Best Buy

45 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mobile Phones Consultant Interview

Burbank, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Best Buy in September 2010.

Interview Details – Job Fair hire. Orientation on the job and then a separate training for mobile phones associates

Interview Question – A time when your integrity was challenged   Answer Question

Home Theater Sales Associate Interview

Santa Clarita, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a call that week about a "job fair". I was confused over the phone and simply asked if I was being interviewed or not? They said yes but kept calling it a "job fair"? I've been to job fairs before where multiple companies and businesses are gathered to promote and find new employees. What this really ended up being was the biggest line for a 3 portion part interview. There were probably around 40-55 people roughly that showed up is what it felt like. Luckily I was one of the first in line (get there early).

The interview was 3 parts that took place within 45min to an hour. The first step was a simple basic interview which I kinda saw as a personality and down to earth test. The 2nd was in the back stock area where the tone was much much more serious. They looked at my resume each time and they asked me about my audio background and stuff like that. It was seen that I would be a good fit for their Home Theater/ Car Fi department. I was shocked cause I only applied for cashier, although honored.

Last interview was with the store manager, somewhat re-asking similar interview questions from the first 2. He gave me the offer for seasonal Home Theater and I accepted.

Only thing was I had to reapply as Home Theater but no big deal

Interview Question – How do you keep up with technology?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Seasonal. Just given a paper of the general offer with the pay amount on it

Geek Squad Consultation Agent Interview

Northridge, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Best Buy in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online which was easy, then off to personality test. Basically all retail and behavior questions with no technical questions at all. A week later they called for a in-person interview. Showed up early but had to wait about 15 minutes because they were setting up the room and preparing for the interview. It was two girls doing the interview in a room where they monitor the surveillance camera. They had a paper of questions to ask and I guess they also rate the way you answer them because one of the girl would be writing and circling stuff. THey also didn't print out my resume that I uploaded off there website.

The questions they ask were:
"Why did I choose Best Buy"
"When did I work on a team and how did it go?"
"If I ever work retail job before?"
"When was the time I went the extra mile for a customer"
"How would you deal with a rude customer?"
"How are you with keeping up with new technologies?"

When it comes to the time for you to ask questions, ask questions relevant to the job to show that you care about it and want to know more. Since I'm computer/tech savvy and know my way around it, I asked simple questions like "What are the typical problems customer would come in for?", "I saw Geek Squad offers 3 anti-virus suite, which one is the most popular and how do you like the suite?", "What would this job mainly focus on in term of which gadget would I be working with mostly?", "How long does a usual employee stay with the company, if they get there degree do they get promoted or something?" I basically ask this question because I'm about to graduate college with a Computer Science degree and seeing if it will help my status when I get my degree. The question that I guess really surprise them was when I asked them about operating system, my question was "How are people liking Windows 8 compare to Window 7. Do people ask to downgrade or upgrade mostly" they answer it in a retail way, I guess because they didn't know much about it or they wanted to push one of the OS more than the other. I then asked if customers would ask about upgrading to Linux, if so would you recommend RedHat or Ubuntu, if so why did you pick that particular choice. There answer was "Yeah we do that too if the customer wants it". It seem like that question caught them off guard because the look on there face was like shock that I asked that question. After that I figured I shouldn't ask any more questions so I thank them, they thank me and said I should hear back from them in a week since they have to finish there other interview process. I would say I probably won't get the job because from the online searches I did, Geek Squad don't really hire people who are highly tech savvy or in the field of Comp Sci since we probably won't be able to sell there services that well or find an easy way to fix problem instead of making Geek Squad profit. The more you know about fixing things and computer related problem might hurt you, but it also depend if the person interviewing you care more about the service or sales.

Interview Question – "If a customer comes in with the idea of buying a electronic gadget but don't know what he wants and just tell you he's into music, how would you go about helping him". This one wasn't difficult but the way it was asked in the interview was worded weird.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Geek Squad, Home Theater Specialist Interview

Geek Squad, Home Theater Specialist
El Segundo, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Best Buy in August 2012.

Interview Details – I had 2 interviews. the first was just about my former job and what i did. 2nd interview was just to test my personality.

Interview Question – There was nothing difficult about the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Dont under sale yourself for a job here. I took lower pay in order to pay bills only to get hired to train a new guy that got paid more than me.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2013.

Interview Details – You normally go through a three interview process and have to pass the online test in order to be scheduled for a first interview. Things that stand out on online application are past work experience, availability is a plus especially on the weekends Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Interview Question – As a hiring manager many applicants didn't know how to explain a past experience in regards to the best customer service ever given or received or a time they had a difficult person to deal with and how they handled it.   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Sales Consultant
Costa Mesa, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2012.

Interview Details – There are three interviews that take place, one over the phone with 'Back Office Lead' which is the employee in charge of paperwork throughout the store, second with department manager, and third with General Manager. The second interview is where the impression is given the Department manager asks questions about team work, ethics, previous experience, etc. If the process reaches the third interview the interviewee has an 80% probability of getting hired, so the GM would discuss pay and a contract would be signed.

Interview Question – The interview process is simple, yet retains questions that are open ended. Team involvment, prior experience, are usually the most challenging. Therefore, interviewee should be confident and perhaps provide stories that will relate to their personal lives and/or setting as such.   Answer Question

Mobile Sales Consultant Interview

Los Angeles, CA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Best Buy in January 2014.

Interview Details – Had a total of 3 interviews. Got called in to interview with the department manager, the whole time he was really courteous and attentive and it didnt seem at all like he was reading off a script. He then scheduled me for a second interview with the central manager the next day. The second interview was relaxed and went by quick, I was scheduled for a third and final interview with the general manager the very same night. After talking to the general manager about availability I was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – Very simple basic questions. As long as you're enthusiastic and energized you should have no problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Threw a number out there based on what I thought I deserved and they shot it down and offered me more then what I asked. there reason was that that they thought I was worth more then what I asked. Great confidence boost. Dont be afraid to negotiate!

Very Easy Interview

Computer Sales Consultant Interview

Torrance, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process was quick, precise and gave a feeling that they respected your appearance and accomplishments in life. Also, they spoke to you as a person not as a number!

Interview Question – None, because they interviewed with professionalism   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – On 2nd interview I was offered the job

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – applied online through their website, got a call to schedule an interview about 2 weeks later. Scheduled the interview for the next day. Was interviewed by 2 managers and was offered the position on the spot starting at $9.50. They asked me how much I wanted to be paid and I replied I was open. They asked me how much I had made at my previous theater job which was $8 and he offered to pay me $9.50. Friendly interview. They asked why I wanted to work at Best Buy, what experience I had at my previous jobs, what I liked most about those jobs, what I found the hardest, what good customer service is.

Interview Question – asked what my favorite song and movie was.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Downey, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Best Buy in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email with an interview date about a week later. I arrived early and they had me along with three others wait for a few minutes before they called us into a back room. It was two workers holding a group interview. They had forms to take notes on each of us when we answered their questions. I personally don't do well during group interviews so I did not have a good experience. Despite telling us to relax and take it easy during the process, I didn't feel comfortable with the employees talking to us. The whole thing was pretty picky for a part time cashier gig. It took us an hour or so to go through 4 questions. At the end they told us if they wanted to continue the interview process with us or not we would receive an email by the end of the week. I received mine that Friday stating they would not continue with me.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you didn't get along with a fellow employee.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy interview questions and advice in Los Angeles, CA. All 45 interview reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees and interview candidates.