Best Buy

Relevance Date Difficulty

General Manager Interview

General Manager

Interviewed at Best Buy

Interview Details – There was a panel interview with other local GM's and District employees. Behavior questions explain the situation, action and results. You sit directly across from them which make it feel like a firing line.

Interview Question – Explain a difficult situation, why was it difficult what did you do and nope looking back how would you handle it   Answer Question

Geek Squad, Operations Agent Interview

Geek Squad, Operations Agent
Dover, DE

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in January 2014.

Interview Details – Expect a 3-part interview for any Best Buy position. Phone screening (which happened very soon after the initial application done online), in person with a store manager, and then an in person with the general manager. All the usual basic questions given in any retail interviews (What would you do if...?). Originally applied for loss prevention, ended up being offered a geek squad position to better match my experience.

Interview Question – What would you do if you seen someone snatch an item in plain view and walk out of the store?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Personal availability changed between initial application and job offer which required full availability so I had to decline

Sales Transaction Assistant Interview

Sales Transaction Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – The First interview with a supervisor or assistant manager, second interview with general manager when they normally hire you. Drug test is required. There is a list of questions that they MUST ask and generally follow.

Very Difficult Interview

Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) Interview

Geek Squad, Agent (CIA)
Union, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Best Buy in July 2014.

Interview Details – Terrible and unorganized, was scheduled for a 3pm interview and showed up an hour early to wait until that time and then having someone tell me the hr manager isn't here cause he left early.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – Process can take a few weeks from the initial contact to setting up interview. Interview is done with a panel consisting of General Manager, District Manager, Human Resources District Manager and potentially others. Interviews are done at the store or district office and take around an hour to complete. They ask general questions around business acumen and rate on the sheet they utilize. Bring resume and something showing your capabilities as a leader (30-60-90 etc)

Interview Question – What is the biggest problem facing the consumer electronics business today?
Tell me about a time when you failed at a business objective?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate.

Inventory Associate Interview

Inventory Associate

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – The process was fairly easy. It took two weeks including the phone interview, and an interview with the general manager. The phone interview was nothing really. They only asked about my availability. The on-site interviews went good. The one with the GM had some personality and behavioral questions:
-Tell me about any experience, education that qualifies you for this position?
-Describe the worst team you had to work with?
-Describe a time you disagreed with someone at work?
-Describe a time you went above and beyond for a customer?
-What would you do if someone steals?
-What kind of manager is your ideal manager?
It’s easy if you gave precise answers and made sure what he's aiming to know about your personality.

Interview Question – There wasn't really a hard question, just make your responses clear and be relaxed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Don't get frustrated as they will you few as you start, probably 10 or 11, but as soon as you finish the training and get used to it, it may reach 15.

Inventory Specialist Interview

Inventory Specialist
Long Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and recieved a call for an interview with the departmant supervisor a couple days later. Then recieved a call for a second interview with the assistant manager/department manager. Final interview was with the General Manager and was repeating simple questions, he offered the job on the spot starting at 10/hr, the job offer was printed and with him the entire time.
You then have to complete a drug and background check.

Interview Question – Mostly "tell me about yourself" or why do you want to work here?
Explain a time when....
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, but I didn't try

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and filled out a questionnaire. I got a call back about three weeks later and was scheduled for an in person interview. I was interview by both the store manager and assistant manager at the same time. Easy going, funny people with no interview questions out of the ordinary. Was offered the job right on the spot.

Interview Question – "describe a time when..."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was asking for 9.32 and was offered 10.50

Asset Protection Associate Interview

Asset Protection Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Best Buy in July 2014.

Interview Details – Very fast process. I First applied online and received a phone interview the following day. Phone interview consisted of availability questions and past job experiences. After the phone interview I was then invited to come in the same day to the store for a 1:1 interview. I arrived at the store and one of the store manager conducted the interview and asked questions about theft and customer service experience. After the interview I was then told that he would see if the GM is available at the moment for a 2nd interview. Turns out the GM wasn't available and was told to come in the following morning for the interview where I was then hired.

Interview Question – What are your thoughts on an employee committing theft?   Answer Question

Home Theater Sales Associate Interview

Home Theater Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – First you would have an interview then, you would have a second or sometimes they will skip to the third. be prepared to look nice. I saw on guy next to me that had jeans and a t-Shirt, they told to go home. Drug screening will be after they hire you.

Interview Question – Why did you choose best buy? What can you bring to Best Buy? They will ask questions about technological features for example a phone, TV, computers etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They took my offer, but it never hurts to try.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!