Berry Appleman & Leiden Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2014
Updated Aug 29, 2014

2.6

Law Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Berry Appleman & Leiden.

Simple, comfortable, quick turnaround. Interviewed by the head paralegal who was professional and cordial. I was asked a lot of questions about any previous immigration experience, no matter how insignificant.

Immigration Assistant/Paralegal Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Berry Appleman & Leiden.

Pretty straight forward process. Submitted my resume and cover letter after adding some key job descriptions and I was contacted by their HR team. Had to submit additional documents such as a writing sample, and I was then asked to schedule an in person interview.

I met with the senior associate and the senior paralegal who were looking to replace someone on their team. The interview itself was mainly behavioral, with little to no knowledge needed of immigration law. They just wanted to see if I was a right fit for their team. Also, there is a writing test after the interview which tests your analytic, grammatical, and proof-reading skills (nothing difficult).

Legal Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Berry Appleman & Leiden in January 2013.

Had an interview with the HR Coordinator and was approved to go on to the next round of interviews. After that, I was invited to interview with two attorneys about the project. No details were conveyed and very little in specifics were identified. But they just asked what type of work would I be interested in.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to get involved in Immigration work now?   View Answer

Their firm is like a sweatshop and interns aren't respected for anything other than how well they can do it the BAL way.

Legal Assistant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Berry Appleman & Leiden.

Saw an ad on craigslist, applied online, they called me in for an interview - 3 women interviewed me, asked me basic questions about my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected - just connect your resume to what they're looking for.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Berry Appleman & Leiden in August 2013.

I applied for the position off Craigslist and was contacted by an HR representative to set up an interview with 3 attorney's at the Dallas office. They all asked standard interview questions and were friendly which made the interview very natural. Then shortly after my first interview I was invited back for a second one which was with two co-workers which focused on similar standard interview questions (i.e. do you have immigration experience? Why do you want to work here? How organized are you? What's an accomplishment you are proud of?) After that I took a written assessment asking me if two things are the same or different and circle it if it's different or the same. Then I had a reading comprehension section which asked me questions about what i read. Finally, I had to circle if words were misspelled and the correct definition.

Interview Questions
    • Overall I found oddly enough the co-worker interview the most difficult since they seemed very tense.   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Berry Appleman & Leiden in October 2011.

Applied from Craigslist, contacted within a week, and interview scheduled.

BAL partner contacted my current employer before I responded to offer.

I applied online - interviewed at Berry Appleman & Leiden.

Applied through CL and spoke with HR to schedule an in person interview. Sat through 4 rounds of interviews (2 with HR and 2 with attorneys).

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Berry Appleman & Leiden in June 2010.

I learned about the opportunity through a mutual friend, but they also advertise on Craigslist. This is a good job for a recent college graduate. After submitting my resume and cover letter, I was contacted to schedule an interview. I met with two attorneys individually, as well as 2 paralegals. They basically ask you to talk about your experience and background and why you're interested in the job. They may ask you typical interview questions- nothing too scary. You don't need immigration experience, just a good academic background, interest in the job, and a good personality. Come prepared with questions for the attorneys and paralegals. You also take a straightforward test of basic legal words and spelling.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of management style do you prefer? Do you work better in a team or individually?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took a day - interviewed at Berry Appleman & Leiden in October 2011.

I was required to take a spelling assessment, where I had to circle misspelled legal terms and then circle the best definition selection out of 3 choices for each word listed. Furthermore, the assessment also judged your attention to detail, which you must decide whether two sentences listed are the same or different. In the midst of all of this, I also interviewed with about 8 different people in between finishing my assessment, which i found to be a little excessive. However, the company culture seemed very relaxed for a law firm and everyone dressed business casual. I think I interviewed well, but i did not know some of the legal jargon, which is why I think I wasn't offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • what is your favorite color, holiday, animal? Tell me a story using all 3?   View Answer

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Berry Appleman & Leiden in December 2011.

Excellent benefits but there seems to be a bad vibe.

Interview Questions

Worked for Berry Appleman & Leiden? Contribute to the Community!