Berlitz Japan

Updated Dec 3, 2014

2.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Berlitz Japan

English Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Berlitz Japan.

I applied online via the application form on their website. After four days they sent a pre-interview questionnaire which I returned and received a group interview invitation a couple of days after. I was not available for the next interview so had to wait a few days for the next one.

The group interview involved a presentation and then individual, short interview. You filled out some paper work while others were interviewed. They will ask questions about Berlitz in the group interview so be prepared to answer some basic background about the company just in case.

The next day I was put in touch with the LC Manager and we arranged another interview at the LC. This one was far more involved than the group interview. Because the next training session was very close they got back to me on the same day with a rejection email.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were quite varied, they brought up answers from the previous questionnaires often and asked for me to expand on those. There were also some grammar and language questions focused around business. While they said kids were their growing sector they seemed more focused on the business side of things still.   Answer Question

English Instructor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Berlitz Japan.

E-mailed the hiring manager, it took a week to get a reply. Pretty straightforward process. You have to answer a questionnaire, go through a pre-interview and then another interview with your local LC.

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Berlitz Japan in August 2014.

I applied online through GaijinPot and received an e-mail to come in for a group interview. This group interview consisted of an introduction into the company, a written task and a one-on-one interview. I received an e-mail within the next few days stating that I had a second interview, but I had to make the arrangements directly with the Manager of Instruction and District Manager at the specific Language Center (which for me was Shibuya). After the second interview, I received an e-mail stating that I was not offered a position with them.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say is the difference between teaching Italian kids as opposed to Japanese kids?
      How would you teach the difference between by and until?

Answer Question

German Instructor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Berlitz Japan.

Applied online, went to a grammar test and the interview, it was half in German, half in English. Clear process. Saw all the other applicants and we had to wait together, that created a bit of a tension.

Interview Questions
    • We teach only using German from the beginning, no Japanese allowed. How do you think can you do that?   Answer Question

Imstructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Berlitz Japan in September 2013.

Group interview where they give you a presentation on the company's profile.
    You are then asked to fill out four sheets of papers where you have to mention your location preferences, your availability, answer a few general questions, etc. You will sit down with the HR team after that. They may ask you a few personal things.
    They tell you that they will email you in ten days informing you whether you have been rejected or accpeted for the next stage of the interview which will be with the manager of the language center at the location of your choice. You may get a call within a week or so if you are hired

English Instructor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Berlitz Japan.

Handed my resume, one week later met with the supervisor and the manager for an interview. They asked me basic questions. Why are you living in Japan? How long do you see yourself here? Why do you want to work as an English instructor?

Interview Questions
    They wanted me to move closer, but I could not, so they just cut my hours and changed me to a part time employee

English Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Berlitz Japan in May 2012.

This was simple. They simply want to see that you can arrive on time and dress and act professional. The only problem was that the hiring process included a week long mandatory training session that was unpaid without guaranteeing your employment.

Interview Questions
    Only able to negotiate days, not salary or number of hours. The work-hours negotiation is only as flexible as the school you are applying to, so if you don't fit with their schedule then you will have to try at another Berlitz location.

English Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Berlitz Japan in January 2012.

There's one interview time and place per city per hiring season. It's a group information session basically with very little scope of questions. If they like your resume and cover letter you'll be invited to it along 20-30 other people. They clearly explain the package available, schedules, dress code and career potential. The HR guy wasn't terribly charming.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be happy to work split shifts, an eight hour shift with a four hour split in the middle?   View Answer

Five minute breaks between lessons isn't long enough. The pay was lower than my other offers and their dress code was too restrictive.