Best Buy

Getting the Interview

16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – friendly interviewers, streamlined process to get all paperwork and drug test completed

Interview Question – why do you want to work here   Answer Question

Marysville, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Best Buy in November 2012.

Interview Details – After applying online, i was contacted by phone in just two days. I wasn't aware but the phone call was an impromptu interview of about 4 questions. Such as if you're still interested in working for us, would you be available right away, and can you work weekends. After they are satisfied, they will you usually call you back later, either immediately or within a couple days. When you're in-store for the interview, you will usually be with one manager who asks what you would do if you had an angry customer, what would you do about employee fraud/theft how would you handle this situation, or that situation etc. If they like you, they will have the gm or store manager come in to see you. This may be immediately or again in a couple days (immediately if you're interviewing for holidays positions, later if its any other time of year). The gm asks a few more questions but is generally pulled in because they want to hire you, and then they go over your pay and when they will hire you from there.

Interview Question – Situational questions. They are easier than you think! Go with your gut.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This is where i wish i had argued my starting wage a little more. It's really your only opportunity, because after that yearly raises are never over 50 cents. And they flat out tell you the best way to get paid more is to get a promotion. Their hands must be tied on metrics and numbers from up above on this.

Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Best Buy in April 2009.

Interview Details – One on one interviews, usually 2 resulting in a final with the general manager. Background check and drug test on e position and salary are accepted. Starting work in about 3-5day maybe sooner if seasonal.

Interview Question – How do you deal with a difficult customer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, they told me the max and I accepted.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Service Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Best Buy in September 2012.

Interview Details – Applied and got a call back a couple days later. They gave me an interview with a manager. I was very friendly and always smiled. After the first interview I got a call back a few hours later, telling me to interview with the GM. Had to pass drug and background check.

Fairview Heights, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in May 2013.

Interview Details – Was called a few weeks after applying online. Had a short phone interview that was basically "do you still want this job?" Was invited to a standard interview with a store manager. Went to the interview, the manager I spoke to was nice, and he read a very simple and straight-forward paper of questions regarding my previous experience and why I felt qualified for the job. He seemed confident in my abilities and invited me to have another interview with the regional manager. The regional manager was very concerned with my sales abilities and decided against hiring me because of their strict sales policies.

Interview Question – "Why do you think working at Best Buy will be different from your previous sales job?"   View Answer

Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2012.

Interview Details – it was very easy process, at first i had a phone interview, a lady called me and asked me few questions, why Best Buy, what experience you have, what department you prefer to work, after I passed the phone interview she sat a time for face to face interview, 2 days later i went to the store and had my interview, the guy that did the interview was really cool and very kind guy and he really like all of my answers, most of the question were about the experience !
he asked me 6 questions
Tell me abt yourself, your work experience and why you choose best buy.
what you Really like about Best Buy !
name a time when you worked in a group.
name a time when your were really effective in your group.
name a time when you went beyond for a customer.
name a time when you helped an angry customer.
name a time when you worked in an area wich you didnt have any previous information about it.
It was very easy and friendly interview and he told me that my answers were great, he Highlighted my name for the Store manager and I have my next interview on Friday !

Interview Question – Name a time when your were really effective at your work !   View Answer

Braintree, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in March 2011.

Interview Details – I got a phone call to ask some simple question like availability for working and flexibility. Then we scheduled an interview with one of the store managers. The call lasted about 5-10 minutes. I arrived at the interview 30 minutes early, so I walked around the store until it was time for the interview. I spent over an hour walking around the stores talking to employees, some who I had known. The interviewer was late by more than 40 minutes. When we started interviewing, he seemed distant and uninterested in what I had to say. It seemed as though they had already found a person for the job and had to get the interview over with. Admittingly I had very few experience in retail but his blanent lack of concern was unnecessary.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Miami, FL

The process took a day - interviewed at Best Buy in November 2011.

Interview Details – They called me up asked if i could make it in i said yes. I went in that day, sat down with a manager and someone else they asked me the basic questions and i never heard back from them. He told me hed rather put me in Geek Squad but had no openings at the time.

Interview Question – One time when you felt you excelled.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2011.

Interview Details – I was asked scenario based questions that mostly dealt with integrity in the workplace. Example, should an employee be reported for taking a stick of gum. I was also asked about my previous job experience, how I deal with conflict and why do I want to work for this company.

Interview Question – why do you want to work for Best Buy   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Just tell them what you want. Be honest from the beginning

West Hartford, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in June 2011.

Interview Details – I first had a phone interview and was asked to come in for an interview. Went to that one. She asked basic customer service questions. She emphasized a lot on how best buy is all about customer service and getting the customers to come back. At the end of the interview, she offered me the position and said I will be meeting with the GM to confirm everything. I met with the GM and he asked me questions about if I saw a friend stealing what would I do? The answer they want is that you would rat them out. GM offered me the position and told me to do a drug test and I will get a call when the results came in.

Interview Question – how would you respond to an upset customer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The GM asked me about my pay and I told him anything higher than my last job and he offered a dollar more.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Best Buy

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy Customer Service Associate interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees and interview candidates.