Best Buy

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in May 2010.

Interview Details – Online applications only, make sure you follow up with the store or you probably won't get a phone call. First there's a phone interview, then a supervisor face to face interview, and a general manager interview. Pretty standard questions about how you have fixed a problem, or why should we hire you, etc.

Interview Question – Describe a problem you had to overcome and how did you do it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You will either get an offer during the GM interview or after. They will ask you what rate you want and if you undershoot, they will just give it to you. So be sure to find out what is appropriate for the area.

Mount Juliet, TN

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Best Buy in November 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview and a 1-on-1 interview. Most people have a phone interview and 3 1-on-1 interviews. However, they were needing people ASAP for Black Friday at the time, so I was lucky. Drug test. Background check.

Interview Question – What is a problem that you had to overcome and how did you overcome it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – He offered me the job on the spot. He gave me paperwork to fill out and told me to get my drug test. I started working less than a week later.

Customer Specialist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Best Buy in June 2010.

Interview Details – Two interview, the department manager, then the general manager

Interview Question – How would you sell me this note book?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't attempt to negotiate my salary

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in March 2009.

Interview Details – There are three interviews the third one means you got the job and just have to pass the drug test.

Interview Question – What's the most difficult task you've had to handle without any managers to help you?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Best Buy in June 2009.

Interview Details – Submit online application
Phone screening
1-3 in-person interviews with store managers

Each interview takes about 30 minutes. They ask about 10 interview questions in addition to you giving some background on yourself, why you want the job, and what your availability is. Some questions are about personal achievements, conflict resolution, or situations where you overcame an obstacle.

Hiring process can take between 1 and 3 weeks. Keep in mind that they get upwards of 100 applications a week. You can call the store to have them look at your application, but they get annoyed when you call incessantly. Often the hiring manager has other responsibilities in the store, especially if you are applying for a seasonal position during the holidays.

Interview Question – Attitude toward theft: they will give a specific situation   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Your minimum salary you select in the online application usually determines your starting pay. But, if you put too high a minimum salary you will not be called for an interview.

Omaha, NE

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Best Buy in September 2011.

Interview Details – I was streamlined a bit having my girlfriend already employed at the store, but the interview process is a mandatory 3 step. first is a phone interview followed by a mid level management interview followed by the general manager interview and final step. Yuo're given a blue folder if you're going to get the job.

Interview Question – Mostly they ask about past experiences resolving customer difficulties and your customer service ability, as well as if you have made any improvements to your current work environment   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, wages are dictated based on experience, languages spoken, and length of time with the company.

Fort Collins, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Best Buy in July 2012.

Interview Details – You first get a phone interview. This was easy for me, as they hardly interviewed me at all!

Second is an interview with the manager or supervisor in charge of the department you want to go in. They ask you integrity questions and ask about your past work experience. Pretty standard here.

Third in an interview with the Store Manager. This is almost a repeat of Interview 2, but this time you leave with a job or a rejection.

Interview Question – There was nothing difficult about this interview.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. $9/hr is fine for being a cashier with 0 sales experience, especially with a promise to move me up the sales ladder once I was trained.

Customer Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Best Buy in November 2010.

Interview Details – Really easy, answer a few basic questions, and show them you aren't the thieving type.

Interview Question – When was a time when you pushed the envelope?   Answer Question

Customer Specialist

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Best Buy in May 2010.

Interview Details – Applied on the Best Buy website and completed a basic personality test. Called for an interview the next day. Interviewed with an assistant manager who asked basic questions about my background and how I would act in various situations. Called back later that day for an interview with the general manager. He asked questions about availability, goals, and personal integrity. Hired on the spot.

Interview Question – Describe a time that you were in a leadership position. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Best Buy

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy Customer Specialist interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees and interview candidates.