Best Buy

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
1,553 candidate interviews

Sales Associate

The process took a day - interviewed at Best Buy in February 2008.

Interview Details – I arrived on time, but they took a very very long time to actually interview me. I mean like an hour and a half.. they asked alot of difficult questions that i wasnt even prepared for. they told me about the hiring and interview process. the manager was very mean rude and pressuring

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Phoenix, AZ

The process took a day - interviewed at Best Buy in June 2008.

Interview Details – You have to fill out an application on a computer inside the store or online, take a personality test,and they will call to setup an interview time.

The interview was done a while ago, but from what I remember it was quite strange and provocative. The typical interview questions such as tell me about yourself, what can you do for this company, educational background, customer service questions are asked.

When it comes to the specific questions thats where things went south. My interviewer was a lady and she was tired because I was the last one to be interviewed for the day. She wanted to know what I knew about electronics, especially computers.What do you know about computers? What is your speciality in this area? I told her I knew a lot about wireless routers and networking giving her specific details. She then kept asking me the same questions over and over not statisified with any answer I gave her. I told her I knew about video cards, computer programs, etc., but she did not care. Apparently, I could tell she was already rolling her eyes and wanting to be out of there for the day. She was not even listening to what I was saying. I probably had the worst interview exprience since I started applying for jobs. I already knew things did not go well and she stopped asking questions after that. But I did ask her about what the position does. You wont be staying in oner area for long so they will switch you around to either the computers to games, etc. They want you to know about a lot of the stuff they sell and be an outgoing person.

Make sure you do your homework before the interview. Make sure you know things about computers, PC games, Iphone, Apple, DVDs, Music, hardware, Tvs, cash register, customer service, etc. They like you to troubleshoot problems with electronics.

Also, I had a different experience than what most people would have had. My interview became difficult, but others may have had a a better experience. Look at others and see what has changed. Mine was done a few years back.

Representative -1 Interview

Representative -1

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in August 2010.

Interview Details – This was probably the most extensive Interview process i went through. They really want the top 1% of the candidate pool. So i first applied online, YOU MUST pass the personality test to even qualify for the next process. (the employer's hiring person goes onto the computer and finds the ones that passed. its threee different bars, Green- good to go for next process, yellow-backup if green level candidates do not make it, and red- Failed and application is automatically deleted.) Then the hiring person makes the inital phone interview. They are usually instructed to pick 2 or maybe 3 out of a pool of 10. ( so make sure you do the best.) From there you go and have a 1-1 interview with the operations manager. He will ask you a series of general interview questions but you MUST answer them in an intelligent way otherwise they wont hire you because they feel you cannot perform or understand the weeks of training they put you through. If you pass thta you go to a 1-1 interview with your dept or you just go straight to the GM. From there the GM will ask a few very specific questions that he just comes up with. They ARE different each time. He takes your resume that you bring to both interviews and analyzes and asks questions from there. He will then give you a job offer. You can accept or decline. If you accept he will then read the, not fine print but you wouldnt have seen it, saying you must take a drug test and pass it within 24 hours or the offer is invalid. So they give you the paper work and you go get drug tested and wait for the phone call to ring asking you if you still want the job because you passed.

Interview Questions

• What are the Qualities you bring to Best buy?   View Answer
  • What are the goals of best buy? What makes us, as a company, go on each and every day?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes. I offered $9.00 an hour to work, but the GM looked at my resume and offered my $10.25 because of my experience and the way i approached him. he said i could help others... etc.

Installation Interview

Installation

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in March 2010.

Interview Details – It was a panel interview. We were asked multiple questions about the pending job. I answered everyone perfect. They had no more questions, many of my answers ran into the next questions that were being asked and they seemed very happy with that. After the interview we were not notified until approx a month later that they choose no-one.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2010.

Interview Details – Well they called and set an appointment for me to go in for the interview. The interview was supposed to be set up as a group interview, but I had to reschedule the interview so they did a 1:1 interview. I actually thought the interview process was hard because they asked a lot of question where you had to think about things in the past. They asked a lot of broad questions, which all of them seemed to be related.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you did something without someone asking you to do it?   View Answer
  • Name a time when you helped someone out?   Answer Question
  • Name a time when you were having trouble doing something and explain what you did to resolve that issue?   View Answer
  • Tell me a situation where you had trouble working with someone and what steps you toke to resolve your issue   Answer Question
  • Name a time when you completed a goal?   Answer Question

Mobile Associate Interview

Mobile Associate
Downingtown, PA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2011.

Interview Details – I applied to best buy on Friday September 30th and was called the fallowing Sunday for my first interview. This interview was relatively short lasting about 10 minutes. He basically asked questions such as how my previous work experiences were and asked me to rate my interest in working in best buy on a scale from 1 to 5. I was than asked to list 3 departments that i would be interested in working in. After naming my 3 he decided to have me interview for the mobile department. I was than scheduled for an appointment with the mobile department head the next day.
The second interview was relatively challenging. They asked a lot of "describe a situation when..." questions which require you to think back upon previous work and life experiences. Luckily before this interview i had looked up some frequently asked best buy interview questions so i was able to formulate answers previous to the interview. The trick for this interview is to appear confident, happy, and outgoing. Best buy's top priority is to get the very best employees who will be able to sell their products. Keep smiling and make your answers complete. Tell a story when answering the question instead of answering it quickly. they want to hear you talk. this interview lasted about 40 minutes. After this interview I was informed that the answers to my questions and my file information would be reviewed at a meeting with several other department heads in the store to decide weather I would be passed onto the third an final interview.
I was called 2 days after my 2nd interview and was told that the GM (General Manager) wanted to schedule an interview with me. I am going in for my interview on Friday and I'll update on what the final interview entails and share my outcome.

Interview Questions

• What would you say to a costomer who answered 'I"m just looking" after you asked if you could help them find anything.   View Answer
  • Describe a time when you went the extra mile for a costumer.   View Answer
  • Describe a situation when you had to deal with an angry costumer. How did you handle the situation and what was the outcome?   View Answer
  • What do you look for in a costumer to signify that you should begin closing the deal on a product he or she may have been looking at.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Be prepared for a long and nerve racking process. The personality test on the online application is technically considered the first interview and if you don't pass that one they wont call you. Also, dress in business attire and appear confident and relaxed. The number of interviews you have to go through will depend on the department you are applying for. for example: a friend of mine is also applying for a job there and she applied for costumer service (cashier) and she has to meet with 3 people before interviewing with the GM (general Manager) while I only had to meet with 2 prior to my interview with the GM.

Manager of Project Construction Interview

Manager of Project Construction
Richfield, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Best Buy in December 2011.

Interview Details – Initial interview started late, had little focus. Staff participants worried aloud about their own jobs. Position goals & objective were far-flung, lacking organization. 2nd panel interview was staff fretting over their potential job loss, not the interview. Hiring Director was passive, not engaged lacked nominal control in the interviews' direction.

Interview Questions

• "How would you approach these remodeling projects"?   View Answer
  • "You have more experience than any of us in the room." "Will you be able to take direction and do the work?"   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy in July 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted application was called back about 5 - 7 days later.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to create a gap management plan, what was the situation, what did you do, was it effective, how did you know you were effective, and with the knowledge you have now what would you have changed.   Answer Question

Best Buy Sales Associate Interview

Best Buy Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – One question: What should be the penalty for theft of any kind?

Negotiation Details – Talked about how much I should get paid and when to come in next for orientation.

Germantown, MD

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy in January 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview first.

Interview Question – How do you handle a bad customer.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Best Buy

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy interview questions and advice. All 1,553 interview reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees and interview candidates.