Best Buy

Getting the Interview

14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Joliet, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Best Buy in September 2010.

Interview Details – The entire interview process took 3 weeks. The first interview appointment was postponed by the HR representative. This caused the first interview to take pace during my lunch hour. This interview was conducted by two people from the district staff. There was a follow up call two days later. I then was scheduled for an interview that I had to drive over 2 hours to get to. The interview was with the District manager. The interview lasted aprox. 20 minutes. I got a call offering me a job the next day.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you had to implement a new process in your job that you weren't totally bought into.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straight forward, not much negotiating.

Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – Can take up to weeks to get called interviewed and hired. Hiring process is based on the district you are applying for and the competence of the Human Resources department. Each district can ask different questions and have a whole different process.

Interview Question – Basic tell me a time when questions. All Behavioral and specific.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Novi, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in March 2012.

Interview Details – always a panel interview very intense

Interview Question – 30 second commercial for yourself   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

General Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – Panel interview consisting of District Manager, District HR, other district staff members and current GMs.

Interview Question – The interview is pretty standard. Most questions are based around typical retail scenarios, team building and Best Buy's turnaround story.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary is based on current compensation prior to accepting job offer as well as other things such as store size, location, etc...

Interviewed at Best Buy

Interview Details – Phone, + 2 in-person interviews. One will be 1:1, one will be a panel interview.

Interview Question – Take us through a time when you were challenged between doing what is right, and/or what is necessary to be successful.   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in January 2012.

Interview Details – Be prepared for multiple interviewers, Be prepared to speak to and give examples of customer experiences good and bad. Training rhythms of coaching teams and driving performance. also awareness around shrink and supply ordering

Interview Question – None come to mind   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Depends on market/State

Very Easy Interview

California, PA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy in January 2009.

Interview Details – Very casual and carefree interviewing process
Fond of panel interviews

Negotiation Details – came in at 45,000.00 worked up to 65,000.00

Cincinnati, OH

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Best Buy in January 2008.

Interview Details – usually a panel interview with gms and district staff

Interview Question – how much experience do you have with a P&L?   View Answer

Denver, CO

I applied through other source - interviewed at Best Buy in February 2008.

Interview Details – Panel interview including several GM peers in the district and the district staff. All behavioral based questions for aptitude and level of thought. If your results are not in line, you will not even get an interview, so memorizing numbers is pointless. You should know the status of the store you are going for. It is all "Tell me about a time..." If you are not already assuming the role ahead of time and an active member of the district community, you will not be considered.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when your business unit was not succeeding. What happened, and what did you do about it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. If you ask for more, you will be told the system auto generates your offer based on your previous pay. This is not true, and internals do usually get low balled compared to outside hires.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Best Buy in June 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was in front of a panel of GMs and DMs. There were a series of select questions in which based on your answer would generate follow up questions. The interviews can be tough and is used to validate your experience and knowledge. You are then given feedback after a couple of days regardless if you didnt the position.

Interview Question – What is your role in the shrink culture in the store?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Best Buy

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy General Manager interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees and interview candidates.