Best Buy

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Home Theater Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in June 2014.

Interview Details – It is a 3 step one on one interview with three different people. You have a Phone interview with the hiring manager. The second one is with one of the assistant manager. The last one is the one with the General manager of the store and if you make it to this point you have to job. If they don't bring up the pay and what not at the end of this interview than you didn't get it.

Interview Question – Is it ever right to steal?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation if I was you I'd put $10 an hour on your application so you can negotiate better I didn't know that until later.

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Best Buy in July 2010.

Interview Details – It was a two step interview first was with the department manager and the last one with the GM. The first inter view was more about my sales experience and my knowledge. The second interview was with the GM and was to find out how I worked well with others and if I was goal oriented.

Interview Question – Was asked to role play in selling a product or service.   View Answer

Home Theater Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – Pretty easy interview. A phone interview followed by 3 in person interviews. The process takes too long as you meet with the department supervisor. Next with the customer service manager. Lastly with the general manager.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Santa Clarita, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a call that week about a "job fair". I was confused over the phone and simply asked if I was being interviewed or not? They said yes but kept calling it a "job fair"? I've been to job fairs before where multiple companies and businesses are gathered to promote and find new employees. What this really ended up being was the biggest line for a 3 portion part interview. There were probably around 40-55 people roughly that showed up is what it felt like. Luckily I was one of the first in line (get there early).

The interview was 3 parts that took place within 45min to an hour. The first step was a simple basic interview which I kinda saw as a personality and down to earth test. The 2nd was in the back stock area where the tone was much much more serious. They looked at my resume each time and they asked me about my audio background and stuff like that. It was seen that I would be a good fit for their Home Theater/ Car Fi department. I was shocked cause I only applied for cashier, although honored.

Last interview was with the store manager, somewhat re-asking similar interview questions from the first 2. He gave me the offer for seasonal Home Theater and I accepted.

Only thing was I had to reapply as Home Theater but no big deal

Interview Question – How do you keep up with technology?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Seasonal. Just given a paper of the general offer with the pay amount on it

Home Theater Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – You interview with HT manager first and then if they like you, you interview with the GM for the position

Interview Question – Knowing what things you do know about technology compared to the manager and other employees   View Answer

Valley Stream, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in July 2012.

Interview Details – I filled out a questionaire online and then about 4 days later was called to set up an interview. Had interview with one of the assistant mangers and was asked to come back to have a meeting with the general manager. Was asked to take a drug test and once the results came in I had orientation. Took several online trainings and then shadowed some co workers on the sales floor. It was a great work environment, second home.

Interview Question – A situation where I had to set up and take leadership?   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy in April 2012.

Interview Details – I went in before I applied and introduced myself to the manager of the computer department, which I now know is called PCHO. I asked if I could possibly get an interview with them sometime and they referred me to applying online, which I expected but I just wanted to get my self recognizable. I then applied online and called in the next day and asked if they had received my application. They told me that they were too busy to look for applications at the time so they told me to call back at a "non-peak" hour, which is usually 4-8pm weekdays. I called back at the recommended times and got the same response about 4 times. About a week later I got a call from the Home Theater manager asking if I was still interested and then proceeded with the "phone interview" which is basically a series of questions that determine wether or not I even am worth their time coming in for a real interview. I passed the phone interview and he told me to come in on a set date (3 days later). I then interviewed with the same manager that I spoke over the phone. Interview went well and asked many questions. Roughly regarding customer interactions. The main thing that they wanted me to say was that I should make the customer happy and provide them with the complete solution. Then the second, person-to-person, interview was with his direct manager. He asked me the exact same questions, same experience, then they passed me on to the general manager, mind you that each of the interviews were two days apart, he was nice and asked me the same kind of questions that the other two managers did only with more criticism. Apparently I impressed him and was offered the job right there at their base pay.

Interview Question – There was a situation were I had to treat the interviewer as if they were a friend of mine, and carry on a conversation about my favorite movie.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The offer was firm. even though I expected less.

Very Easy Interview

San Jose, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Best Buy in November 2012.

Interview Details – Very laid back. Very easy questions. Do not expect an intense interview process.

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, take it or leave it.

Very Easy Interview

Home Theater Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Best Buy in April 2011.

Interview Details – I got a phone call on a Saturday, maybe about a week after I applied, which I thought was pretty great. I didn't realize it was supposed to be a phone interview, I just thought it was a lengthy conversation to set up my first interview! Clearly it went well because I was scheduled for Monday with an assistant manager. He seemed to really like me because he told me that he would pass this on to the general manager and I would hear from them within 48 hours. They didn't even wait that long to call me back, they called me as I was on my way home! The interview with the GM lasted about 10 minutes and she gave me an offer on the spot. Originally I had been interviewing for a customer service representative, but the GM decided to put me on the sales floor instead.

Overall, I enjoyed the interview process and it's made me excited to start this new job.

Interview Questions

• What should the punishment be for an employee caught stealing, even if it was only a soda?   View Answer
  • How would you go about serving a customer's needs?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I may have been able to negotiate, but I really chose not to. I asked for $9 on my application, and they gave me $10, and either of those would have been a nice step up from $8.25 at my current job. They pay pretty competitively for a retail job.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Best Buy

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy Home Theater Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees and interview candidates.