Best Buy Advanced Repair Agent Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Concord, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Best Buy (Concord, NH).

Interview

This role is easier to move into from say a Consultation or Operations Agent role allowing you to know the systems involved on top of repair knowledge. If entering from external I would recommend having prior knowledge in repair process both software (viruses) and hardware - A+ cert is listed, but few have it as you would likely be better suited elsewhere with said qualifications

Interview Questions

• Be sure to allow interviewer to finish asking questions as some are 3 parts long and jumping in before they finish might be held against you. "Give an example of how you solved an issue when no one else could"   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Best Buy

Advanced Repair Agent Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Best Buy.

Interview

Process was very easy:
    -Started with a phone interview with the DCI (Geek Squad Manager); questions ranged from interests to availability
    -Was called in for an interview with one of the store managers; questions ranged from interests, length of time you see yourself being with the company, how would you explain RAM to a customer, what was an issue you experienced at a prior job and how did you resolve it
    -Final interview was with the store general manager; questions ranged from ethics issues (if you saw a coworker steal a candy bar, what would you do), to people you look up, experience you have relating to the job, and finally hourly rate for pay
    -Talked with another manager to get logistics on drug test/background test

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions, expect the usual suspects (ethical scenarios, how do you keep current with tech, what are some issues in prior job and how did you resolve them); maybe frame out someways you would describe computer parts/technologies to someone who is not tech literate.   Answer Question

Negotiation

GM will pull out a book with everybody's rates and give you a basline - feel free to say anything you want - they will probably not budge beyond a few cents.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Best Buy (Houston, TX) in July 2013.

Interview

Put in an application and a week later received a phone call to schedule me for an interview. First met with the Geek Squad "Precinct whatever". Asked many questions of what I knew about computers. Next interview I was scheduled for with the manager didn't go through as he had left early for the day. Scheduled me for 2 days later. Met him and accepted the job. I left a year later after getting my platinum badges because of better opportunity. The computer tests and learning modules are easy and some are difficult depending on if your boss wants you to get to platinum. Silver was all about computers and SOPs while gold was about wave frequencies from speakers, about televisions and refresh rates. My boss let me even take them from home and get paid.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Gave me an offer. Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Forks, ND

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Best Buy (Grand Forks, ND) in May 2013.

Interview

Was asked the basic questions like, what experience you have, etc. But also asked why you'd be a great fit for this role. What makes you stand out from the rest.

Interview Questions

• Q: "What makes you stand out from the rest of the applicants?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Best Buy (Fort Wayne, IN) in May 2013.

Interview

Asked basic questions about previous knowledge of technology repair services.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep up to date with future technological advances.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverbank, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Best Buy (Riverbank, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

You apply online and have to answer a series of ethical questions. Once submitted (and if you pass their test) you'll get a call from the admin supervisor or "lead" to schedule your 1st interview. The 1st interview will be with your direct supervisor. They will ask you a series of questions related to the job you're applying for. For me, it was the Geek Squad ARA position. I was surprised to find that the supervisor never asked me any technical questions...but quite a bit of sales related questions when it came to services that Geek Squad offers.

After this, you'll get a 2nd interview with the GM of the store. The GM's interview is about knowing the background of BBY and Geek Squad. He wants to know if you took the time to do some homework. I'd recommend studying the Wiki articles on both Best Buy and Geek Squad before this interview. The GM will ask you something like, "So tell me what you know about Best Buy?" This is when you go into your Wiki quotes of, it was founded in Minnesota by Dick Schulze in 1966 but it wasn't called Best Buy, it was called "the sound of music"....blah blah blah.

The purpose of this is because the GM wants to know if you have the "passion" to work for Best Buy and have a core concept of it's fundamentals. You'll also discuss wages and type of employment (part-time, full time). At the time of my interview, jobs weren't easy to come by and still aren't. When the GM looked at my resume and saw how much I made at my last job he said he couldn't come close to that salary. I said to him, "You pay me what you want to pay me and I'll show you how much I'm worth." Which I believe won me the job.

After the GM interview, the store will drag its feet for awhile before they call you telling you've been hired and give you the paperwork for your drug test. Instead of working for Geek Squad, they'll give you a blue shirt (while they order your Geek Squad uniform) and put you on the floor to get a feel for selling computers and dealing with the public. You'll do this anywhere from a month to 3 months depending how long it takes you to learn about Geek Squad services.

Once promoted to The Precinct, they'll put you with an experienced ARA and he/she will begin teaching you about the tools Geek Squad uses to repair computers.

Interview Questions

• Considering I was applying for a tech job to fix computers, I didn't get asked any tech questions. Only sales related questions which I found a bit odd. I thought they would want to be sure I knew what I was doing when it came to repairing computers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Geek Squad agents make more than Blue shirts do. So you'll have that as an advantage but remember, you can be put on the floor selling if you can't hack it in the Precinct.