Best Buy Computer Sales Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

9 interviews

2.2

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Computer Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in June 2014.

I had mutiple interviews with Best Buy. Ill run through all of them.

First Interview: Over the phone, basic questions like "How would you rate Best Buy?". Simple non-personal questions.

Second Interview: In store, with either HR or Manager of the department. That is where they ask the more personal questions. Ill list a few.
     Name a time when you went the extra mile for somebody.
     Name a time when you had to work with somebody you didn't like.
     Name a time when you had to do something on your own without guidance.

Third Interview: With the GM, pretty easy. As far as I could tell, he had already made up his mind because he didn't ask me any questions related to myself.

Interview Questions
  • Name a negative quality about yourself.   View Answer

Coulnd't handle required times and school.

Other Interview Reviews for Best Buy

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Midland, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Best Buy in September 2013.

there were 4 long months for me to get through the entire process, more than I expected. Was very unsatisfied with the way their hiring process worked.. No one in the store had communication and were not "FIT" for the job in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    I had previous family members that worked at BestBuy before I applied. I talked to them and asked them, do you think it would be good for me to work there? They did not agree in other words they said, management is poor there and they left because of issues with the GM, I was unfortunate to hear that but despite of that i told my self, I have been wanting to work for this company for the longest time now and now i have the chance to show my expertise and prove i can do this. When i got called for the interview (which took about a month and a half for them to contact me) i talked to the GM and he told me that maybe I should apply for a different position. He gave me 3 other positions to apply for, I went home sorta upset because i thought i was getting the job that day.. Went home applied for all 3 positions he told me to apply to. Got a second call about 2 weeks later, another interview was scheduled. Showed up and I was interviewed by a different manager this time. This time he told me someone would contact me for the 3rd time and that would determine if weather or not i was going to get hired or not. About 1 month went by and I lost confidence in getting the job.. it took them about 5 weeks for them to call me again. Got the job was happy but not with the process.

Computers Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in July 2011.

The interview process consists usually of 3 interviews (4 if you include the phone interview). Although during seasonal hiring, I have seen as little as 1 or 2 interviews before hiring.Online application including personality test is very easy. Received a call after a week, asked 2 questions over the phone. Set up for interview 3 days later in the store. First interview with department supervisor was basic questions like tell me about yourself, why do you want to work for best buy, tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision, what did you do and why, etc. They like detail in your answers. I was asked a couple computer questions, nothing too technical, but something along the lines of how would you go about finding out what kind of computer a customer would need. I left the interview saying I would hear from them within 5 days. I received a call 2 days later asking for me to come in the next day for a second interview. Second interview with sales manager/assistant manager (supervisor's superior) had many more questions centered towards personality. Lots of "tell me about a time when...". The manager who interviewed me did a test where he asked me to get him talking about himself, to learn more about him. (he clearly wants you to ask open-ended questions to get him talking). I asked him to tell me about himself, his family, his career, etc. He liked my questions. After, he told me that not every manager does that. He said he thought I would be a great fit, and asked me when I was available for a 3rd interview with the general manager. I had an interview 10 days later with the GM, as he was on vacation. He asked me a few repeat questions, asked me about my availability, and offered me the job. He gave me the paperwork for the drug test, and sent me on my way. You only have a couple days to take the drug test, so make sure you pay attention to the date. I took my drug test the next day. Unfortunately, the GM did not warn me to bring my prescriptions with me to the drug testing facility. I take adderall which appears on the drug test as an amphetamine. After a week the facility called me and asked me if I took an prescriptions as my drug test came back positive. I said I did, but they could not accept this information at that time, they said I had to call back and leave my prescription information on their special prescription line voicemail. After another 4 days I hadn't heard anything. I called the facility and they said they hadn't received a voicemail. I had to repeat the process again by calling the prescription line, 3 days later I received a call from a doctor who got my message and asked me to fax a copy of my prescription. 2 days later I heard back from him saying I was all clear. I called best buy, and said I was all clear, but that information had not made it back to them yet, they still had a failed drug test in their system. After convincing them it was a prescription and they changed it, they said it would probably take a couple days. 2 days later the best buy hiring manager called me back to setup my start date. My start date was about 3 weeks later. Was smooth sailing from there. However, this whole process took almost 2 months from application to start date. May not recommend to someone who needs a job immediately.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult job related decision, that may not have turned out for the best. What did you do and why? What would you change about what you did?   Answer Question
    I didn't really negotiate, as I was told that this was the base pay that everyone started at.

Computer Sales Associate Interview

Went through 4 group interviews over 2 days, was not a hard interview, asked the typical interview questions such as "tell me about a time you...." and asked about our level of technology experience to match us with the correct department. they gave us a choice between the different departments. computers is definitely the hardest and where they push sales the hardest. the other departments such as media and home theater were much easier to get attachments to sales

Interview Questions
    • I honestly cannot remember a specific question, overall the questions were fair and if you have any experience interviewing then you should be fine. just be eager and show that you are willing to learn from them and want to sell well. thats what they care about.   Answer Question
    asked me if 9 an hour was ok, and at the time i didnt know but that is very good for a first time hourly worker.

Computer Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy in June 2013.

Applied online and took the lengthy personality test. Was called for an interview about 2 days later. Showed up 20 minutes early and had to end up waiting for an hour for the manager to finally show up at work. Simple questions asking about upselling and what you know about computers (they don't want you to know much). Was told I would hear back within the week if I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about kitchen appliances.   View Answer

Computer Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interviewed with the supervisor, then the manager of the department, and finally the Manager for a job offer. Rather simple, so long as you were engaged and showing passion, you should be ok.

Interview Questions
    Very little negotiation. Depends on the manger if they will even tolerate it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saugus, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saugus, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Best Buy in May 2012.

I applied online, but didn't receive any call. So I decided to go talk to the manager. She gave me an 1:1 interview. After the interview they gave me a second interview. I think if you get a second interview and don't screw that up, you're guaranteed a job. The questions are pretty easy. On first interview the questions were: (1) Tell me about urself, (2) Why should we hire you? (3)Tell me about a time you had to deal with an angry customer, (4)Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer.

For 2nd interview the questions were: (1) If you saw an employee stealing how'd you deal with that? (2) Describe your ideal work situation (3) Describe your ideal boss.

As long as you're confident and show an interest in the company you'll be hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2009.

I applied and they called me two weeks later. I had a little phone interview asking why I should be hired, and what position I wanted to work in. Then I had a one-on-one interview with Operations Manager (cashier), and he asked all the basic questions like what three words best described me, what were my weaknesses and strengths, and what would I do with an angry customer. The third interview was with the General Manager, and if you get this far you're basically hired. He asked more or less of the same questions, but he also asked about stealing. Always say that the person should be terminated no matter what. I had a background check and took a drug test. Just be very outgoing and prepare your answers beforehand.

Computer Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  St. Catharines, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in St. Catharines, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy in August 2011.

Was in a very noisy environment. Some of the staff were walking around and making jokes with the interviewer. Kind of nerve racking maybe for some people. The questions were very easy and only required you to standardly answer them. Nothing too special about the interview.

None

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!