Best Buy Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
1,723 Interview Reviews

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Best Buy.

Online job application was easy but takes way to long to do. Once, you get the call, you have 2-3 interviews before last interview with the GM.

Project Team Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Best Buy.

I cannot stress professionalism when it comes to the interview for Project Team Specialist, or any position within the Project Team. Most Field Deployment Managers look for highly-motivated, physically able, hard workers who are not only good at working with their hands for long periods of time, but also good with communication skills technology.
     They DO drug test, but only pre-employment, so be clean. I would recommend highlighting technical, communication and leadership skills in the interview.

Interview Questions
    • This will vary, I have interviewed with two FDMs and several Best Buy managers, the questions are largely different every time.   Answer Question

Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Best Buy.

The interview process was disorganized. I had applied at the store 5 mins from my home but got a call from the mall store 30 minutes away. They asked if I would be okay with the commute and I said I would so they did a phone interview. During the phone interview they seemed to be trying to get me to apply for geek squad even though I had expressed interest in working as a sales associate, but I went with it because I assumed geek squad probably paid more.

Next they asked me to come in the next day for a 1 on 1 interview. The person I was supposed to interview was not there, so after being left to wait quite a long time, while watching staff hurry back and forth trying to help customers, clearly panicked and understaffed, a different manager met with me. The interview went well but it became clear that I was not interviewing for geek squad, or any particular position. They were just going to put my application in a pile and divy them all up however they wanted.

I got a call while driving home, asking me to come in for a final interview with the store manager, the next day. I had plans all day that day so I called back and asked to come in the following day and they said that was not an option and asked again if I could come in tomorrow...I said no and they scheduled me for the next day. Throughout the entire phone conversation the manager was being constantly interrupted by annoyed customers who needed assistance...this had been an ongoing problem with every phone conversation. It bothered me that they couldn't take 5 minutes to step into a back office to speak to me.

After thinking about it over the next 24 hours, and fairly certain that they "final interview" was going to be an offer, I just cancelled the interview and withdrew my application because if their interview process is so disorganized I really don't think I want to work there...

Interview Questions
    • If you were the store manager and one of your friends worked for you and tried to steal soda and chips, how would you handle it?   View Answer

PCHO Product Specialist Interview

At my interview, I waited long before I was taken into the interview room. They do that for a reason; don't get impatient! Remember that most of the time managers are a whole lot more easy going than what they seem at first, so don't be afraid to ask questions, including salary or job description.

Interview Questions
    • If they need you for a high traffic department, then expect to be asked technical questions about the products sold in that department.   Answer Question

Just be straightforward. They usually work with whatever you ask for, especially if you have experience under your belt.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and was contacted after two weeks by the assistant manager. I then had an interview and was offered a job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult situation with an angry or abusive customer   Answer Question

pay too low

Computer Sales Interview

Easy personality interview. My selection process took 2 passes: the first with a first line manager and the second with the GM.

They're looking for outgoing people to who can communicate well, so focus on telling stories that allow you to show your colors. They'll pretty much take any outgoing person. No real knowledge in the field in necessary.

Interview Questions
    • Not exactly unexpected, but a random sales role play with the general manager can catch you off guard.   View Answer
    No negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Best Buy.

Best Buy had a two round interview process starting out with a supervisor, then going onto the GM, very friendly experience depending on the managers.

Interview Questions
    • They do ask a lot of behavioral questions about experiences and teamwork.   Answer Question
    Very simple, you get an offer, it did not seem negotiable.

Connectivity Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Best Buy.

Brief Phone interview followed by an interview with a department manager followed by an interview with the GM and an immediate job offer.

Interview Questions
    • They're all pretty much canned questions about teamwork or perserverence   Answer Question
    Negotiate your pay! It is possible!

Best Buy Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Best Buy.

First you must apply online by completing a rather lengthy application and hope that it was worth your time. Soon after you may receive a phone call regarding your application and whether you are interested in scheduling an interview.

There are usually two interviews (in my experience). Remember to dress like you want the job, and that means business casual, not just casual. The first interview is with the manager of the department you will be working for (in this case the mobile manager). Be prepared to answer some basic questions such as "what makes you the right candidate for this job?" If the department manager thinks you're the right candidate for the job you will be scheduled for a second interview with the store manager. It has been said that not every employee is asked to do two interviews so don't be surprised if this happens to you as it may simply mean that you're obviously good enough or the store needs to hire someone quickly.

The second interview with the store manager is usually a repeat of the same questions asked in the first interview, but with a few new questions sprinkled in there. If my experience is anything to go by just be prepared to prove you can sell, or your really willing to try, because it's all business at Best Buy. This is also the perfect time for you to ask some questions especially if you want to know where you'll stand if something falls out of place down the line during your employment. If the store manager feels confident you're the right candidate for the job you will either be offered a job on the spot or told that you will receive a phone call at a later stage. If you're offered a job you will be required to negotiate your pay, and the job offer will be contingent on a background check and passing a urine test to discount the possibility of criminal offences or drug use respectively - the latter MUST be completed within a few days after you have been hired or your job offer may no longer be available.

You should receive a phone call a few days after completing the drug test to inform you of the results (which I'm sure you'll already know) and you will given the opportunity to schedule a day to attend an orientation meeting, which usually involves at least one other new employee. The meeting will last a few hours and involves watching videos about store policies, learning about the store discount and its rules, navigating the store, and deciding your first week hours. Remember to bring photo identification, which you may or may not be informed about prior to the meeting.

Interview Questions
    • One tricky question you may be asked: How do you know when a person is really interested in a product?   View Answer
    The negotiation phase was fairly simple, although my advice is not to be afraid to ask for what you believe you deserve as you may find that another employee with the exact same experience and responsibilities is earning more, and sometimes much more.

Sales Associate Interview

First, there was a lengthy online application. I got a call about 2 days after completing the application. However, the app was for a new store, so my guess is that they were trying to hire quickly to fill the quota.

Interview Questions
    • "Explain how you were faced with a problem and how you overcame that problem..."   Answer Question
    There wasn't really a lot of room to negotiate.