Best Buy

Getting the Interview

113 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Reno, NV

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, and got a call about a week later. They asked me if I was still interested in the job, and what my availability was. Scheduled an interview for a few days later, and the first interview was really quick, about 10 minutes. Afterwards he asked if I could come in the next day for another interview. I did and after a couple questions was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult, what caught me off guard was the expectations of working with the company.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Wasn't really a negotiation...I said I'd be willing to work for 8.25/hr but he said they'll be starting me out at more.

Cashier Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – You will receive a phone interview and if you pass that interview you will then be set up with 1-2 more interviews.

Interview Question – What did you dislike about your last employer.   Answer Question

Peoria, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Best Buy in April 2012.

Interview Details – Fill the app out online, I came in for an interview and did one with two assistant managers, the GM was on vacation and I was hired on the spot for Sales Support, Came in for orientation and got to be a cashier instead because they liked me so much. Basic interview process.

Interview Question – Standard STAR questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, it was my first job.

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in May 2012.

Interview Details – No Comment.

Interview Question – How many palm trees are there in Florida?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Bismarck, ND

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in August 2010.

Interview Details – 3 interviews. Phone interview: asked for availability, can you work Black Friday/Days before & after Christmas (automatic NO if you said you couldn't). 2nd Interview with one of the store's supervisors, very basic interview questions. Last interview with the general manager about store expectations, goals, sales expectations, wage. Offered the job on the spot. Once you are hired you had a 4 hour long meeting with one of the supervisors where you sat and listened to them talk about Best Buy, its history, watch videos. Horrible. Then got a tour of the store and back rooms. Before you could do much you had to complete tons of online trainings and most didn't apply since I was a cashier but you had to do them anyway.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was how you have gone above and beyond for a customer at a past job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered $7.50 an hour which was more than I was being paid at my previous minimum wage job.

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in May 2011.

Interview Details – 1:1 interview. Basic questions, tell me your greatest strength and weakeness, why should I hire you.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to help someone, and it can't be a customer.   View Answer

Interviewed at Best Buy

Interview Details – It was pretty straightforward. I had a phone interview with the hiring person, then an interview with a manager, then with the general manager.

Interview Question – Sell me these batteries.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I was paid $8.50/hr

Very Easy Interview

Syracuse, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Best Buy in April 2011.

Interview Details – The back office lead contacted me and did a screening process over the phone. I then met with the GM, and another manager, and I was offered the job the same day.

Interview Question – When was a time you absolutely could not work with your team?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, the starting pay was more than I expected/more than minimum wage.

Very Easy Interview

Southfield, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and recieved a phone call the next day. They asked if I could come in 3 hours from then. I came in and talked to one of the floor manager. They asked me questions about why I wanted to work there, where I work now, what I was expecting from the job. Why did I choose this perticular time to apply. He then said that I would meet with the GM the next day.

I talked to the GM, she really did not ask me interview questions. She just wanted to know more about me and she wanted to know what position did I truly want. We spent the next 20 minutes talking about video games and pay.

She offered me the job and said that I have to take a drug test and would start as soon as they recieved the results.

Interview Question – None of the questions were hard. I would say the hardest question would have to deal with my main job and not this one.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – applied online through their website, got a call to schedule an interview about 2 weeks later. Scheduled the interview for the next day. Was interviewed by 2 managers and was offered the position on the spot starting at $9.50. They asked me how much I wanted to be paid and I replied I was open. They asked me how much I had made at my previous theater job which was $8 and he offered to pay me $9.50. Friendly interview. They asked why I wanted to work at Best Buy, what experience I had at my previous jobs, what I liked most about those jobs, what I found the hardest, what good customer service is.

Interview Question – asked what my favorite song and movie was.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Best Buy

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy Cashier interview questions and advice. All 113 interview reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees and interview candidates.