demands of our current students, it would be best to hire someone with more of a business background. As I mentioned, we have many students who come to Berlitz to polish their professional English speaking skills (vocabulary and grammar) where they require terminology and business etiquette to perfect their proficiency. This does not mean that we will not be needing instructors for more general English purposes in the near future, because we eventually will. I will certainly keep your resume on file and contact you as soon as we need to fill the classrooms with more Instructors. Please feel free to contact me anytime.
    Cheers!"

What a disappointment

Interview Questions
    • We expect our part time instructors to have something else to do. We do not want them to only be working here part time. What will you be doing?   View Answer

Management Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Berlitz.

First Round interview with HR was very standard Q&A. Followed by face to face interview with the local Director. Several weeks passed without a word from either the Director or the HR interviewer. I had already moved on an accepted another position by the time they called me.

Interview Questions

They took way to long to contact me. The salary was very low.