Best Buy

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Raleigh, NC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was actually offered the interview over the phone. I scheduled a day and time that worked best for me and them to meet with the Geek Squad department manager. The day of the interview consisted of me walking in and sitting for about 15 minutes in the home theater department waiting to be interviewed. The guy who interviewed me was laid back and very chill and just asked a few questions regarding my previous work experience, what I am currently doing, working on a team, and etc. Pretty much the questions were common sense and sell yourself. After that he asked told me they do not generally start people off with Geek Squad, instead, you have to work your way up. He told me to come back in within two days to for a second interview with the general manager. The general manager was generally nice but just seemed like a typical jerk right off the bat when he started asking me basic questions pertaining to my schedule and my current job. He did like what I had to say about myself during the interview when it came to questions like customer service.

Interview Question – If you caught an employee stealing from the company, how should the company deal with the employee?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Instead of offering me the Geek Squad job I applied for and instead of offering me the job in the electronics department like I hoped as a second option, he offered me an stocking inventory position. That was definitely not what I had in mind.

Altoona, PA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Best Buy in April 2012.

Interview Details – I currently work for Best Buy as a salesman in the computers department. I applied for a Geek Squad position that I am extremely overqualified for. They did not ask a single question pertaining to my knowledge in the IT field. Every question that was asked was extremely open ended and dry. The positions in the Altoona Best Buy go by how much the managers like you, not how qualified you are for the job or how much you know.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you were on a team.   Answer Question

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Best Buy in June 2010.

Interview Details – I went in for an interview at 10 am and had to wait for almost twenty minutes after my scheduled time for the interviewer to arrive. She claimed that traffic had prevented her from being on time. She asked me 5 questions, none of which had anything to do with the job, and then had me write down answers on a printed off interview questionaire for her so she didn't have to write it down herself. She excused herself while I was writing, and when I finished, she came back, took the papers, and said they would call by the end of the week if I were hired. I never heard from them.

Interview Questions

• describe a time when you had a difficult time with a customer. what did you do? what was the end result?   Answer Question
  • How would you describe your strengths/weaknesses?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy in August 2009.

Interview Details – First part was a phone interview with basic questions of why I would be the ideal candidate for both Best Buy and Geek Squad. I simply stated my experience in the field as a customer service representative. My past had a track record of 95% very satisfied or better ratings with my customers and the way I dealt with customers in a professional and polite manner. As well as my ability to listen, comprehend, and articulate solutions to people’s problems..

Interview Questions

• What makes you the ideal person to work at Best Buy?   View Answer
  • What makes you the ideal person to work with Geek Squad?   View Answer

Geek Squad

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in June 2010.

Interview Details – My friend got me the interview for Geek Squad, basically we skipped the initial phone interview, went straight to the dept interview where I was asked customer service questions but absolutely no tech questions, this went well, the Geek Squad manager seemed like a really cool chill guy, but made sure I was right for the job, at the end of the interview he told me I had his approval, I then had a second "interview" with the GM a week later, this was not really an interview and he only asked me why I wanted to work there and what I thought should be done with employees caught stealing, I answered these questions and was offered a job, I then had to take a drug test, and got a call back to start my orientation the next week.

Interview Question – Give me an example of how you gained trust with a customer.   Answer Question

Geek Squad

The process took a day - interviewed at Best Buy in June 2010.

Interview Details – Best Buy called me the day after I applied online to be in the Geek Squad. On the phone, it was a guy who seemed mean and not happy about his job. He asked me some questions like "What other position would you want if you had to pick something else?" and "How many hours can you work when school starts?". I guess I passed the phone interview, and he told me to come in the store for the in person interview.

At the store, I met the interviewer in a room in the back. He was the same guy from the phone call and had the bad personality I felt when he called me, and he did not smile at all. He just asked a bunch of serious questions like "Tell me about a time when you worked on a team." "Tell me why you want to work here." "Tell me about a time when you had to do something that you didn't know how." "Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond what you were asked to do." This took about 10-20 minutes. He said he would call back in a couple days, but he never did.

Interview Question – Let's say if we hired you, and you were on break with another employee... he gets a drink, let's say worth about $1.10, and drinks it, then throws it away. What do you do?   View Answers (3)

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!