Best Buy

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mira Loma, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – My personal interview was for a job at the store that wasn't open yet, so it took place at a safe, nearby hotel. Directions were clear, not shady. I had one interview with a supervisor and another gentleman, and second interview with a General Manager. After being informed that I got the job, all hired employees were required to fill out tax information at the hotel until construction on the building was complete.

Interview Question – The questions weren't hard, they just required me to be honest, friendly and familiar with video games.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really isn't one, it's retail so in starting out they set you at the lowest pay rate (which is still above minimum wage).

Very Easy Interview

Farmington Hills, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Best Buy in January 2009.

Interview Details – Walked in and was greeted very promptly by the hiring manager. Straight to the point but always felt like the entire floor of employees was watching to see if I fit into the fold.

Interview Question – "How would you go about taking over my job if offered?" very awkward question   View Answer

Media Specialist Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied Online, in about a week got a call for an interview. Was told to wear business casual. Had an interview with one manager from Media department, and then one from the general manager of the store.

Interview Question – Sell me something, Had to sell an item in a room to the manager.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Greenville, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in July 2008.

Interview Details – You have to complete a grueling 100 question "personality test" as part of the application process. If you "fail" it, your application is automatically cancelled and never makes it to the store managers AND you're not told if you fail or pass. You just have to call the store frequently and as if they've got your application. I failed it three times... and after finally making it and working at the store for three years, I was awarded MVP. So much for the test...

I had a two-interview process. First with the store manager and a second with the GM. Just general questions about why you like technology and sales experience.

Interview Question – "If you see a customer looking to buy a CD, what other products/services would you attach to that sale to make their experience even better."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. "Here's your starting pay" followed by a handshake.

Very Easy Interview

Lees Summit, MO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2008.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online and I was called about a week later to come in for an interview. I showed up about 10 minutes early, told the front door Loss Prevention employee what I was there for and he directed me towards the chairs by Customer Service. I sat there for about 20 minutes until one of the employees wandered up to me and asked me to come with him. He led me to the little furniture section and we sat out in the middle of it, using a desk that was out on display and a couple chairs. It was kind of awkward interviewing out there as a few customers walked by while I was talking.

Once that was completed he said they would be calling back in a week or two to let me know. I received a call back about a week later, and they arranged another interview with the store manager. Some more of the same old same old except it was actually in a store room so there weren't customers walking by this time.

Interview Question – Tell about a time where you had to help someone in need.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There weren't negotiations. I put down $7.00 as requested wage, but they said their standard was $8.00 for all starting standard employees.

Media Specialist

The process took a day - interviewed at Best Buy in July 2009.

Interview Details – When you walk in they tell customer service that you have an interview and they will tell you to wait for the hiring manager. When the hiring manager arrives they will talk to you a small room and ask you a series of questions. Ex. Tell me about a situation where you worked with a angry customer, tell me about a time when you worked as a team etc.

Interview Questions

Media Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in June 2009.

Interview Details – First I had a brief phone interview, then interviewed in person with the Operations Manager, then had a final interview with the General Manager. I was asked standard interview questions such as "describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer", "what would you say are your strengths and weaknesses", and "how would you approach a customer." The interview with the Operations Manager was a little over half an hour and the interview with the General Manager was about 10-15 minutes.

Interview Questions

Media Specialist

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2009.

Interview Details – First i had a phone interview. FYI make sure you answer your phone because its impossible to get a hold of the hr that called you. I then went to a job fair at the store in witch i had a interview set up. He asked me some basic questions why i applied and why best buy. He said i did good and would like to set up an interview with the manager of the store.

Interview Question – Why Best Buy?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Best Buy

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy Media Specialist interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees and interview candidates.